• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Well, the one thing I like about as much as guns is techno geek stuff...

I have been looking at getting a tablet for over a year -- even before the iPad came out.

About three weeks ago I got myself a Viewsonic G Tablet and immediately "flashed" it and installed a custom ROM. I had that thing working well and quickly. But deep down inside, I knew I really wanted the new Motorola Xoom when it arrived... with the first use of Android 3.0 Honeycomb. This is the first Android operating system designed for tablets.

So, when I saw I could get my hands on a Xoom the day they came out (Thursday), I quickly sold my other tablet to a friend and picked one up.

I have not been disappointed. The Xoom runs very quickly thanks to its dual-core processor. The screen is gorgeous, and Honeycomb is a very robust operating system. The few apps that are already optimized for tablets are stunning. The Xoom handles rendering of graphics well.

One of the biggest strengths of the tablet is its ability to multitask in a robust manner. Additionally, the browser offers a tab system similar to a PC or mac, which makes for a great internet experience. And, it will be flash compatible within a couple of weeks. I was disappointed that Adobe Flash was not pre-loaded. But the fact that it will run it, gives it a huge advantage over the iPad, in my opinion.

Now, let's compare it some more to the iPad. I don't own an iPad, but twice I have spent an entire weekend with one. I also have an iPhone, a device that I've used and loved for more than a year.

First off, the Android system -- and in this case Honeycomb -- is a LOT different than the Apple OS. It is much more customizable and flexible, but is not as easy to learn as the Apple OS. Honeycomb is a beautiful OS, but Apple's still seems to be more intuitive. But the bottom line, IMHO, is that the Honeycomb OS offers so much more for the above average user, or geek.:D

I found it took me a little while to figure things out, and I still don't know exactly how I want to structure my Xoom. There are so many options... most of which are not available with the iPad. But, the cornucopia of options also makes it difficult to envision the best way to setup the Xoom. I sure do love figuring it out, though. ;)

The Xoom also has two cameras -- a front and back. It's got lots of other tech goodies as well.

I know the iPad2 is on its way soon. I expect its announcement next week show an even more refined and powerful Ipad. But I still think the basic operating system will be the same. It will likely be faster and have cameras, but I still think the feel of the OS will be the same -- which is probably a good thing for a vast majority of users.

I happen to love the power and choices offered by the Android 3.0 system. I also love the way my iPhone works, and really don't want to switch to an Android phone. But on my tablet, I like to Android's system.

Anyhow, these are just my thoughts. I love this thing!:rockwoot:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzydKdyAjps"]YouTube - Motorola Xoom Official Video[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kll_di3S_Qs"]YouTube - Official Motorola XOOM Honeycomb Tablet Video #2[/ame]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What do you pack it around in? Battery life? Have you by chance networked it via wifi from a cellular hot spot?

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    What do you pack it around in? Battery life? Have you by chance networked it via wifi from a cellular hot spot?

I have the Motorola portfolio and also a softcase. I'm not totally sold on either right now.

Battery life is spectacular. I go all day w/o needing to recharge. Probably 9+ hours of life with constant use.

I have not networked it via wifi from a cellular hot spot... yet.!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have the Motorola portfolio and also a softcase. I'm not totally sold on either right now.

Battery life is spectacular. I go all day w/o needing to recharge. Probably 9+ hours of life with constant use.

I have not networked it via wifi from a cellular hot spot... yet.!

Thanks for the update!

Early planning has me running mine WIFI only with the DroidX tethered. My next Maxpedition bag will be sized to fit the Xoom.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Thanks for the update!

Early planning has me running mine WIFI only with the DroidX tethered. My next Maxpedition bag will be sized to fit the Xoom.

You will love this thing...

It is very powerful and infinitely customizable. I like mine more each and every day.

Mine is almost always running wifi. More Honeycomb optimized apps come out daily, and they are really well done.

Top Bottom