Moving a gun safe? To the second floor...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    <-------- just thought I'd point this out also :ingo::yesway: (got my badge)

Anyhow, 650lb safe, 2'x'3'x5', I need to move it from the First floor to the Second floor... Any one know places that can move this thing upstairs and also wouldn't charge an arm and a leg; but, are also insured for arms and legs and maybe a wall...

%21BnGRMHgBmk%7E$%28KGrHqYOKk%21Etl1KsJelBLiICKkRr%21%7E%7E_12.JPG

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    See if you can rent a climbing furniture dolly at a rental place. It has 3 sets of wheels that are motorized to climb stairs.

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    hummm, I've seen the ones with wheels but not the motorized ones... Not sure I want to try balancing it up the stairs though. I'll price both someone moving it vs. renting that dolly.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Unlike the past there are several safes which come apart and put back together for just that reason. Second floors can be nasty if the stairs has that 180 or 90 degree turn halfway up. or all reall tight in space.

I moved fully loaded amplifier racks up flights of stairs at lucas oil stadium to amp rooms and many of them weighed 700 pounds or more. We did it with manpower and a appliance dolly. It can be done. call like 2 men and a truck and ask them, you will need about 4 people and strong ones at that. Maybe higher a few local football players.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I had mine on the second floor of my house several years. I did put it in a larger piece of 3/4" plywood to distribute the weight over more floor joists. As far as moving it ip the stairs, if they are carpeted, forget the stair climber. It will not work well, and WILL tear up the carpet. When we did mine we took the door off and used 4 guys. We put it on a blue tarp, and slid it up on it's side. We used a strap and had 2 guys pull, and 2 guys push. It was actually pretty easy. I had has some experience, as the company i used to work for sold safes.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Mullins Tool Rental on East Michigan rents motorized climbing dollies.
    They can be reached at 317-632-3456.

I would be more concerned about the load on the stairs than anything.
    650 lbs of safe with 2-3 adult sized men walking it up is a huge load on stair supports.

The whole load could easily end up back downstairs
    before it ever reaches the 2nd. level.

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I had mine on the second floor of my house several years. I did put it in a larger piece of 3/4" plywood to distribute the weight over more floor joists.

That is what I'm doing, I'm going to cut the carpet pad out and replace that area under the carpet with 3/4" plywood screwing it down to the joists, that way the safe can be bolted to the floor and it doesn't sink into pad. Luckily there is a load baring wall directly under the floor.

We do have padded/carpeted stairs, so maybe the dolly isn't a good idea. Luckily there is a doorway at the top of the stairs you can walk into and then turn at the top of the stairs. The safe slides easily on the bottom (its totally smooth), I also take a couple of those furniture mover pads and toss across the front edge then I can push it on my own across carpet usually... It just wrinkles the carpet up a bit until the wiggle things around. I can move it around on an appliance dolly ok, but the stairs are just something I'm not excited to try... :n00b:
    The 250lb dresser was a huge pain, I can't even imagine what dragging the 650lb safe up would be... I'm not sure if I can take the door of mine off, I'll have to check on that.

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    What are the potential issues (if any) with having something that heavy on a second floor?

Other than its fairly small foot print I wouldn't think there would be much of an issue... people have waterbeds, fill a tub up with water, add 150lb of clothes to a 250lb dresser...
    There is a load bearing wall directly under where this would sit if it makes it upstairs...
    I just don't have a good place on the first floor for this thing :dunno:
    Fairly open floor plan and rather small closets.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Virtually all safe doors come off. You lift from the bottom while opening and closing the door. The door just sits in the hinge pins. You can put a floor jack underneath to help lift if need be. Use a 2 x 4 or something similar to keep from damaging the door. With the door off, it should be a breeze.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    JJ, I live around the McCordsville area. PM if you want some help. I've got a strong back and willing to help where help is needed. Let me know.

Top Bottom