• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iMac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    I started with a Honda Rebel 250. Payed 1400 bucks for it, rode the damn tires off the thing then sold it for 1400. It was $40 a year to insure and got 80mpg. Hands down has to be the best learning bike out there, light, easy to control and still can get up to highway speeds no problem. They are also easy to work on, which will give you a nice start to learning some basic motorcycle maintenence.

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    Dont skimp on the helmet....At LEAST DOT approved, preferably SNELL approved. ATGATT +1.....Plenty of decent starter bikes out there, depends on what kind of person you are meaning just because it can go fast, are you gonna go fast, oh and watch out for mini vans, apparently have HUGE blind spots been cut off by those more than anything else, distracted drivers kill motorcyclists. JMHO>2 cents , FWIW etc...

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    First: BIG +1 to the abate course.
    Second: buy the bike you want, and learn how to ride that bike. I cannot stress enough to ignore everyone saying start on a scooter and then trade up. Because once you trade up, you have to relearn to ride the newer bigger bike all over. Yea the fundamentals are the same the every bike handles differently.

Remember the "POWER CONTROLL" starts in your brain, and goes to your throttle hand. If your the type to ride full throttle everywhere, then a scooter is no more safe then a 150 hp sport bike.

For those who want to ride a sport bike, but are scared to start on one, buy a used supermoto bike ( higher power street version of a dirt bike). You can find them for good prices and most likely you will keep it and still ride it long after you have started riding your big cc sport bike. They are an absolute blast to ride and look cool at the same time.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    This summer I plan to get my motorcycle permit then endorsement. I also need a bike that I could ride too. Since it will be my first, I was thinking something like a 2008+ Kawasaki Ninja 250R. I started to think that maybe I would learn too quick so maybe someething like a GSXR600. The truth is, it scares the s**t out of me, but it sounds too thrilling to say no. I'm not much of a "chopper" or Harley fan. Maybe someone with more experience could weigh in on this. Or maybe when I get back to the states they would only SHOW me the basic run around on one.

I just bought a 2009 ninja 250r and it is an absolute blast to ride. This is my first bike. It has plenty of power for a beginner like me and is a lot easier to ride because of its weight and it being lower to the ground. I'm 5'5 and have no problem reaching the ground with both feet. When I left with the bike, a technician in the back that was helping me load it up said I couldn't have picked a better starter bike.

I have learned very quickly, but I think it's because of the bike I chose, if I had went the 600 route, I would still be uneasy on it and would have a much greater chance of dropping it while learning because they are taller, heavier, and more top heavy. In a few years the 250 will become my wife's,(she has learned to ride it well also) and I may upgrade to a 600. But for now the 250 is perfect for us

BTW insurance is cheaper with a 250. My wife and I are insured (age 24,25) with no training and pay $19 a month(then got a $30 discount for paying all year up front.). Also check out progressive, they were 1/4 of the price than anyone else we looked at getting insurance through.

Last edited:

DaveyCrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Bluffton, Indiana
    To all helmet reccomendations, thank you. I do plan though, to always sport a helmet and a jacket. Due to growing up with only one parent, I would say I have always been the "defensive driver". I've never been much of a speeder either except for the "five your fine, ten your mine" supposed cop saying. Once seeing my car I often get asked how fast I have gone and the usual answer is "well I've gone 85 on 469 before".

I will definitely look into this ABATE course.

