• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I attended my first Appleseed on March 21-22 in Nashville at the HHRP Club range. I have shot rifles all my life, a little instruction in Cub Scouts, but otherwise unschooled in the art of shooting a rifle. The weather was great and the instructors were outstanding.

I learned a lot but did not earn my Rifleman patch. Now I have the knowledge to practice, improve and go back and try again for the patch. I also really enjoyed the storytelling about our nation's birth and the people who made a difference.

If you have never attended an Appleseed and you are on this forum you absolutely must go! Just show up with an open mind and a willingness to learn and you can make great strides in marksmanship.

Thanks again to Brian, Uncle Davey, TJ, Rayne and Mudcat for all your help.

Cheers,
    Tony

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    We're going to Crawfordsville 4/18-19

Excellent choice! Crawfordsville was my first shoot as well! They're all good... but being my first, ATM holds a special place in my heart now... plus, he serves bacon!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'll second that report. The instructors were top notch. Facilities at Nashville were great*! It was good to meet you Prof!

I learned SOOOO much. I walked in shooting "OK" using the techniques I learned over the last 30 years. By the end of the first day I was doubting my skills using the taught techniques. I barely qualified as a marksman. (lowest rating) I was disappointed and that night I set my sights on the next level of "sharpshooter" with eventually earning my Rifleman patch. I expected these to come via additional Appleseed events over the next year or two. By mid morning the second day however it just clicked and I managed to eek out my Sharpshooter patch by 5 points. :rockwoot:

Oh, and if you have ANY knee/leg problems and they ask if "you have had knee SURGERY", take them up on it and speak up. I didnt have surgery but I do have a bum knee that can flare up and I'm still hobbling around from all the up and down during AQT. I should have taken them up on the accommodation. (TOTALLY my bad for underestimating my physical limits)

Oh, and TJ, I told the wife you gave me permission to go to Camp Perry to get an M1, but she didnt buy it. :): Thanks again for your hospitality and generosity on your M1. Nothing like FEELING the ping of that last round. (Including the top of my head where the clip tends to land :):)

Bottom line, if you havent done Appleseed, you are missing out. The stories/history lessons are amazing, and the instructors will teach you more that you expect. I'm already looking to tag along with another buddy who is going to his first.

*meaning if you dont mind a clean portapotty and a well maintained basic range you will be fine. Nothing fancy but it was everything we needed with no annoyances. The permanently installed steel targets are a blast! I'm an hour away and considering a membership to the range.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    If you have any trouble, the Instructors usually have a loaner rifle or two. Just let us know how we can help.

Indeed! There have always been loaners available for Appleseed shoots.
    If in doubt, check with INGO as many members will loan rifles as well (myself included).
    Lately, ammo has become the more difficult thing to come by for a shoot. If anyone can spare it, consider donating some at any given shoot. It helps immensely.

Thegeek

Master
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Greatly appreciated! I talked to the wifey and she said she would approve the purchase of another entry level .22 for him for his b-day.... which is the day before our class. Plenty of time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Greatly appreciated! I talked to the wifey and she said she would approve the purchase of another entry level .22 for him for his b-day.... which is the day before our class. Plenty of time.

MAYBE. Make sure you get the correct rings and sling (below), and be prepared to take it to the range right after you buy it and make sure its zeroed in at 25 yards. They expect you to have the correct equipment, as well as having it properly sighted in so you hit the ground running. You dont want to be behind the curve of an improperly sighted rifle, and without the proper sling its a wasted trip as the whole class revolves around that sling. (OK, not THAT sling, but a GI sling... not the padded hunting slings you buy at walmart.)

Get this sling/rings. The ones I find on the shelf are more expensive, and not as sturdy. Also note most retail and factory sling rings are sized for 1" slings. This is a 1 1/4" sling.

Sights & Slings

ETA: Bradis II has acceptable GI slings with lighter weight hardware on the shelf.

Thegeek

Master
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    From now until July is a lot of time. I downloaded their how-to-prepare and printable checklist.

So far, on the to-get-list:
    Ruger 10/22
    2x Vortex Crossfire scopes and mounts.
    2x slings from the Appleseed store.
    2x sling rings.
    6x 10rd magazines

I'll take his rifle to a range a week or two before the event and get it zeroed. But as part of a b-day present, I'll have to be careful not to let him see it.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sorry, I misread that last night... Not that his birthday was the day before, but that you were planning on buying the rifle the day before. Duh. Of COURSE you would buy it before the actual day you needed to gift it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'll be going to some this season. I am moving next week, should get my firearms back from my brother before the end of the month. Then I have to mount a scope on my 10/22 and find a way/place to get it zeroed. I think I need a sling but not sure. I may have one I can rob off another rifle.

I also would like to have my AR built and try a couple AQT's with it. But that won't stop me from attending the first one I am ready for!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'll be going to some this season. I am moving next week, should get my firearms back from my brother before the end of the month. Then I have to mount a scope on my 10/22 and find a way/place to get it zeroed. I think I need a sling but not sure. I may have one I can rob off another rifle.

I also would like to have my AR built and try a couple AQT's with it. But that won't stop me from attending the first one I am ready for!

Glad you enjoyed it! I think they are a lot of fun and for me with not much shooting under my belt, I am using them as a way to get better this year. Plus you get to shoot a lot!:)

Gallawho

Plinker
    Feb 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I did an appleseed shoot about 2 years ago, I thought it was gonna be a pretty remedial course. Actually it turns out they have some very good instructions, and I learned a lot about natural point of aim, and cheek weld. I highly recommend attending one. Ended up being the first marksman of the day!

IMAG0053.jpg

nad63

Expert
    Oct 3, 2011
    I did an appleseed shoot about 2 years ago, I thought it was gonna be a pretty remedial course. Actually it turns out they have some very good instructions, and I learned a lot about natural point of aim, and cheek weld. I highly recommend attending one. Ended up being the first marksman of the day!

View attachment 53368

i agree with what you said and note this thread is 2 years old. If you are looking for a similar rewarding experience check out Revere's Riders. There's been several changes over the past year or two!
    Welcome to INGO.

Gallawho

Plinker
    Feb 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I did see that it was old, but I had appleseed on my mind and searched for a thread about it. Apologies, and I will look up the Revere's Riders thanks!

Top Bottom