• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Whenever I can.

When I cannot, "phone" goes into a faraday cage and I enjoy the day.
    I think people are misunderstanding my question.

Sat-Com is for trips across remote areas, it is not for texting home while riding. I ride, sometimes for multiple week trips. I virtually never ride on an interstate. If I can find 2 lanes through a forest or along a lakeshore, I will take that road instead of a state highway.

I've gone days without cell signal, camped in remote areas without access to anything. The Sat-Com is used to send a pre-programmed check in message to the family. It provides Lat/Lon coordinates and literally reads "Checking in, A-OK"

It is also there to provide Search & Rescue a beacon for an emergency extraction. Maybe I ride more remote than others? I'm not the guy who trailers his bike to the tail of the dragon, I'm the guy who rides through rural Minnesota, along the St Lawrence Seaway on gravel roads or around Lake Huron.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I had mine out. Couldn't stand it any longer and with the 70s temps it had to happen. It was great therapy.
    I could tell it was a first ride though. Familiarity fades after a few months....

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I rode to Greentown and back today. Wore only a thin jacket and got cold running 75 so I dropped down to the speed limit of 55. I knew I should've worn my KTM riding gear when I left the house. Poop! I lived but I'm gonna err on the warm side from now on.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    You know better. Always wear your costume!

View attachment 336267
    ...but, but my clown shoes flop in the wind! I guess I could've worn my old thug boots. They weren't used to curb stomp enough suspects so they are like new w/o much blood splatter. I could get away with it no problem. Now the red nose tends to fly off by 15mph. And my colorful clown suit while being stylish does scare some kids and a few adults. Maybe I should buy another suit besides my crash test dummy one? It got mooshed up in the last collision and is kinda raggedy. My wife won't let me wear it on whoopie night anymore...

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Working on bike, 20 years and 54,000 miles and I got an oil leak on the front rocker box. Not a big deal or rocket science but time consuming and you have to pull the gas tank that has a hose that goes under the frame. Probably won't finish today because the garage will be cold. Jim.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I'm thinking about taking a look at this one.

I've never seen a Sportster with an 883 cubic inch engine. I bet it's fast!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I've gone days without cell signal, camped in remote areas without access to anything. The Sat-Com is used to send a pre-programmed check in message to the family. It provides Lat/Lon coordinates and literally reads "Checking in, A-OK"
    Yeah but what about if a bear eats you and sends the pre-programed message?

Top Bottom