Thank you and safe riding to all.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    If you know your limits and don't push it, I don't think a 600 cc sportbike is a terrible choice. However, people tend to forget that modern 600 cc sportbikes are 10 second bikes with good riders. That's quicker than ANY production car you can buy, so I definately wouldn't think "ahh its just a 600." Then again you could just say screw it and get a Busa.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Yet another +1 on the ABATE course. I took it twice, even though I didn't have to. The first year I passed with flying colors (there were 3 other women in my class and all of us passed!) I then went out and bought a Honda Shadow with a 600CC engine. Rode around the school parking lot, dropped it once. Never took it to the streets. Traded that for a 250CC Rebel and off I went.
    The second year the instructors were baffled as to why I was back. I just wanted a refresher course on everything they teach. I'm itching to get back on the streets this year, just waiting for it to warm up a bit.
    Enjoy the ride!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Rode religiously from 9 years old (Harley topper, Harley sprints as I grew) until 4 years ago. Last bikes were a Springer soft tail Harley and the wife had a Dyna Wide Glide. It was her first bike. I put her in the Abate program and she flourished. She did drop the Dyna a few times until she realized it was top heavy but after a few parts here and there she rode it like a champ. We found that riding in and around the city was no longer fun. To many fools, idiots and just stupid mean people. At 62 yrs. I no longer want to bounce off the pavement to miss someone not paying attention. Remember, the next text is more important than your life to these folks.
    Start with something that does not have an afterburner. 600 cc sport bikes are a lot faster than they appear to be. Take your time and surround yourself with level headed people that ride with some sense. There is a time and place to twist up the throttle but take your time getting there.

Be safe.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Rode religiously from 9 years old (Harley topper, Harley sprints as I grew) until 4 years ago. Last bikes were a Springer soft tail Harley and the wife had a Dyna Wide Glide. It was her first bike. I put her in the Abate program and she flourished. She did drop the Dyna a few times until she realized it was top heavy but after a few parts here and there she rode it like a champ. We found that riding in and around the city was no longer fun. To many fools, idiots and just stupid mean people. At 62 yrs. I no longer want to bounce off the pavement to miss someone not paying attention. Remember, the next text is more important than your life to these folks.
    Start with something that does not have an afterburner. 600 cc sport bikes are a lot faster than they appear to be. Take your time and surround yourself with level headed people that ride with some sense. There is a time and place to twist up the throttle but take your time getting there.

Be safe.

It's amazing how that works. Anybody that doubts this should go to ORP on street legal night, and see those "little" 600s trap north of 120 mph with even mediocre riders, then compare that to the Vettes, Mustangs, Camaros that are running.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    I also recommend ABATE, there is also Rookie Riders. My wife took that class. She learned on a Rebel 250 then quickly moved to a Buell XB12r. Buell have pretty much the lowest center of gravity of any sport bike. The seat is low, giving you plenty of feet of the ground when you come to a stop, which is important if your shorter.

They are lightweight, quick and easy to work on. The Harley education course has used the Buell Blast for year as their bike.

ATGATT. All the gear all the time. I see people hear mention helmets and pants. I didn't see one mention gloves. You should be dressed for the season, FALL.

Someone mentioned the throttle...it can get you out of a bad situation as often as the brake can.

I'm writing this from New York. I left Indy on Wednesday and doive 650 miles straight on my Buell. I head back home Monday.

On a side note, the Motion X gps app on iPhone is a great turn by turn gps and was only .99.

Get your endorsement, a bike, be safe and have fun.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I think it has all been stated ... ABATE. If you are real new, at some time you will have that urge to open the throttle and open it up. Fight it, remember you are probably riding on two pieces of rubber the size of half dollars. I have really enjoyed my bike and will continue to do so. I've been hit twice and bot times my helmet saved me.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Motorcycles are my bread and butter. Ive seen new riders jump on somting they think they can handle and loose it right away. Somtimes it scares them so bad that they never ride a bike again, somtimes somthing much much worse happens. Go with your instinct and get the Ninja 250. Ive personally sold and taught new riders on these bikes and they are by far the best beginner bike on the market. Also it get 70 MILES A GALLON did you see that 70 MPG!!! no kidding. So even after you learn its still a great commuter bike.

ABATE is expensive but its worth it! Ive both taken and been involed directly in the training they do and no doubt it will do you good.

If your home town is anywhere near Martinsville, hit me up when you get back and Ill be more than happy to ride with you.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    +1 on the ABATE course. I have been riding off and on for 43 years (yeah I know I'm old)
    and just took the course last year. It was well worth taking.

Good for you! There were several old timers in my class. Most of them learned a lot. There was this one guy that couldn't do a u-turn. I'm not sure if he failed the course or not.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Take the Abate course and if you pass, and you should, you don't need to take the riding test at the BMV. The course is great too.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Do you wear eye and ear protection when shooting? If the answer is yes then WEAR A HELMET and heavy jacket when riding! When I see people riding in shorts and flip flops and no helmet I want to scream! I have destroyed a full face helmet chin guard while sliding along the pavement. That could have been my face.

