• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Maybe it's somewhat commendable to try for some innovation in the gun industry, but only if it's well thought out and executed, something along the lines of high quality investment casting (Ruger) or rugged polymers (Glock).
    Still trying to figure out exactly what the purpose is for the Judge, popular as it may be.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Obviously, they thought at least one of those ideas would fly.

:shady:

As to those "innovations", hmmmm..... I'm not sure how I feel about them. The curve isn't new, and the theory is sound on it. I'd have to handle one to make a decision.

I'd be wondering how long before the hammer spur falls off under your thumb when trying to cock it into single action. My first thought was one more part that didn't need to be made to move.

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    Taurus is one of the few brands of guns that I have never owned, just never appealed to me. I can see the wings being useful for women or older people with limited hand strength. It actually would really be helpful when I am trying to lock back the slide on my Desert Eagle, it all I can do to rack the slide and push up the locking lever at the same time. Ha, guess I must be getting old :):.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The problem I have with the 'wings' is how they are marketed. It is marketed for people without the grip strength to rack the slide and finding a solution to something like that in a semi-auto is a worthy endeavor but I think there could have been several ways to achieve that without the 'wings'. The issue with the wings is they have to be deployed in order to work so what happens if you need the wings in a life or death situation and you have to stop to deploy them? A wider slide with an area to press the muzzle against a fixed object to rack the slide would have been better...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The problem I have with the 'wings' is how they are marketed. It is marketed for people without the grip strength to rack the slide and finding a solution to something like that in a semi-auto is a worthy endeavor but I think there could have been several ways to achieve that without the 'wings'. The issue with the wings is they have to be deployed in order to work so what happens if you need the wings in a life or death situation and you have to stop to deploy them? A wider slide with an area to press the muzzle against a fixed object to rack the slide would have been better...

Yes, there's many ways to do this. When my dad's hands got to bad to rack his .380 I showed him how to hook the rear slide on the kitchen table and push it down. I wonder what the market truly is for people who don't have the hand strength to correctly rack but have the strength to do it with "wings". This is just another way to promote lazy habits, instead of learning to do it the right way you futz around with this nonsense. Same with the removeable hammer. Play at the range in single action, if you ever need to shoot it you'll be in double action. Curve? What if you need to shoot it with your off hand?

Taurus's innovations seem to appeal to the low information shooter, IMO. Of course, the Judge was a huge success and primarily marketed as an antidote to the carjacking scare of the era, so there's apparently market success to be had there.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I wouldn't buy any of these...
    BUT I like new ideas and the creative juices are at least moving.

On the other hand, Glock, until the last few years, has not done much in product improvement - and now they find themselves in a field of very valid competitors that chip away at their business. Even the innovations from the last fie yrs (gen4, G41 & G42, M.O.S., etc) are WEAK and are just trying to keep up with the market. And I love Glocks.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have to wonder about the robustness of the mechanism that locks the 'wings' when not deployed. Wouldn't want them to flop open and closed while firing.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I have three Taurus products. I have a Rossi 22lr revolver, a Pt 22 and a Pt 738. I have roughly 3900 rounds through the Rossi,
    250 rounds through the Pt22 and at least 450 rounds through the Pt 738. I have never had one issue with any of them, except two definitely
    ammo related issues in the Rossi. Having said that, I know the difference between a BMW and a Kia.
    I read last week, where the biggest increase of gun sales, is with women. If that is the case, someone at Taurus was using their heads with the
    wing idea.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Actually, I kinda like both of the ideas. I think the wings may work for folks lacking in hand strength. The removable hammer spur may help those who want the option of easy single action for practicing both single/double action but wouldn't want the spur for deep conceal carry.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I don't know what's up with the bashing... at least they are trying something new and not just cutting a RDS slot in their slide and calling it an innovation. *cough* Glock *cough*

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I know folks who use the protrusions of the older Ruger P series slide-mounted safety/decockers (ambidextrous - on both sides) in a similar manner to these wings, in essence, using them like these wings.

So, yeah, I think the "wings" idea is one that might fly, although I don't think they have to be as large as the example in the video to serve their purpose; a finger-width would suffice.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I don't know what's up with the bashing... at least they are trying something new and not just cutting a RDS slot in their slide and calling it an innovation. *cough* Glock *cough*

I don't think Gl*ck is safe either...most everything they call an innovation was copied from someone else...

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Not going into a Taurus thing - but the therapy has been helpful. So, reinvented the curb feelers; omg did I just date myself? Got the new light behind the dial on the radio. Not to mention new handlebars. Obviously used the entire QC budget!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I like the wings idea. It'd be nice to see a semi that people with low grip strength could use. And it's on one of their more popular models. The removable hammer...well, like the others said, I'd probably lose the damned thing first time out. Someone might see a need for it, though. Hope it works out for them.

Agreed. I think it's a great idea. The removable hammer is also a good idea for some people, although not really for me since I rarely/never shoot single action.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Taurus CS was getting better when Mark Tresser? was there. I'm not sure now that he's gone now which direction they're headed. They sure can't afford to take a tumble. Having said that, I have been 4 for 4 with my Taurus products but have traded 2 off...only own the PT1911 and the PT111 G2 and LOVE them both. They eat everything and are more accurate than I am. I like that they try new things whether I think they're for me or not.

Top Bottom