• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Our school addressed the problem, they don't do lunch. It's bring your own for everyone. Daughter is always happy with her lunch, she packs it herself. Elegant solution, eh?

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Clingers

Some of us antiquated "clingers" just don't like to be told how or what to eat or feed our children. Not even from her highness.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Young children will go hungry before they eat something they don't like the taste or texture of...that is a fact...add in that most of the kids who eat lunches at school are on free or reduced lunches. If peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were not so racist they should serve them with a bowl of soup, a piece of fruit and a 8 ounce carton of milk not the little 4 ounces. All 4 food groups are covered...most kids will eat that and they would not be hungry...but instead they give them hummus and black beans and let them go hungry.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Lots of words, no substance. No one seems to offer anything in this thread other than Obama outrage. I never thought conservatives would be pushing back against eating healthy. Oh, and schools can decide what gets served in the food court. You don't have to serve fries and chocolate milk.

Are you against an initiative to make school lunches healthier? Any age, you pick. Should schools switch back to less healthy menus to appease students' need for junk food, as the article states they regularly eat.

I think the operative phrase in your post is: "I never thought . . ."; your post reads like "Are you still beating your wife?"

In the first place, schools may have an interest in teaching their students to eat healthy foods, but they have no mandate from the students' parents to force-feed them, and they have no inherent right to dictate what the students will eat.

Government has no right to dictate what any of us eats under any guise whatsoever; it's not one of their jobs and it's none of their business.

And, as LexConcord said upthread, this whole issue is more about control than it is about dietary health of our kids.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I think the operative phrase in your post is: "I never thought . . ."; your post reads like "Are you still beating your wife?"

In the first place, schools may have an interest in teaching their students to eat healthy foods, but they have no mandate from the students' parents to force-feed them, and they have no inherent right to dictate what the students will eat.

Government has no right to dictate what any of us eats under any guise whatsoever; it's not one of their jobs and it's none of their business.

And, as LexConcord said upthread, this whole issue is more about control than it is about dietary health of our kids.

Are you against an initiative to make school lunches healthier? Any age, you pick. Should schools switch back to less healthy menus to appease students' need for junk food, as the article states they regularly eat.

If you aren't, what is the outrage?

Lex's post is exactly why the libertarian position is beyond marginal. Rambone as well. Eliminate the ED isn't a workable solution.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

The point at issue is that being against something and being against the .gov mandating what you WILL do are two entirely different matters.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    The point at issue is that being against something and being against the .gov mandating what you WILL do are two entirely different matters.

Easy solution. Do what the high school students in the video do. Bring your lunch. You can find the quote in one of Drudge's links about the outrage de' jour. The kids in the video decided to bring their own lunch. Meanwhile, our nation will work towards providing healthy lunches for the millions of students who dine in the cafeteria.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

Lex's post is exactly why the libertarian position is beyond marginal. Rambone as well. Eliminate the ED isn't a workable solution.

Quite frankly, I don't care if they want to eat dirt. That's up to their parents; not me; not you; not the school. I'm tired of schools - and government - attempting to enact social engineering instead of doing the job they are hired to do; a job at which they, overall, seem to be failing.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Easy solution. Do what the high school students in the video do. Bring your lunch. You can find the quote in one of Drudge's links about the outrage de' jour. The kids in the video decided to bring their own lunch. Meanwhile, our nation will work towards providing healthy lunches for the millions of students who dine in the cafeteria.

This is an issue which properly falls under the jurisdiction of the school board, not the federal government.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Quite frankly, I don't care if they want to eat dirt. That's up to their parents; not me; not you; not the school. I'm tired of schools - and government - attempting to enact social engineering instead of doing the job they are hired to do; a job at which they, overall, seem to be failing.

So what becomes of the millions of students who come to school without a lunch box? Do we feed them dirt?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon

And like I said most of these children are getting free or reduced lunches....they depend on their school for breakfast and lunch during the week...the kids go hungry all day or only eat just a bit, they go home and many do not get dinner...most are under-nourished and being hungry makes it hard to concentrate and do good in school...kids don't do good in school they drop out. They don't get good jobs or they just don't work...they get in line with their parents and grandparents before them and go to the government plantation. I guess the liberals are making sure their voting block stays in place for the next couple of generations.

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The US Army, one of the largest social engineering test beds in the nation, did away with company Mess Halls many years ago and replaced them with cafeteria-style dining facilities. While in recent years, military dieticians have succeeded in getting a better variety of meals inserted into the menu, many troops prefer fast food over other types of meals. Of course, why would schools want to learn the lessons learned by the Army? Their objective, overall, is indoctrination and control, rather than just getting the bitty bodies fed.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    We let them bring their own lunches, buy their lunches, or do without. That - once again - is a parental issue, not a school or governmental issue.

Exactly. Millions of students buy their lunch at school. So, parents that don't pack a lunch everyday should have their child fed dirt. Got it. Thankfully, your position lies on the fringe of the fringe.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    And like I said most of these children are getting free or reduced lunches....they depend on their school for breakfast and lunch during the week...the kids go hungry all day or only eat just a bit, they go home and many do not get dinner...most are under-nourished and being hungry makes it hard to concentrate and do good in school...kids don't do good in school they drop out. They don't get good jobs or they just don't work...they get in line with their parents and grandparents before them and go to the government plantation. I guess the liberals are making sure their voting block stays in place for the next couple of generations.

Easy solution. Quit dumping your nutritious food in the trash because you feel entitled to french fries and chocolate milk.

Am I in bizzaro world? Healthy school lunches are now social engineering? What was it called when ketchup was considered a serving of vegetables?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

Why is it unworkable?

It was certainly workable to bring it to a state of magnificent publicly-funded ineffective opulence from a system of widely-scattered privately-funded institutions; what Rubicon have we crossed that prevents us from turning back the Prussian beast?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Misdirection. Inject humor.

Solution: absent.

While I agree it was humorous, I thought the point was quite clear. If any food is to be provided, it should be as inexpensive as possible.

My solution is to work toward the elimination of publicly funded education altogether.

The kids aren't being educated with what I and millions of others are forced at gunpoint to send their way, why should I care what they are forced or allowed to eat; my concern is the minimization of cost as the ingrained dependence is the one thing I would concede that would make my primary goal "unworkable".

Top Bottom