• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    I understand that First Ladies need to have their pet project. Didn't this start with getting kids to exercise? I'm fine with trying to promote exercise but like everything, an Obama takes it too far. She's as ridiculous as he is. I wish someone would impose their views on them and and require them to do what they don't want.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    What a nonsense article. It has no facts, no details but a lot of blame.
    Kids are still hungry? Ok, are they eating everything? How many calories are in the standard fare?
    Kids don't like the vegetables? Tough shinnola. Bring your own food then.
    Kids want chocolate milk and not regular? Bring your own.

From this article, I'm not sure I see a problem (unless you're not allowed to bring your own food, then I'm not happy). The Gov't was deciding what those kids were eating before too, they only changed the menu.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    That is EXACTLY the problem. Many (some? most?) public schools will confiscate any unapproved food (your sack lunch). You are REQUIRED to eat what they serve.

So, don't be happy. Be mad. :xmad:

Thanks. The article mentions none of that, which would go a long way to make that point. My understanding is some school districts do not allow you to bring your own food (I agree that it's an outrage), but what percentage of schools do that? is it all? 50%? 5%? I've never seen it backed up. I have seen that NC article before and one more in IL, but that was it, which makes me think it's a local problem and not a federal intrusion.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    More of the typical "Nanny State" we-know-better-than-you-how-you-should-live-your-life crud. Combine that with all the appeals to contribute "stuff" to "the children". A recent radio commercial is driving me nuts, lately. Guy describes a cold, blustery day with him sitting in his car watching two kids standing on a street corner waiting for a school bus (presumably) with no hats or gloves. The implication is that the kids are too poor to own a hat or a pair of gloves.

In the first place, if the guy is so concerned, he could go to the nearest Dollar Store, buy them each a hat and a pair of gloves, go back to the street corner, and give them to the kids. End of problem.

Secondly, if it's cold outside, why don't their parents either forego a pack of cigarettes or a six-pack of beer, go to the Dollar Store, etc.?

Thirdly, as I recall from my youth (long ago in the Ice Age, apparently) if it's not "cool" to wear a hat and gloves, kids will gladly freeze in place rather than wear the things, no matter how many pair you give 'em.

Hint: Why don't public service radio announcements encourage parents to be responsible for outfitting their own children rather than encouraging them to ask for handouts?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    The gist of the article is that kids are hungry because they won't eat the lunch provided to them. It states they likely eat nothing but junk food at home so the fruits and vegetables are being thrown away at school.

The government is trying to impose a new diet that children are not accustomed to. It’s not reasonable to expect them to either eat what the government deems healthy or go hungry. Many will opt to go hungry, and that’s the government’s fault.

It isn't reasonable to eat the lunch provided? And, since you didn't eat it is Obama's fault. Talk about entitlement.

So, schools are no longer cranking out hamburger patties slathered with gravy and calling it Salisbury steak. Are the days of ketchup being classified as a vegetable over? What exactly is the problem here?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The gist of the article is that kids are hungry because they won't eat the lunch provided to them. It states they likely eat nothing but junk food at home so the fruits and vegetables are being thrown away at school.

The government is trying to impose a new diet that children are not accustomed to. It’s not reasonable to expect them to either eat what the government deems healthy or go hungry. Many will opt to go hungry, and that’s the government’s fault.

It isn't reasonable to eat the lunch provided? And, since you didn't eat it is Obama's fault. Talk about entitlement.

So, schools are no longer cranking out hamburger patties slathered with gravy and calling it Salisbury steak. Are the days of ketchup being classified as a vegetable over? What exactly is the problem here?

Why do we need parents anymore? Just take the children away and institutionalize them at an early age. The government could then dictate what they eat, what they wear, how they act and think. Would that work better for you?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    That's right, focus on Moochelle. The real problem has nothing to do with her, and will persist long after she's gone.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Why do we need parents anymore? Just take the children away and institutionalize them at an early age. The government could then dictate what they eat, what they wear, how they act and think. Would that work better for you?

Good grief. It is a school lunch, not a conspiracy to institutionalize your child. "The government" has been creating school lunch menus for a century.

Is the conservative position asking for less-healthy school lunches? I honestly do not understand the outrage here. As parents, do conservatives want their child to eat unhealthy food at school? Do you not want your child fed fruits and vegetables?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

I could almost agree with you if the government - in the person of the schools - weren't banning home-made lunches. As to whether or not kids are eating properly, seems to me that's a parental responsibility, not a governmental function.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I could almost agree with you if the government - in the person of the schools - weren't banning home-made lunches. As to whether or not kids are eating properly, seems to me that's a parental responsibility, not a governmental function.

Every school has a cafeteria. Every school needs to make available a lunch for students who do not bring a lunch. "The government" is thus obligated to make a menu. Even the simplest of men can deduce that those lunches should consist of a balanced, healthy meal.

I am supposed to have sympathy for a man who dumps out a plate of food because it is too healthy and then complains about being hungry? Give me a break.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Good grief. It is a school lunch, not a conspiracy to institutionalize your child. "The government" has been creating school lunch menus for a century.

Is the conservative position asking for less-healthy school lunches? I honestly do not understand the outrage here. As parents, do conservatives want their child to eat unhealthy food at school? Do you not want your child fed fruits and vegetables?

Typical liberal twist. Under no circumstances should a school be able to overrule a parent. If a parent sends lunch with the child then that is what the parent wants that child to eat. In answer to your first statement; It is a conspiracy to program your children to do as the government says to do. They feed them full of liberal sheep-think all day and now want to feed them sheep food for lunch.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Typical liberal twist. Under no circumstances should a school be able to overrule a parent. If a parent sends lunch with the child then that is what the parent wants that child to eat. In answer to your first statement; It is a conspiracy to program your children to do as the government says to do. They feed them full of liberal sheep-think all day and now want to feed them sheep food for lunch.

Liberal twist? We aren't even talking about sack lunches. The article is about kids dumping out the school lunch and complaining about being hungry. Bringing a lunch from home isn't even mentioned.

Oh man, I think the NFL is in on this as well with their Play 60 campaign. Better get World Nut Daily on this. Maybe Breitbart can send in that kid with an undercover camera.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Yep. If mom & dad want to send a pbj with Johnny because it's the ONLY thing he will eat... don't confiscate it because he isn't eating a black bean & hummus salad. If mom & dad want Sally to have apple juice in her lunch, don't confiscate it because you think she should have milk. Maybe she's intolerant. Maybe she has a cold and they are keeping dairy out. Maybe she just freakin' doesn't like milk.
    It's nonya.
    And while we're staying out of lunches, stop re-writing history books and leaving out huge chunks of information and events.
    Stop moving the herd at the speed of the slowest member and let whomever is going to excel...well...EXCEL.
    </ >

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I guess when the original topic isn't an outrage blue medal winner, we just change to an entirely different topic.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Yep. If mom & dad want to send a pbj with Johnny because it's the ONLY thing he will eat... don't confiscate it because he isn't eating a black bean & hummus salad. If mom & dad want Sally to have apple juice in her lunch, don't confiscate it because you think she should have milk. Maybe she's intolerant. Maybe she has a cold and they are keeping dairy out. Maybe she just freakin' doesn't like milk.
    It's nonya.
    And while we're staying out of lunches, stop re-writing history books and leaving out huge chunks of information and events.
    Stop moving the herd at the speed of the slowest member and let whomever is going to excel...well...EXCEL.
    </ >

Exactly! +1.

Top Bottom