• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Well... last Sunday was a nice day. Went to church, got my hair cut, cut the grass, went to go put some tubs up on a shelf in the garage and suddenly realized that was the last normal day I was going to have for a long while.

Tub slipped, tried to catch it out of reflex, took a bit of a tumble and landed with my left knee bending sideways in ways that are not quite natural. After a minute or three, decided I better get in the house to ice it down. Nope, couldn't put any weight on it. Popping sounds and me falling right to the floor. Crawled across the floor to my cell phone that was on top of a cabinet, pulled myself up to reach it and call the wife. Her and my son rush out and looking at their faces, I knew this was bad.

They rushed me off to the emergency room where I found out it wasn't anything simple like a dislocation, the tibial plateau was fractured. Got all splinted up and some nice pain meds and made an appointment with an ortho doc. Scheduled for surgery Tuesday morning to get a plate and some screws put in. Nice... guess I will have to get searched by the TSA idiots every time now.

Swelling wouldn't go down any after a couple of days so called the doc, he had me come right in to loosen the dressings. He did that and had me go for an ultrasound just in case of a blood clot. Yep, got one in a deep vein, so now I am going on blood thinners (rat poison). Been off work all week and will not be able to put weight on it for two months, full weight for three. At least I am a desk jockey now, just sit around and tell others what to do.

Never realized how much I took normal mobility for granted. Crutches suck, a walker is better but cumbersome. Wheelchair is pretty good but trouble fitting through places and a pain in the ass to take in and out of a car. Cannot drive for a while, so I will have to depend on wife, kids, or co-workers to help me get to and from the airport. Boss realizes he misses me a bit... that is good. I kept my side of things running pretty smooth and he is looking forward to me getting back in the swing of things. Wife misses the little things I do around the place, plus misses me just being able to get up and grab another cup of coffee... I married well, she has been my rock through all of this.

Sure wish I could go out and mow the lawn right now. My daughter is going to push me around Bass Pro tomorrow for Fathers day so I can spend a gift card or two I have gathering dust. So everyone out there, go stretch your legs, walk over to feed the dogs, change the thermostat, answer the door, change oil in a car, something. I will sit and be envious... and hopefully no longer take something so simple for granted again.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Man, oh man. Sorry to hear!

When you are starting to get back up and about, and your docs give you exercise instructions, FOLLOW THEM! Annoying at the time, but makes a world of difference in the long run.

Best of luck, and a speedy recovery! Try not to get too bored...

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I am actually looking forward to the PT, I hate sitting on my butt all the time like this.

I have a Form 1 pending, one of my projects was to build a SD Tactical suppressor and 300 blackout to play with. Then take the other lower I have and turn it into a plinker for my son. Really going to miss the range time this summer. Hopefully as I heal, I will feel a little more confident in gimping around places not flat and smooth.

Still need to get back out in my shop to find the rest of the .308 ammo I was going to trade on 300 blackout components. I am worried that by the time I get back on my feet (financially and literally) that between Orlando and Hillary, prices for my evil black rifle projects will go out of sight. I would post a WTB/WTT for some parts and pieces, but since I cannot travel at will for a while, I will be wasting everyone's time. I do need to find some cast off pieces and parts from others when they have upgraded their builds. Just sitting here feeling sorry for myself waiting for the wife so I can take a shower. Man I miss the little things...

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I think everyone takes mobility for granted. Once you lose it, your life (and the lives of people around you) are turned upside down.

Litebow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Near Avon
    You don't know what you have until it's gone. Applies to a lot of things. Spent 6 weeks on crutches and wheelchair myself for a much more minor break. It sucked. Hope your recovery goes well.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I hear ya. Broke my ankle a few months back, nowhere near as bad as what you have though. My wife dreads the day if I ever get a serious injury that limits my mobility, I'm a surly invalid. Keep the spirits up and keep the mind busy.

Top Bottom