• ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Full disclosure: I have eclectic (Read: weird) taste in guns

So, I kind of want an A100 in 38 Super (I don't want the euro-style mag release, so I don't think I can get an A80). Anybody have experience to share on an A100 compact? Are there any glaring quality or mechanical issues with this firearm? Just want for collection/range toy not a carry piece

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Only familiar with the 900 series, 38 super is an excellent choice of cartridge though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Full disclosure: I have eclectic (Read: weird) taste in guns

So, I kind of want an A100 in 38 Super (I don't want the euro-style mag release, so I don't think I can get an A80). Anybody have experience to share on an A100 compact? Are there any glaring quality or mechanical issues with this firearm? Just want for collection/range toy not a carry piece
    I have owned 2 of these in 45ACP.
    Not the worst but not the best either.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I had one in 38 Super many moons ago. Nothing stands out about it in particular. Kinda chunky, heavy and a long trigger pull is all I recall. Sorta Sig like. Decent guns for their time.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have owned 2 of these in 45ACP.
    Not the worst but not the best either.
    Any idea if there are improvements available on the after market, CM? I don't think they are a Sig full clone but my understanding is they are substantially similar. Could you also reveal what you didn't like about them, if you recall

I really like the round, but other than something from pricey 1911 land or a race gun (not what you think, Kut), what little variety is available is hit and miss (I have both a steel witness and a PT38SS) and not much in compact. I've seen actual Sigs chambered for it, but they are usually full size, German made, have the euro mag release and are pricey due to rarity (I guess)

I reload 38SA to its historic specs (130 gr @ 1300 fps) so a metallurgically sound well designed gun would be desired

Edit: Was it acceptably accurate to shoot?

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I had one in 38 Super many moons ago. Nothing stands out about it in particular. Kinda chunky, heavy and a long trigger pull is all I recall. Sorta Sig like. Decent guns for their time.
    Thank you for the reply. Do you remember if it was Sig-like only in appearances or were some of the underlying systems a close copy/knockoff?

Edit: Did it shoot accurately?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Mooning means something different than it did "back in the day". That is all.
    I try to tell people, so does 'jeeping', but we stick to the meanings the words had when we first started using them. Its a comfort thing, I believe

Based on his avatar, it is possible Printcraft's guns share the same definition as you :)

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Thank you for the reply. Do you remember if it was Sig-like only in appearances or were some of the underlying systems a close copy/knockoff?

Edit: Did it shoot accurately?
    It’s a pretty close copy, like many of the Spanish and Italian made guns. I don’t know if the parts are interchangeable because I never got that into it but I do know the Sig magazines I had would not work in the Astra. As far as I remember it was fairly accurate but back then I was more concerned with just blasting away than true accuracy. I’ve seen them at gun shows and occasionally in a shop and have thought about getting another one but have never gone through with it. The 9mm and 45s are more common but if I ran across a deal on a Super I might have to pick it up.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    As another possibility, an older EAA witness steel, full size in 38SA, is also a very nice and accurate gun to shoot. Actually a Tanfoglio. CZ near clone

I like the darker steel finish compared to the shiny 'wonder' finish. 17+1 in 38SA

Edit: Before times got stupid you could pick up nice ones for the low $400s. Haven't seen one go for less than $650 on WalletBreaker lately

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Any idea if there are improvements available on the after market, CM? I don't think they are a Sig full clone but my understanding is they are substantially similar. Could you also reveal what you didn't like about them, if you recall

I really like the round, but other than something from pricey 1911 land or a race gun (not what you think, Kut), what little variety is available is hit and miss (I have both a steel witness and a PT38SS) and not much in compact. I've seen actual Sigs chambered for it, but they are usually full size, German made, have the euro mag release and are pricey due to rarity (I guess)

I reload 38SA to its historic specs (130 gr @ 1300 fps) so a metallurgically sound well designed gun would be desired

Edit: Was it acceptably accurate to shoot?
    I seriously doubt these are supported buy the aftermarket. They are not that popular and nothing special about them.

Top Bottom