• ...and so much more!
  • semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    1633913450408.png
    Sure was a beautiful day for a ride today. Myself and a few friends decided to stop by Valley Racings end of season party at Sollitt tap. We parked around the corner so we wouldn't get blocked in. a lot more bikes and hotrods showed up after this pic. People were lining the road watching riders burn their tires and ride wheelies. I guess I am getting to be an old fuddy duddy, I just don't get why people think it's cool to burn their tires up and abuse very expensive machines. I looked at my friends and said I sure hope no one loses control of their bike or hot rod with all of these people along side of the road watching. Well it happened. A chopper burning some rubber lost it and went into the crowd. A couple people went limping away. We looked at each other and said lets get the F out of here and ride.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    The Pan America is actually the first HD model that has ever appealed to me. It is an amazing bike, clearly falling into the top range of the ADV/Touring category but I'd really like to see them come out with a mid-size version in the 700-800cc range. That is what many in the ADV/Touring market are screaming for.

The Pan America is the home run that HD needed but its traditional customer base doesn't understand. ADV/Touring bikes are the hottest selling bikes in the world, and have been for quite a few years. HD sells to bikers that hate to wear protective gear or even helmets and want chrome on their bikes but the Pan America is a bike for the All The Gear, All The Time bikers who favor plastic parts and don't ride poker runs, group rides or join motocycle clubs.

The Honda NC750x has been in the top 3 selling bikes worldwide for the brand for most of the past 10 years but at 750cc is considered small in the US... Triumph Tiger 800... The Kawasaki KLR650 and Versys 650... Suzuki VStrom 650... all around the world those bikes are popular and less in big numbers. The Pan America is clearly aimed at the BMW GS 1250 series bikes but larger sales numbers are in the 650 to 800cc range. Give me a lighter but still capable ADV/Touring bike that I can ride on gravel and on the highway and I might switch to HD.
    why you saying the things I'm thinking.

used never want a bike over 1000cc. Used to do nearly 15k a year for over a decade on a motorcycle. fuel economy, maintenance cost, tire life, insurance cost and physical size are better in under 1000cc bikes for daily riding. But with a 3.5 year old and a 1 year old. My time in the saddle this past year was under 1000 miles.
    After saying that, the pan america is probably my replacement bike when I can ride again.(1 year). what little time I get to ride the cost difference wont matter. the bigger bike will be better for 2 up. which I have been doing more and more now that I'm married. my wife is 5'11 and I'm 6'1. A bigger bike made for larger ppl will be better for 2 up riding. I have put some miles on Harleys crusiers and I have never really wanted more. ( 1200 mile trip and some smaller on electria glide classics). Hopefully they will release a smaller displacement version. I will buy it too. Imagine it will be a good 8 years.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Oof… prominent and wealthy man was riding a 2003 Fatboy and Harley didn’t start putting ABS on their bikes until 2008. Sad situation for everyone he left behind and for crying out loud people, please slow down when you’re on two wheels. At least when there’s cross traffic.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Oof… prominent and wealthy man was riding a 2003 Fatboy and Harley didn’t start putting ABS on their bikes until 2008. Sad situation for everyone he left behind and for crying out loud people, please slow down when you’re on two wheels. At least when there’s cross traffic.
    Yup, and from my recollections of Dave (he was an acquaintance though business, but I didn't know him well), I'd bet he didn't have a helmet or any protective gear. He was a great guy and did a lot for the community, so his loss is magnified by a lot of his good deeds.

But to repeat, a single vehicle accident where he laid his bike down. Neither he nor the bike actually crashed into anything. He impacted the roadway.
    1 - ABS brakes on bikes prevent losing control and dramatically reduce BOTH the number and the severity of accidents​
    2 - Helmets save lives.​
    3 - Protective gear saves lives.​
    He did not have to die. Literally thousands of fellow bikers each year die needlessly because they don't wear a real protective helmet or simple moto gear. Yes, the stuff can be expensive. So is a hospital stay followed by a funeral.

airhog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Lafayette
    Yup, and from my recollections of Dave (he was an acquaintance though business, but I didn't know him well), I'd bet he didn't have a helmet or any protective gear. He was a great guy and did a lot for the community, so his loss is magnified by a lot of his good deeds.

But to repeat, a single vehicle accident where he laid his bike down. Neither he nor the bike actually crashed into anything. He impacted the roadway.
    1 - ABS brakes on bikes prevent losing control and dramatically reduce BOTH the number and the severity of accidents​
    2 - Helmets save lives.​
    3 - Protective gear saves lives.​
    He did not have to die. Literally thousands of fellow bikers each year die needlessly because they don't wear a real protective helmet or simple moto gear. Yes, the stuff can be expensive. So is a hospital stay followed by a funeral.

Although I agree with all three points and always ride with helmet and protective gear, I don't agree harping it when a fellow rider passes away. It is legal for adults not to wear helmets in Indiana, and it is up to each individual to decide what is best for them. It's no one else's business.

In the neighborhood of 5000 riders die annually in motorcycle accidents in the US. Depending on what stats one looks at, fatality rate is several-fold higher than automobiles. A non-rider can easily make the argument that motorcycle riding is irresponsible given the stats, especially since most in the US ride for wind therapy, not because a motorcycle is the only or primary means of transportation. In much of the rest of the world, people ride motorcycles because they can't afford cars.

To these folks, I would say it's an individual's choice and none of your business. For some of us, what we get out of riding is worth the high risk that accompanies it. Protective equipment can reduce the risk but compared to automobiles it's still night and day. Let everyone be which is the American way. Meddling in other people's affairs is what the rest of the world is good at.

Anyhow, it sounds like a good man passed. RIP.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    How is melensdad’s reply “meddling in other people’s affairs”?

I see his reply (and my message which preceded it) as persuasive arguments for doing what we as motorcyclists can do to increase our odds of survival (or at least mitigate the risk associated with riding). In the end, we are all indeed free to make our own decisions within the laws applicable to each of us.

Having a family (including two young children) makes the “personal freedom” decision easy for me. I’m wearing what gear I have for now and upgrading when I can.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm a strong advocate of ride your own ride. Don't agree with helmet laws (or auto seatbelt laws).

But regardless of WHY people ride, the risks are very real.

Dave would very likely have walked away from that wreck if he worn full protective gear. It is just that simple.

I'm not meddling.

But I'll point out stupidity when I see it.

And I'm very sorry for his family and their loss, but he made some really dumb choices and now he is dead and his family is suffering.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you don't want wear gear, cool, it's your skin.

But, don't accuse people of meddling when they give arguably sane advice for you to follow or ignore.

The chances you'll need your handgun is very slim, but no one here gets butthurt when someone advises carrying.

airhog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Lafayette
    How is melensdad’s reply “meddling in other people’s affairs”?

I see his reply (and my message which preceded it) as persuasive arguments for doing what we as motorcyclists can do to increase our odds of survival (or at least mitigate the risk associated with riding). In the end, we are all indeed free to make our own decisions within the laws applicable to each of us.

Having a family (including two young children) makes the “personal freedom” decision easy for me. I’m wearing what gear I have for now and upgrading when I can.

Yes on gear, stay alert, and ride safe. You have all the motivation in the world to mitigate risk.

Top Bottom