• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    OK, So I'm searching for a Holster for my RIA 1911, I think I'm going to go with the OC, now I need some input about Thumb Break Holsters.

I think I read somewhere that a Thumb Break Holster for the 1911 is a Bad Idea. I can not remember why, but there was something in the article about the snap and how it can jam, heck I don't remember.

Anyway, I have searched the posts here, but I can not find any "reviews" about this type of Holster.

So, as Before...Bacon for answers, and extra Bacon for "IDIOT PROOF" answers.

Doug

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i have a kirkpatrick leather OWB 1911 holster with a thumb break. works for me. most people will tell you you dont need one- it's an unnecessary step that costs precious time when drawing. but i would feel really nervous OCing without any type of retention. but i'm not an expert or a LEO, so ymmv

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think a thumb break is a decent idea for open carry. I don't know of any issues with a thumb break and the 1911 so I say go for it.

Galco, Safariland, Mernickle, Ted Blocker, Mitch Rosen, Kirkpatrick all make good holsters.

Siderite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    The one thing to watch for is that some companies make holsters for 1911s that only work for hammer-down on an empty chamber, not cocked and locked carry.

For instance, Desantis makes a speed scabbard with thumb break (hammer down):
    Commerce Storefront B2C

but the one for cocked and locked carry is a separate item:
    Commerce Storefront B2C

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    Cocked and Locked

The one thing to watch for is that some companies make holsters for 1911s that only work for hammer-down on an empty chamber, not cocked and locked carry.

For instance, Desantis makes a speed scabbard with thumb break (hammer down):
    Commerce Storefront B2C

but the one for cocked and locked carry is a separate item:
    Commerce Storefront B2C

Thanks, I hadn't even considered that during my search.

That's what I'm talking about people...this guy gets Bacon :D

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Personally I dislike thumbbreaks on any type of defensive holster. A proper quality holster will hold your gun securely.

My persoanl favorite carry rig is a Lou Alessi CQC/S but, alas these are no longer made due to Lou's death last year. Mitch Rosen makes a comparable holster, I have a couple of these as well.

Mitch Rosen Premire

Cdp2.jpg

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I believe thumb breaks were originally thought to be a bad idea because the strap between the back of the slide and the hammer was supposed to keep the hammer from hitting the firing pin if the hammer dropped while the gun was in the holster. It is not good to count on a leather strap to perform this function.
    Apparently, some people got the idea that with the strap in there they didn't have to put the safety on. This could save them .00315 seconds on the draw. Obviously, this time savings is NOT a good reason to leave the safety off.

Doug

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    K.L. Null does not believe in straps.

I have his Super Speed Scabbard (SSS) and am very happy.

Josh

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    OWB AND OPEN CARRY: Maybe a good idea, at least in our new, less gentle society.

Personally, spring for a good IWB holster for the 1911. I hear of folks that complain that they hate carrying a 1911 IWB because it is "uncomfortable". I want to reply "Lose some weight then" but that is rude :D I use a Kholster, not too bad, I want to get a High Noon soon, they look great.

Top Bottom