• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I have been watching the threads on Mosin Nagants and now I want to ask some questions about a gun that I have that looks just like one.

First mine has a date stamped on it that says 1953, is this still a Mosin Nagant?

How do I know where it was made?

I paid 25.00 for it 10 years ago but I was always afraid to shoot it after I looked at the 100 rounds of ammo that came with it..... I thought that I would hang it on the wall some day but now if it's safe I would like to join the "club of the fire ball"

Is the old ammo safe to use? Will it shoot the 7.62x39 ammo I have for my AK?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yes, it's still a Mosin Nagant.

You can find out where it was made by checking out 7.62x54r.net

25 bucks is awesome! If the receiver and barrel look sound and the headspace is good, go ahead and shoot it.

You can shoot old ammo, provided the ammo is in good condition. Check it for corrosion and cracked cases. The usual.

7.62x39 does not run in MN's. It is chambered for 7.62x54r.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Thanks, I wondered if it was 7.62x54.

It's not rusty and the barrel and bolt seem like they are in good shape.

Now I'm excited for the next get together!!!!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I am happy to drive traffic to their site. They've done such a great job putting together Mosin info.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If they look as good as the ones in the picture, I'd say yes. I assume they won't have matching numbers and I'm willing to bet they're beat to hell, though. I certainly haven't seen any that cheap in that good of condition in awhile.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Pay the extra $10 for handpick. I can't speak for AIM but the 91/30 I got handpicked had matching numbers except the bayonet, no re-stamped numbers, and no counter bore. You can pick them up around Indy, like the ones at Bradis for something like $99 but the ones I found there were rougher. You will pay $69 + $10 (handpick) + shipping + transfer = up around the $99+, or same as the prices around here. I think AAC has some. The M44's I saw up at Gander Mountain on the north side were nicer examples of Mosins than the other places. My opinion only.

Top Bottom