• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I could probably cross post this in the First World Problems thread. Right at three years ago, the wife and I decided to stop renting and buy our own place. Since I'm such a smart guy, I decided to move the motorcycle first when we moved, and boxes got kind of piled around it. Which means its been sitting in the garage buried for that long, until a couple of weeks ago.

Obviously the battery was dead, so I replaced it. Next on the list is draining the taking and putting in new gas (with Seafoam to clean the injectors. Will change the oil too. It occurred to me its had the same tires since I got it, in 2007. So those probably need to be replaced. Am I missing anything else? I think I have less than 8,000 miles on it. At the rate I'm going, I may have it running in time to store it for the winter again!

ETA: As far as mechanical acumen, I work in an office and my maintenance efforts have been limited to changing the oil and bolting on chrome bits.
    Might want to check the tank for rust and other nasty stuff and change the fuel filter. Post some pics when you get time. We like pics. :thumbsup:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I could probably cross post this in the First World Problems thread. Right at three years ago, the wife and I decided to stop renting and buy our own place. Since I'm such a smart guy, I decided to move the motorcycle first when we moved, and boxes got kind of piled around it. Which means its been sitting in the garage buried for that long, until a couple of weeks ago.

Obviously the battery was dead, so I replaced it. Next on the list is draining the taking and putting in new gas (with Seafoam to clean the injectors. Will change the oil too. It occurred to me its had the same tires since I got it, in 2007. So those probably need to be replaced. Am I missing anything else? I think I have less than 8,000 miles on it. At the rate I'm going, I may have it running in time to store it for the winter again!

ETA: As far as mechanical acumen, I work in an office and my maintenance efforts have been limited to changing the oil and bolting on chrome bits.
    I'd think about flushing brake and clutch fluids as well as they absorb moisture from humidity. Chain, belt, or shaft drive? Check chain lube or belt condition.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Might want to change the probably tires to tires before you ride it at all? Supposedly, motorcycle tires have a max life of five years. Even if they were never put on a bike.

I'd bet under perfect circumstances you could put the tire change off a year or two. Certainly not ten though.

On top of the fact that it's possible the original tires might have had some years on them, even if "new?"

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I rode on some old Dunlops for over 10 years.

Not much selection for 16 inch tires these days. I’ve got new Perelli‘s on it now, they’re just OK.

If tires are kept away from UV (sun) light and ozone (near electrical spark sources like motors) they can be good for a long time.

I’ve contemplated doing the GSXR wheel/swingarm swap modification to 17s, but would rather keep it all stock since it is.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I rode on some old Dunlops for over 10 years.

Not much selection for 16 inch tires these days. I’ve got new Perelli‘s on it now, they’re just OK.

If tires are kept away from UV (sun) light and ozone (near electrical spark sources like motors) they can be good for a long time.

I’ve contemplated doing the GSXR wheel/swingarm swap modification to 17s, but would rather keep it all stock since it is.
    A few of my old Harleys use 16" on the rear.
    I run Michelin Commander ll's

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Pics will be forthcoming, if I can figure out how to post them!

The bike is a 2007 Suzuki C50. Shaft drive so I was figuring on replacing that oil as well. In a perfect world I would trust the tires enough to ride it to a dealership and tell them to do the work. But the dealership closed, the next one is one town over and I’m not going to trust the tires that far.

The wheels are 16 inch front, 15 rear. And yeah, that rear tire has been hard to find, but the Dennis Kirk website has some Dunlops I’m going to order. I don’t have to tools to mount them, plus I need a lift to pull them off. So after the fluids are changed out I need to take the wheels and tires somewhere to have them mounted.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Did I commit a faux pas? 3 wheels in a 2 wheeled thread?
    It's fine.

I just never understood the attraction. You can't lean into curve, yet it doesn't have the safety, comfort, room of a cage.

Just seems like the worst of both worlds, but I'm still relatively young so...

I also never understood the allure of an air cooled V-twin. :dunno:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I had a bad day last week. The wind knocked my bike over. Broke off my front brake lever, tore up my bar end and other cosmetic damages. Took it for a ride tonight only to discover the rear brake lever was so badly smooshed that it no longer was accessible with my foot. Straightened it out and rode it. Now the ABS and MTC light is on and needs serviced is flashing on the screen. Fargin' hell!!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I finally gave in and bought a new KLR 650 Adventure ABS. I think I'm going to have the cost of the bike in aftermarket parts and riding gear, before I'm done, haha.

It's been a lot of fun though, and I've racked up almost 2K miles in the last couple of weeks. I find myself making up reasons and errands to run on it.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I finally gave in and bought a new KLR 650 Adventure ABS. I think I'm going to have the cost of the bike in aftermarket parts and riding gear, before I'm done, haha.

It's been a lot of fun though, and I've racked up almost 2K miles in the last couple of weeks. I find myself making up reasons and errands to run on it.
    :thumbsup:

SlipperyThoughtfulFlyingfish-size_restricted.gif

• Haha
    Reactions: KG1

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I had a bad day last week. The wind knocked my bike over. Broke off my front brake lever, tore up my bar end and other cosmetic damages. Took it for a ride tonight only to discover the rear brake lever was so badly smooshed that it no longer was accessible with my foot. Straightened it out and rode it. Now the ABS and MTC light is on and needs serviced is flashing on the screen. Fargin' hell!!
    I feel ya, man.

My wife knocked over my bike today.

Anyone have any dating advice for a man in his mid-forties?

EDIT: Just in case, I'll make that purple.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a strange phenomenon going on? My gas mileage the last couple tanks has taken a 15%-ish increase?

I didn't ride at all last year, but this year I've spun up the odometer a few hundred miles, in the last week or more.

Last checked, I was getting 44-45 mpg. This year so far, getting 50-51 mpg.

Nothing changed mechanically. Not much changed about riding habit. Maybe slightly more conservative on the throttle at times, considing time away from riding? Hard to say that would matter 10-15%?

:scratch:

Top Bottom