If I can find pictures of the bike I'll post one.

I'm pretty sure most of the flip-flops are armorized.

You at the charts - you see most head injuries are too the chin. Sucking all your food through a straw while you jaw is wired shut isn't fun. A FF helmet is best, at least go with a modular.

For me, the risk is too great to NOT wear all the proper gear. For others, I guess they're OK with risking serious injury to not wear a good jacket or helmet. Personally, I've skidded down enough pavement (once is enough!) to not be without my jacket. And I seen enough MC fatalities to not be without my FF helmet.

Actually, I have riden without my gear - and it feels uncomfortable once you get used to it's no fun being without it. I don't even like riding without my earplugs under my helmet.

For reviews of gear check out Web Bike World.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What you get as a first motorcycle depends on YOU.
    All motorcycles have a throttle and all riders are equipped with a brain.

DEFINITELY take the ABATE course.
    DEFINITELY wear protective gear.

My first motorcycle was a used 1984 Honda V65 Magna I bought in 1990.
    (1100cc DOHC, 116hp, water cooled, shaft drive)
    A very fast motorcycle for it's time, and not a great handling one.
    Up to then, I'd only ridden a 125cc a few times, and a Honda 350 once many years before.

I just made sure to NEVER lose respect for the Magna's power, and NEVER forget I was NOT an experienced rider and NOT to try anything stupid.

The only incident i ever had with it was doing a slow U-Turn on a narrow country road where I tipped it over.

I now ride a 2008 Yamaha FJR1300, which is a great handling, fast, performance touring bike.

The KEY is, whatever you ride is to take it SLOW and NEVER stop learning how to improve your riding ability.
    Never let yourself get too cocky and think you're a better rider than you actually are.

I'm still not a great rider and still learning.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Never let yourself get too cocky and think you're a better rider than you actually are.

In Proficient Motorcycling (an excellent book) you'll notice that riders with 2-3(4?) years of experience are the most likely group to have collisions*. This is because riders in that group start feeling over-confident and riding too aggressively and riding beyond their means of control.

* accidents are rare despite our overuse of this term, someone was at fault or exceeding safety boundaries, therefore it's a collision (you learn this stuff in ABATE). It's the same as ND v. AD for firearms.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ATGATT. All the gear all the time. I see people hear mention helmets and pants. I didn't see one mention gloves. You should be dressed for the season, FALL.
    :): I always said "I rather sweat than bleed."

Sorry, gloves are very important too. Road debris, bugs, falling off, all reasons to get good gloves. Plus the gel makes for less "hand numbing".

Someone mentioned the throttle...it can get you out of a bad situation as often as the brake can.

This is a departure from how cagers drive. My wife always brakes while turning corners :xmad:. Training and practice will teach you how to you the throttle and acceleration to control bike geometry for your benefit.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edporch

In Proficient Motorcycling (an excellent book) you'll notice that riders with 2-3(4?) years of experience are the most likely group to have collisions*. This is because riders in that group start feeling over-confident and riding too aggressively and riding beyond their means of control.

* accidents are rare despite our overuse of this term, someone was at fault or exceeding safety boundaries, therefore it's a collision (you learn this stuff in ABATE). It's the same as ND v. AD for firearms.

I don't doubt this, though I never have read this book.
    It's easy to become overconfident after you've ridden awhile and improved.

I took the ABATE course back in 1990.
    The one thing I remember most was to "ride as if you're invisible".

The instructors were very good experienced riders, and they told of friends they knew who were very good riders that were DEAD, simply because somebody claimed not to see them and ran over them.

In addition to not becoming overconfident, wear PROTECTIVE gear, because no matter how conscientious you are as a rider, there's too many things out on the road you have no control over.
    And motorcycling is dangerous enough as it is, EVEN when you have full protective gear on.

I always get a kick out of my fellow motorcyclists who are always telling people to "watch out for motorcyclists", yet they don't even look after THEMSELVES by wearing protective gear. :laugh:

Top Bottom