• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtgasten

Expert
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    i need help. my girlfriends brother just let me borrow his muzzleloader so i can get used to it and learn how it works and stuff for when muzzleloading season comes along. So, anybody have hints, tips, strategies? anything?? im really outa the loop on this one. how do i pack it? what happens if i pack it too tight? too loose? etc...i need lots of help guys, any post is appreciated.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Oh boy. Did he really let you have it without even a single word on how to load it?

How come he doesn't like you too much?

'Fess up and ask him to show you. I don't know what else to say.

shooter1054

Master
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    If it is a modern ML, use pellets instead of loose powder. I like the new "White Hots". It is a little cleaner than pyrodex or 777 pellets. Also, depending on how long your shots are where you hunt, use 2 pellets instead of 3. If a normal shot is under 100 yards, using 3 doesn't gain anything IMHO. I have taken deer with mine using 2 pellets without any issue, and never really felt like I was under powered. If you are in the Indy area, shoot me a pm and I can meet you at a range and give you any help I can.

canamscott

Marksman
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    If this is a sidelock, put a cap on the nipple and fire before you load it. This makes sure the chamber/barrel are dry and reduces the chance of a misfire.

There are many high tech bullets and sabots out there, but I have found equal accuracy to 50 yards with old fashioned round ball and cloth patch. There are also multiple products and recipes for patch lube. Last year I just coated them in mineral oil and they performed perfect.

There are many opinions on powder load. You will have to come up with your own. Here is what I use. For target shooting I load 35 grains. For hunting I use 70-85 grains depending upon the range I am anticipating.

I wish you practice and good skill (I don't believe in luck).

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Dec 21, 2010
    Need more details on the rifle and any acessories you may currently have for it. Also need to know how old is it and what shape is it in?

23mar03

Marksman
    Aug 6, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    ^That is important. Do not put a .50 ball into a .45 barrel. It'll get stuck! Also if it is older, it may have rust and/or have a weak breech that is unable to hold a large charge of powder.

If you are using a 'old-fashioned' muzzleloader that is NOT an inline and uses a side hammer(flintlock, Hawkins, etc) and planning to use loose powder, then listen up.
    I always use loose powder, ball and(sometimes) mini-ball and I have never had a misfire.
    You can put a cap on the nipple and fire it to dry the inside of the barrel, but I have never done that and since I know where my rifle is and how its been treated(cleaned,etc), probably never will.
    I always have a small tube or container(the width of the breech) that allows me to measure how much powder is poured down the barrel. I normally go with 80 to 100 grains. If you are shooting a ball, you need to place a patch/grease between the ball/mini-ball and powder. I use a patch for shooting ball and grease for shooting mini. (Just got into the habit)
    Once you have started the ball or mini down the barrel, draw you rod(attached to the rifle) and with the curved end, firmly push the round down the barrel until it seats(until it goes down most of the rod's length and will not go any further). I usually draw the rod back most of the way out and then bounce the rod off the round until it bounces back(a sign that the round is fully seated).
    Withdraw the rod and put it back into it's place underneath the barrel. Place a prime cap in the nipple and it's game on.

mtgasten

Expert
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    Need more details on the rifle and any acessories you may currently have for it. Also need to know how old is it and what shape is it in?

its a .50 cal remington genesis, his dad bought it for him and hasnt been used for anything since then. Its been in storage ever since, i need to break it down and clean it, but their arent any instructions on how...he did however explain how the powder works and how to put the ammo in and whatnot along with where to put the primer. its a very nice looking gun and ALOT heavier than i first expected. I am very excited to get to practice with it, any places in indianapolis that will let me use it on their range?

mtgasten

Expert
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    Oh boy. Did he really let you have it without even a single word on how to load it?

How come he doesn't like you too much?

'Fess up and ask him to show you. I don't know what else to say.

i would ask him to show me, but he's currently headed back to Fort Hood Texas.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Dec 21, 2010
    its a .50 cal remington genesis, his dad bought it for him and hasnt been used for anything since then. Its been in storage ever since, i need to break it down and clean it, but their arent any instructions on how...he did however explain how the powder works and how to put the ammo in and whatnot along with where to put the primer. its a very nice looking gun and ALOT heavier than i first expected. I am very excited to get to practice with it, any places in indianapolis that will let me use it on their range?

I do not have any 1st hand experience with this particular ML so I will not go too far in suggestions. I would suggest you contact the MFG and get specific info for the rifle especially powder types and charge sizes.

You might want to poke around over on modernmuzzleloading.com or doug'smessageboard.com and see who could help you, lots of helpful ML'ing folks.

I will say I am a fan of loose powders. I tried the pellets and I could never get my rifles to dial in with them like I can with loose.

Good luck and keep us posted.

tips? Keep your powder dry!

Seriously though, there's not much to it, but I would suggest getting with someone experienced with muzzleloaders and put some range time in with them. As a beginner I would suggest getting 777 or Pyrodex pellets, some projectiles, powerbelt or sabots, some 209 primers. Start with 2 pellets, stuff the projectile home ( rod should hop when thrown down at it); insert primer and fire.

Top Bottom