• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • utl73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Indiana
    I hung up my helmet about 8 years ago and man do I miss it. Lots has changed in the last 8 years since I rode, with cell phones and distracted driving. Unfortunately I don’t think I will ever be brave enough to ride again. But boy was it fun.
    Traction control, ABS and tire technology has changed dramatically in the last 10 years. We are now buying bikes off the show room floor with 185hp at the wheel.

utl73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Indiana
    M

My busa was 185 hp, and 400ish pounds.
    Looks like in 1999 they were claiming 174 at the crank and 470lbs. Ducati claims my 1299 has 205. After a full exhaust and tune its at 193 at the wheel 6 weeks ago. Its around 420 Wet. two totally different bikes though and purpose.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    If you only plan on small scale riding i would go for a dyna of some sort. Lighter than the softtails and tourings but the same powerplant so better acceleration and maneuverability. With a Mustang seat and some forward controls it should be plenty comfortable. Also dynas are typically cheaper than the larger models so you could potentially find one newer with lower miles in your budget. As far as mileage and what not goes, just use your brain. Harleys are solid machines so if it appears to be clean and kept up with then chances are it will serve you well. Best of luck!

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I love Dyna's. I have owned 4 so far. Latest is the Fat Bob w/ bags / small fairing. Wish it had true cruise control.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a 2017 Low Rider S. Biggest motor they threw in from the factory stock. I paid 17k for it in 2018. You can find lots of used dynas these days on FB market and craiglist.

I'm in the process of swapping the bars. Problem is the ABS brake line in front, or I would do it myself. Places want 1500 bucks to do it, I will probably swap everything but the brake and clutch lines and roll it in somewhere and let them do it for me. Otherwise it's a couple bolts and fishing lines through the bars...hardly $1500 worth IMO.

If I had to do it over, I would go for a Street Bob.

I'd offer them 5k cash depending on miles.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    For as much as you plan on riding the 80" Evos are running pretty cheap nowadays. The early twin cams are a heck of a buy also. Wideglides came with the taller bars, might be what you're looking for

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I also have a buddy that put a legit 60k on an early Victory 92 before trading it in on a new Victory bagger. He does take care of his stuff and does good maintenance

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    If I was going to get back into bikes and wanted American I'd look at the new HD Pan American.

I would not be interested in running up and down the interstates but would search for the road less traveled.
    A DirtGlide.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I've been looking at Sportsters lately. My friend has 3 from different decades. He has 110,000 miles on one of them. He rode 48 states on it. It will take up little space in the garage. I think Dynas are pretty. Riding a Buell myself.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have had Sportsters but there is no way I'd do serious miles on one anymore. That is for a younger-than-me person. I like GeezerGlides but can't afford one. If you want a decent deal on a Harley, go see my bud at Burke's Repo Outlet. I have no affiliation with that shop but my next purchase is going to be there. burkesrepooutlet.com if you want to read the spiel. He has the largest non-H-D dealership and mechanic group in the U.S. for Harley Davidson.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Burkes is a sweet place and it is ALWAYS jam packed full of bikes. Id definitely buy another one from them.

I've been looking at Sportsters lately. My friend has 3 from different decades. He has 110,000 miles on one of them. He rode 48 states on it. It will take up little space in the garage. I think Dynas are pretty. Riding a Buell myself.
    If your serious about picking one up pm me, Ive got one for your consideration.

Top Bottom