• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just add a NEMO 2 chain oiler. I have them on 2 bikes. They work great. Never have to clean or oil your chain again.

There are various versions of this product. I have the GIDIBI brand. The Cobrra brand is reviewed here, costs more, is identical:

Thank you sir. I'll look into that.

Ha ha... :lmfao:

Some guy over on avrider.com has an extensive review on this item...

:yesway:

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I bought a Snapjack from Amazon a few weeks ago.

View attachment 149871

Luckily, I remembered to try it out before the return window expired. Found that it would not work for my setup anyway, sliding the bike around on the smooth garage floor.

I'm returning this and will be looking for an alternative device to simply lift the rear wheel enough to spin for chain lubing. I have stands, but would like something simpler for the garage and could be taken with on the bike. Any suggestions?
    I seem to remember Fort Nine talking about something like this.....somewhere on Youtube anyway. Maybe it was a wrench that also served as a jack. If I find it again I'll report back.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I seem to remember Fort Nine talking about something like this.....somewhere on Youtube anyway. Maybe it was a wrench that also served as a jack. If I find it again I'll report back.
    I watched a YouTube guy change a tire or something with the rear wheel pulled off, out on a trail somewhere. He used a big crescent wrench as a prop, hooked on his swing arm spool.

Although a big 'ol crecent wrench would be cool to have, I'd like some more stability than a wrench handle footprint. Also a more reliable way to lever the bike up, without taking off the side and top cases.

The snapjack worked as a good lever. I was able to easily use it with just hands. The moment the rear tire left the floor though, the kickstand slid on the concrete, dropping it back down.

There are a few other variations of the snapjack out there, (most are cheaper priced.) I'm wondering if anyone reading here might be using something like this?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Does a paddock stand not work on your bike? I have this one

Out of stock at the moment it looks like though.
    Thanks, I should have stated up front that I have these for front and back. I actually wash my bike on the stands.

I was hoping for a quick and simple method that would be less awkward than dragging the stand down and threading it under the side boxes on to the spools, while balancing the bike. Also something I could use on the road to not only chain lube, but pull the rear wheel, if needed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well, I got the Snapjack returned and have been watching some YouTube's about trail wheel removal.

For kicks I lifted the rear wheel on the Kawasaki to see if I could balance on the kickstand. What do you know, I did it with boxes loaded as normal.

An interesting discovery was that a 27mm open-ended Craftsman wrench (rear axle nut size,) is just the right size to prop the rear wheel up using swingarm spool forked in the open end. I was able to hold the rear tire in the air, so I could spin the wheel with the wrench as a prop. Still gotta find an anti-slide solution for both the wrench and kickstand on the smooth garage floor, but I'm getting places. I'm speculating that on pavement, gravel or dirt, both balance points would grab? Either alone or with an improvised foot of sorts?

A huge plus is that big ass wrench has multiple uses besides fitting the rear axle nut and even propping up the bike.

Last edited:

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Are sport tourers out of style, or just not an "Indiana" thing? Been looking for a bmw r1200rt, and there are very few for sale. Want used, 2012 or newer. Been looking on cycletrader, auto&rv, craigslist, etc. Found one at tom woods indy, but it had already been sold.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Are sport tourers out of style, or just not an "Indiana" thing? Been looking for a bmw r1200rt, and there are very few for sale. Want used, 2012 or newer. Been looking on cycletrader, auto&rv, craigslist, etc. Found one at tom woods indy, but it had already been sold.
    Not out of style, though adventure sport bikes have pulled the cool kids lol. The used market is crazy right now because of supply issues in new units from all manufacturers and skyrocketing demand nationwide. If you find one be prepared to pay premium. Other considerations would be an FJR 1300/ST1300/ZX14. Less expensive to buy/maintain, I had 2 of the 3 at one point or another. Liked the FJR the best. But if your set on the beemer go for it…just be prepared to act quickly and for the maintenance costs.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    When I landed my 2021 Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES DCT six weeks ago I could only find one locally and the next nearest was in Nashville, TN. The folks at M&E Honda in Bedford told me if I wanted it I’d better get it now because it might be six months before any more show up. Therefore, I paid list and all fees. No breaks for buyers with new bikes being so scarce.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    When I landed my 2021 Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES DCT six weeks ago I could only find one locally and the next nearest was in Nashville, TN. The folks at M&E Honda in Bedford told me if I wanted it I’d better get it now because it might be six months before any more show up. Therefore, I paid list and all fees. No breaks for buyers with new bikes being so scarce.
    I know some dealers are charging list + a shortage premium of $500 or more + normal dealer set up + plus tax and people are standing in line to pay it. There is a massive shortage of bikes, both new and used.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Not out of style, though adventure sport bikes have pulled the cool kids lol. The used market is crazy right now because of supply issues in new units from all manufacturers and skyrocketing demand nationwide. If you find one be prepared to pay premium. Other considerations would be an FJR 1300/ST1300/ZX14. Less expensive to buy/maintain, I had 2 of the 3 at one point or another. Liked the FJR the best. But if your set on the beemer go for it…just be prepared to act quickly and for the maintenance costs.
    I've ridden the beemer and the fjr. Wife says beemer was wayyyyy more comfy for her. We had a Goldwing, but that bike is just too big as I get older. For solo riding, I liked the quickness of the fjr, and the smoothness of the rt.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    When I landed my 2021 Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES DCT six weeks ago I could only find one locally and the next nearest was in Nashville, TN. The folks at M&E Honda in Bedford told me if I wanted it I’d better get it now because it might be six months before any more show up. Therefore, I paid list and all fees. No breaks for buyers with new bikes being
    I know some dealers are charging list + a shortage premium of $500 or more + normal dealer set up + plus tax and people are standing in line to pay it. There is a massive shortage of bikes, both new and used.
    I’ve heard of dealers charging 1K to $1500 OVER RETAIL plus the fees and tax. Or pulling the old bait and switch. It’s crazy. I too have dealt with the folks at M&E Honda in Bedford. They are not charging over retail. Stand up folks. Been in business 50 years I see on the website. That says something right there.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I’ve heard of dealers charging 1K to $1500 OVER RETAIL plus the fees and tax. Or pulling the old bait and switch. It’s crazy. I too have dealt with the folks at M&E Honda in Bedford. They are not charging over retail. Stand up folks. Been in business 50 years I see on the website. That says something right there.
    The reality is the supply is non-existent.

