Moving to Indiana from California, Pay tax again on my truck?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blockfort

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Bloomington
    I'm moving to Indiana in March and will need a truck for the move, and for home construction after. If I buy in Cali, will I have to pay tax again when I transfer the registration to Indiana?

The other option will be to buy a truck when I'm in Indiana in the fall, and drive it to back Cali for the last few months before I move permanently.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    If you are referring to Sales Tax, No, If California is at least 7%. If Lower you pay the difference. There is a Registration Fee every year on your license plates

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Welcome to the United States of America. Since you've found INGO I take it you have an interest in firearms?

Blockfort

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Bloomington
    Welcome to the United States of America. Since you've found INGO I take it you have an interest in firearms?

I sure do. One of the reasons I'm moving from California to Indiana.

I wish there was some IDPA closer to Bloomington though. Here in LA, I have to drive an hour to get to my local range. Seems like Bloomington will be the same, at least for IDPA.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I wish there was some IDPA closer to Bloomington though. Here in LA, I have to drive an hour to get to my local range. Seems like Bloomington will be the same, at least for IDPA.

Bloomington is our very own "ComiFornia"
    Lib BS abounds down there.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

I second what Churchmouse says on Bloomington. For you coming from LA, B-town may lean to the right, for us not so much.

You can definitely find some ranges around here.

Blockfort

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Bloomington
    Bloomington is our very own "ComiFornia"
    Lib BS abounds down there.

Technically I'll be in Monroe County, outside the bloomington city border. I called and asked the sheriff's office if I can shoot on my own property and she said "sure, if you do it safely". I'm not sure if that's really true, but I'm going to ask in person when I get there, and see how my sparse neighbors feel about it.

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Welcome to Indiana. I came from Michigan and found Indiana to be an awesome state for gun enthusiasts. I didnt realize how bad Michigan was until I came here. I am confident that you will find the same (likely even better for you)!

Enjoy.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you are talking out in the country (not a subdivision) why wouldn't you be able to shoot. What part of Monroe county?

This! In the very rural parts of the state, the Deputy you spoke with is correct.

Welcome back to America!

Blockfort

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Bloomington
    If you are talking out in the country (not a subdivision) why wouldn't you be able to shoot. What part of Monroe county?

Literally just outside the city border, near the fairgrounds and county airport.

I was a little doubtful that I could shoot on my land because I currently live in a city where you're not allowed to fire an air powered bb gun even in your own home.

There may be restrictions with me being near the airport, but I have 6 acres, and a slope in the back, with empty county land on the other side of the slope. I hope I can set up a 100y test range in my back yard.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Literally just outside the city border, near the fairgrounds and county airport.

I was a little doubtful that I could shoot on my land because I currently live in a city where you're not allowed to fire an air powered bb gun even in your own home.

There may be restrictions with me being near the airport, but I have 6 acres, and a slope in the back, with empty county land on the other side of the slope. I hope I can set up a 100y test range in my back yard.

Welcome.

It's still kind of "America" here in Indiana and I think you will find that very refreshing.

I live in a different rural county and we have a home shooting range, as do some of our neighbors. The reaction from the neighbors is "what kind of new gun did you get and can I try it?" I would have mixed feelings about talking to the neighbors first. It could be wise, but if they are anti-gun it could be like you are asking permission for something you don't need to ask permission for. That's assuming of course you are being respectful of normal sleeping hours and such. In most rural areas though, it's pretty gun-friendly.

I only contacted my neighbors once when I had taken a night shooting class, and intended to do a night shoot at home. I thought that might worry them to hear repeated gunfire at night.

The sheriff departments around here often teach firearms classes to civilians and encourage concealed carry.

Whatever truck you have, it will fit in just fine in rural Indiana.

Oh... and don't buy one when you get here. Ours have a lot of rust unfortunately. Bringing yours along could be a good idea.

I hope you find good neighbors. Neighbors in a rural area, while few and far between, can be a tremendous asset.

Last edited:

Blockfort

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Bloomington
    I hope you find good neighbors. Neighbors in a rural area, while few and far between, can be a tremendous asset.

One neighbor emailed me when he read an interview I did about buying the house (it's an old house). He offered me use of his bush hog, chainsaw, and tractor, and said he could get me started fishing and hunting in his favorite spots.

Another neighbor was related to the man who lived in my house (he passed away), and the neighbor has been secretly mowing our lawn while the house is empty.

I asked the health department inspector if we will need to install a new septic and he said yes, because whatever is there isn't recorded and is most likely very old. I would need a survey to figure out a good spot for the system though. A month later I called him to ask about soil tests and he said that after the first phone call, he had gone, on his own, to my property to check it out.

Indiana has some good people.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    One neighbor emailed me when he read an interview I did about buying the house (it's an old house). He offered me use of his bush hog, chainsaw, and tractor, and said he could get me started fishing and hunting in his favorite spots.

Another neighbor was related to the man who lived in my house (he passed away), and the neighbor has been secretly mowing our lawn while the house is empty.

I asked the health department inspector if we will need to install a new septic and he said yes, because whatever is there isn't recorded and is most likely very old. I would need a survey to figure out a good spot for the system though. A month later I called him to ask about soil tests and he said that after the first phone call, he had gone, on his own, to my property to check it out.

Depending, that might cost you $10-15,000

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Get used to it :). This is nothing new for rural IN. Add this to your vocabulary: "Hoosier Hospitality". Its a VERY common term. And absolutely true.

For example, I just got back from a weeklong vacation to Canada. While telling my neighbors I'd be gone and to watch the house for illicit activity, I also instructed them (not offered, but INSTRUCTED/DEMANDED :):) to venture into my backyard and harvest all the ripe tomatoes they could stomach. They would do nothing but ripen and die on the vine in our absence. I'd rather SOMEBODY eat them than they fall off and turn into fertilizer. If I didnt collect them, they'd be wasted so I might as well share them with my neighbors so they arent wasted.

And I grabbed a couple tonight when I got home, and they are just as sweet as I remember them. :rockwoot:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Welcome!

Some great INGOers in and around the area, and I'm sure it won't take long to meet up with them. Shouldn't have to go too far to find a match, and like others said, shooting on the property is good to go. Just be safe, have a good backstop, and follow the 4 rules.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Bloomington is the San Francisco of Indiana....very very very liberal......out in the county not so much.......if you plan on doing any work to your place get ready to jump through a bunch of hoops and if you don't you will come home to find a sign in your yard......

then you have to go plead your case to the commissioners and if they don't like it.....that's tough.......

if you need any HVAC,electrical or plumbing work done pm me........and welcome to the great state of Indiana....:ingo: :patriot:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Do they still build different trucks to fit CA Emission Standards?? If so, I would buy a truck here and drive it back to CA to get your stuff. The couple of extra MPG adds up over time.

Welcome to Indiana

Top Bottom