• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I'll give this a big +1, I love the Microstream, mine goes everywhere with me. Agree with you on all points, not the brightest light but it puts out very good light for one AAA battery and is so small it is very easy to carry.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I'll give this a big +1, I love the Microstream, mine goes everywhere with me. Agree with you on all points, not the brightest light but it puts out very good light for one AAA battery and is so small it is very easy to carry.

But as you know it isn't small enough to get lost.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    Love mine.
    stream_zpsebae5b94.jpg

I was at a wedding reception, and one the guests at my table dropped something under it. I wanted to help, so out came the micro, but it seemed much brighter then it should have. As it turned out I wasn't the only one using their microstream to help. I ended yakking with that guest about how great a light it is. My wife was :rolleyes: at the EDC dork-ery...

Aztekker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    I *always* have a Photon II Micro-Light and a SOG Micron Tanto knife with me. I have them on all of my vehicle key rings, plus on my camper key rings.

Both are small, rugged, reliable, and affordable. I have only lost one of my tiny SOGs to TSA over the past 10 years or so.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Not to get in a EDC light argument... just my opinion...

I just got an Olight O'Pen (Also marketed by 4Sevens under a different name for more money). I think it is quickly going to become my EDC...

It's your normal pen-light for most situation except the brightness. On super it is 180 lumens. It looks very inconspicuous (just like an ink-pen) because it's a slim, sleek-body 2X AAA light with a pen-styled clicky switch on the top.

I really like it because it's super small, but has the light output of a larger light if I need a quick burst of light (battery life on turbo is only around 20 minutes I think).

Cost: I got mine for $36 (tax, shipping, surcharges, and licensing fees included)

Latarka_Olight_OPen_XPG2_1.jpg

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI

I just got an Olight O'Pen (Also marketed by 4Sevens under a different name for more money). I think it is quickly going to become my EDC...

It's your normal pen-light for most situation except the brightness. On super it is 180 lumens. It looks very inconspicuous (just like an ink-pen) because it's a slim, sleek-body 2X AAA light with a pen-styled clicky switch on the top.

I really like it because it's super small, but has the light output of a larger light if I need a quick burst of light (battery life on turbo is only around 20 minutes I think).

Cost: I got mine for $36 (tax, shipping, surcharges, and licensing fees included)

Basically, this light was co-developed by 4Sevens and Olight. The Olight version is marketed over seas, and the 47's version in the US. For the simple reason of having a US warranty, I'd recommend going with the 4sevens version.

We have a video on our product page that shows this light off.

Search Results: penlight

AS stated above, it's a pretty slick little light.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer

I will have to try that light out. The microstream is great because it is very short and will fit in your front jeans/pants pocket but 180 lumens is pretty bright.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    For the simple reason of having a US warranty, I'd recommend going with the 4sevens version.
    While I certainly understand some people would want the 4sevens 10 yr warranty, the additional cost wasn't worth it to me. I weighed my options pretty carefully. I decided that the Olight 2 yr warranty was enough for me. If it doesn't fail within 2 years it probably won't fail on it's own and if it does it will likely be obsolete anyways.
    FWIW
    4Sevens version is $50 plus shipping if you find it on-sale
    Olight version was purchased from hkequipment.net in Hong-Kong for $36 free shipping

At $14+ savings per light, for every 2 Olights I buy I can get a spare one at no cost over the 4sevens. I'll happily take spares over a better warranty.

It's just going to be a matter of personal preference. I have no dog in the fight.

I will have to try that light out. The microstream is great because it is very short and will fit in your front jeans/pants pocket but 180 lumens is pretty bright.
    I was a bit hesitant at buying a 2X AAA light too because of the added length but the extra output won me over. This light easily fits in my front jeans pocket.

FWIW:
    Olight O'pen/4sevens Preon, L: 5.3", D: .5", .79 oz
    Micro-stream, L: 3.5", D: .6", 1.04 oz

The O'pen is 1.8" longer but slightly slimmer and a bit lighter (without the batteries). If you were closer I'd let you try one out for a week or so...

I'll stop my thread-jack now. The Microstream definitely looks like a good EDC light as well. It will just be a matter of personal preference/use patterns. Thanks for the good review!!!

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Be careful on the Olight two year warranty. It used to be that if you didn't buy it from a US dealer, Olight USA wouldn't warranty the work, you had to send it back to China. Being that the Olight version isn't available in the States, I would guess that if you had any issues your only option is to send it back to China or eat the cost of the light.

With iNGO coupon we sell these for $45.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

There have been several new lights that have been released since the Microstream came out that are much improved in their design and output. That one looks pretty sweet. I like that, while still small, the added length would give you something to potentially strike with if necessary. Pretty slick for a sub-$50 light.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    There have been several new lights that have been released since the Microstream came out that are much improved in their design and output. That one looks pretty sweet. I like that, while still small, the added length would give you something to potentially strike with if necessary. Pretty slick for a sub-$50 light.
    Yes, good point... the tip near the reflector narrows a bit and the glass is recessed. Smaller surface area = greater force... you may be on to something...

FWIW, Outside Diameter at lens is .412,, inside Diamter .355, and lens is recessed .098".
    That means the bezel is going to penetrate about 1/8" before it comes up against a lot of resistance from the lens...

Gripped with a solid, striking grip (thumb wrapped over tail-cap) there is 1.3" protruding from my medium size hands. That is plenty to inflict some trauma.

At minimum it would leave a small "scope-bite" type of cut, but with enough force a .412" diameter object can leave some real blunt force trauma...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just curious, why would I hit someone with a tiny flashlight when I have a knife right next to it in my pocket?

Great question.

Perhaps the light will be what's already in your hand at the time you need it.

Perhaps you need a force option that isn't as high on the force continuum as a knife.

Perhaps you need to hit someone to get them off of you but you don't want to risk their unnecessary bleeding into your mouth or eyes.

Perhaps you're in an environment where a knife isn't permissible, but a small flashlight is.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Great question.

Perhaps the light will be what's already in your hand at the time you need it.

Perhaps you need a force option that isn't a high on the force continuum as a knife.

Perhaps you need to hit someone to get them off of you but you don't want to risk their unnecessary bleeding into your mouth or eyes.

Perhaps you're in an environment where a knife isn't permissible, but a small flashlight is.

Nice answers.

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have whatever the 2 AA version of that is (think its the stylus pro) carry it clipped in my pocket on duty for things like SFST, vehicle searches, and other things where i dont want my 600 lumen streamlight blinding me and everyone else around me. perfect light for what i use it for.

Top Bottom