My local dealer is not up-charging. He has a board that shows INCOMING bikes and expected delivery dates. People are buying those bikes, sight unseen, and hoping they will arrive. I was in there about a month ago, there were NO street bikes on his showroom floor. There were 2 dirt bikes and 3 scooters. He can't get enough street bikes to meet demand.

His sales are also 50% below last year because shipments are simply not arriving. So while he is selling all his inventory and he is selling at list price, his profits on sales are WELL BELOW last year because he has no bikes to sell. He also has so side-by-sides or 4 wheelers either.

I honestly feel sorry of dealers, they are struggling to stay in business and if they don't have a solid repair business with repeat customers they will go out of business. They still have to pay mortages/rent, utilities, employee, and other overhead costs, but since they are not selling new bikes they are having a hard time paying bills.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I had an St1300 and with the exception of the stock seat I loved it. Added a Russell Day Long Saddle over the winter and it made a world of difference.

Before buying the DCT Goldwing I have now, an St1300 was still on the short list of models I was looking at after selling my dresser and my BMW GSA.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    The reality is the supply is non-existent.

My local dealer is not up-charging. He has a board that shows INCOMING bikes and expected delivery dates. People are buying those bikes, sight unseen, and hoping they will arrive. I was in there about a month ago, there were NO street bikes on his showroom floor. There were 2 dirt bikes and 3 scooters. He can't get enough street bikes to meet demand.

His sales are also 50% below last year because shipments are simply not arriving. So while he is selling all his inventory and he is selling at list price, his profits on sales are WELL BELOW last year because he has no bikes to sell. He also has so side-by-sides or 4 wheelers either.

I honestly feel sorry of dealers, they are struggling to stay in business and if they don't have a solid repair business with repeat customers they will go out of business. They still have to pay mortages/rent, utilities, employee, and other overhead costs, but since they are not selling new bikes they are having a hard time paying bills.
    Interesting. My local folks have told me a slightly different story. I’ve been told that they are getting 98-100% of units they get every year, but demand has skyrocketed since Rona and is far outpacing the supply. I know they are taking deposits on things that won’t be arriving for months. But they have a list of what they are getting and when, approximately, and are selling from it. I’m on it now :). The bikes or Atvs or SxS arrives they prep it and the new owner comes and picks it up, it never hits the showroom. Maybe they get more because they are a High volume, long time Honda exclusive dealer?? (supposedly they are one of the top Honda dealers in Indiana every year) I also looked at their Facebook page and it does appear they have had a crap ton of units going out the door…to all over the place.

I did go into the Yamaha shop in Bloomington a few weeks ago. And crickets. No bikes, no list and no idea when they might get anything. I did feel bad for them. They have been there forever too.

Anyway you slice it. It’s not good for the manufacturers ( who can’t keep up with demand), the dealers ( who either can’t get units/enough units or what they do get are sold before they arrive, making the showroom look like a ghost town, even if sales are good) and the consumer( who is going to pay retail plus fees and tax, at a minimum, until things get back to normal, might as well leave your negotiating hat at home folks, it doesn’t exist right now!)

thanks for listening :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom