• ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Curious question.

How many prepared folks would mark themselves as safe harbor for like minded folks just trying to get home?

Here is the scenario.

A like minded individual, or low count team of like minded individuals, is trying to get home. By foot, by bicycle, by horse, by car or otherwise, they are just trying to get home. Let's say these like minded folks are working on the road, away from friends and family. Maybe it is all that they know. Say they are 1,000 miles or more from their home. Would you offer up your sanctuary, for a short period of time, to allow them to rest and recoup? To resupply and head home? What would you require in trade? Standing watch while you and yours sleep? Splitting 5 cords of wood for a weeks refuge? What would you be willing to sacrifice given a 100% trust, 100% ride or die mentality for these warry travelers who just want to get home to their families?

Some might be willing to leave cache's at your property with an expressed expiration date for holding. Some may end up deciding that is far as they can get and want to stay on to support your family, group or community.

What would you be willing to offer as support for others like us all who would need a little help getting home?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Interesting question, and I just automatically default to “of course”, but I do suppose it really comes down to “it depends”.

It depends a lot on how they present themselves, first. Humble or aggressive would make the biggest difference.

It depends on the situation, whether we’re just holing up, seriously hiding, or in some sort of fight, and the suspicion level a guest would bring, or cause.

My default is ‘we are all in this together’, but then we have to realize there is a point reached ‘until we’re not’, and discernment will be one of the most valuable talents in the situation you describe.

To further answer your question I think the traveler just has to show they’re “on team”, whatever that looks like.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The simple answer is that I'm not set up to host anything like that. Even if I had the multiple sets of eyes to guard the travelers, (and guard from the travelers,) it wouldn't be worth the risk of the security breach.

Folks with the best of intentions could be compromised down the road, giving up all of the sanctuary locations that they have rested at. A gun to a loved one's head or going further into torture will quickly bring out all the talking there is to be had.

Being a host for such would change yourself from flying under the radar to always wondering when an attack will happen. Be it from marauders or govt, your position would be compromised.

Last edited:

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    This is the wonderful question we can re play in our heads for every scenario. Yet when the time comes that situation it will play out differently. Only if you keep your doors shut you know what the outcome might be. They will try it out or leave. 50/50 odds.

Now personally I would love to have a group of people. Solid individuals with a campground type compound/property. Everyone contributes like a moral civilization. Knowing that these people have integrity (that still is a thing) so all of the chores, duties, security, and thinking is done as a community. This is possible but never as a country.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If there was enough incentive and exclusion from security breaches, I could see area groups organizing OFF SIGHT locations that don't trace back to individual properties. Maybe on public grounds, school properties, etc?

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Good question. 4 good answers. I held off answering to gather a consensus. I myself am of the vetting school of thought. Unfortunately for our travelers my own vetting process takes many months if not years, so unless your family you most likely will not be welcomed. In a true crisis situation the danger of making a bad decision could lead to one or more of my charges loosing their life, a risk I’m not willing to take for a stranger. JMO.

I ask all, to please do some research into the situation during and after Katrina, not just a few newspaper articles but true research. First hand accounts from a broad range of people that were actually there. Then ask yourself, what would/should you do.

I’m in no way new to this game. I’ve anticipated a nation wide melt down for over 4 decades, and made preparation for such a situation from the ground up literally. When I chose my place it was a bean field. I’ve proved it up for the specific reason of it being my redoubt. Every decision I make is with that goal in mind. Again “good question” and good luck in your endeavors.

ETA: Good research is where, why, how, Col. Cooper built his home.

Last edited:

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Good question. 4 good answers. I held off answering to gather a consensus. I myself am of the vetting school of thought. Unfortunately for our travelers my own vetting process takes many months if not years, so unless your family you most likely will not be welcomed. In a true crisis situation the danger of making a bad decision could lead to one or more of my charges loosing their life, a risk I’m not willing to take for a stranger. JMO.

I ask all, to please do some research into the situation during and after Katrina, not just a few newspaper articles but true research. First hand accounts from a broad range of people that were actually there. Then ask yourself, what would/should you do.

I’m in no way new to this game. I’ve anticipated a nation wide melt down for over 4 decades, and made preparation for such a situation from the ground up literally. When I chose my place it was a bean field. I’ve proved it up for the specific reason of it being my redoubt. Every decision I make is with that goal in mind. Again “good question” and good luck in your endeavors.

ETA: Good research is where, why, how, Col. Cooper built his home.
    Great essay...you and I sir, have much in common.
    Do you remember Mel Tappan? His books in the early eighthys opened my eyes and started me down this path

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have to go buckets.
    I have a local bridge where those buckets are placed (several actually). I bridge provides cover from rain or snow a small amount of dry wood is under them. The bucket holds enough food for four for a little over a day.

Eat/sleep move on.

I have checked these stashed items a few times this year and so far they are un disturbed. I replenished the oldest one with a few items. Rotate the old out.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Great essay...you and I sir, have much in common.
    Do you remember Mel Tappan? His books in the early eighthys opened my eyes and started me down this path
    Yes I do remember him, started reading his column in guns and ammo then read his book on survival guns. Don’t know if he was the reason for my thoughts on the downfall of America as we know it, but he certainly influenced and reinforced my thinking. He will be missed and he was a great influence on many of todays thinking ahead proponents.

Like him I guess all I had to do was read history. Then learn what happens to a state that falls into a fiat monetary system. Doesn’t take much more than that to open the eyes of anybody that’s half way intelligent.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Interesting perspectives, I appreciate the input. The idea is that to "pre-vet" these travelers. To work out any details, prove value and build trust prior to a need of support. As travel is experienced those in the area or on the path to and from would have their trust strengthened.

Cashes are something that have been put in place, as mentioned, checked, re-stocked and updated as travel through those areas allow. Most are buried in out of the way places tracked only by GPS coordinates and multi page maps, local markers recognizable by other travelers, shared among the group.

Thanks all.

Top Bottom