• ...and so much more!
  • Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Mushroom hunting???

Right now I'm researching indoor and outdoor cultivation. Outdoor seems to be simple. Indoor - very difficult. Would be nice to have year round for fun and profit.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    2011 was my personal best year ever in Indiana. 2012 was slim pickens. I'm guessing the mild winter had something to do with it. This spring should be better. Keeping my fingers crossed.

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Anyone ever look in cedars? Last couple years i have found some big yellows,under cedars. Found around 7 lbs in 5 minutes. Cant wait to see whats there this year. Most woods have been logged around me and they just dont grow there any more.

Two years ago my dad and I found a new patch of big yellows under a cedar tree on one of our fencelines. We also have a big cedar tree in my front yard that we cut the limbs off up to about head high. Three years ago we started finding these gray morels there, they have a tighter honeycomb look, but still tasty.:rockwoot:

I am the cheese

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    I love the darn things. Two years ago I broke down and ordered some dried from a place. They were a xmas gift for my folks. Best dman gift ever to two fungus cravers!

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    how do you know when to start looking? where should you look (general location of course.. unless you really want to share your prized hide).

Greenedog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    Greene County
    What's a morel? :D
    Last year was one of our worst years ever. 2013 Is already looking better with all the moisture we're getting. :yesway:
    Here's a patch we stumbled upon in 2011 while turkey hunting....
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NPK9e1zyEo[/ame]

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    how do you know when to start looking? where should you look (general location of course.. unless you really want to share your prized hide).

Generally, in Central Indiana they begin around April 1st, usually peaking around April 23rd, then continuing into early May.

It is a bit earlier in Southern Indiana, and later in the north.

A good rule of thumb is to look in hardwood forests, populated with ash, poplar and elm. Towards the end of the season, look for big yellows on creek banks under sycamores. Some people say old orchards are great, but for me, its harder to find old orchards than it is to find morel mushrooms.

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Can't wait!

aa0a0703.jpg

50076d5c.jpg

DMBFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Boonville,IN
    I've got 70 acres of private land that is a honey hole for them. Every year we come out with bags and bags. Mhmmm. Makes my mouth water just thinking about them.

jburris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    henry county
    last year wasnt that great of a year for my hunting. the year before last. that is a different story. Found 16 as big as a 160z beer can in my back yard. will see if I can find the pics.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    does anyone on here ever freeze them, and use them for the throught the year?
    We did this in 2011 when we had a bunch of them and didn't want to give them away, or let them spoil. I was shocked as they kept their flavor and everything.
    we battered them first and then froze them

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    does anyone on here ever freeze them, and use them for the throught the year?
    We did this in 2011 when we had a bunch of them and didn't want to give them away, or let them spoil. I was shocked as they kept their flavor and everything.
    we battered them first and then froze them

I typically dehydrate them (many methods: on a sceen, with a food dehydrator, on a thread like popcorn, or in the oven on warm) and use them in sauces all year long. I know some folks batter them and cook them halfway and then freeze and fully cook later.

Top Bottom