• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    *sigh*

I had another "friend" try to recruit me to an MLM today. I swear, this is getting really old. From the very first time I was ambushed into selling Amway with a phony "dinner invitation", I've been extremely skeptical any time anyone says "Do you have a few minutes to watch this video?" Let's count the bullet points, shall we?

• A friend you haven't talked to in years suddenly wanting you to go into business with him
    • Refusal to provide a company name
    • A video or other presentation that repeatedly extols the virtues of a particular business plan while at the same time never mentioning any details whatsoever
    • A long list of companies they do business with
    • Any of the following phrases:

1. Mentoring
    2. Profit sharing
    3. In your spare time
    • A request to attend an "info session" for more details, but they won't tell you when, where, or how much.

The son of a friend of mine just tried to sell me steak knives last week. I knew what the deal was (he pays $299 for his "sales kit" and then shills cheap over-priced knives), but he just graduated high school and he may end up making a few bucks before he goes to college in the fall. At the very least, he'll learn an important lesson about what to look for in a job. That meeting was annoying, but I was happy to do it for him as a favor to my friend.

I am at the point now where I'm willing to disavow any knowledge of any so-called "friend" who attempts to lure me into one of these scams. These things **** me off so much I want to scream.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Ya wanna buy a bracelet?? ;) (from another thread)

sucker.jpg

Last edited:

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Scutter, I really feel for you man, those disguised sales pitches really suck big time. I've had "friends" I haven't talked to in years from way back in school come to me with sales pitches on all sorts of ****. Once I find out what's really going on, I just tell them that I'm not interested nor do I appreciate the deception.

It's really sad how many people can just get sucked into a pyramid scheme and really truly believe in it enough to make other people trust it as much as they do. The one I'm talking about involved selling cell phone or internet services to people and collecting some sort of a commission on it? It doesn't really matter what it was, it was a scam.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I watched his video. I told Spasmo (the second he mentioned it) that it was an MLM, but I watched it anyway. It was only a 6 minute video, completely devoid of substance. At the end, I told him to go eff himself. After that, I went to do some digging and sure enough, it's an Amway shell company. That's the absolute last time. I'm not doing any more "favors". Someone wants to do offer me a business deal, I want a business plan and company name up front. I'm not wasting any more time on these things.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I sat through a video one time...and one time only.:rolleyes: That was the biggest waste of time and it took everything I had to keep my eyes open just in respect of my friend. I'm not sure how it turned out for him. Used to work with him and seen him all the time but he quit and I haven't talked to him in over 2 years.

Edit:

Just saw your second post. At least the vid you watched was only 6 minutes. 30-45 minutes is the one I sat through.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    *sigh*

I had another "friend" try to recruit me to an MLM today. I swear, this is getting really old. From the very first time I was ambushed into selling Amway with a phony "dinner invitation", I've been extremely skeptical any time anyone says "Do you have a few minutes to watch this video?" Let's count the bullet points, shall we?

When I get these "friends" ask me a question like that, my reply is usually,
    "Do you value my opinion". If they say no, tell to have a great day/night come back when they are not selling anything.

If they say yes, I ask them why do they want to ruin a friendship by trying to drag me through the mud with them, and proceed to try and talk so sense back into them since they have been through a zombie brain washing clinic.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    i bet this is a "Fortune High Tech Marketing" thread!!

This one was "Leadership Team Development", but they don't tell you that. They give the mark some website space and help them set up their own website. I had to trace the IP addresses and the registrars to get that much info. The rest was just googling.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just saw your second post. At least the vid you watched was only 6 minutes. 30-45 minutes is the one I sat through.

I only watched it because it was only 6 minutes. There's not a chance in hell I would have sat through 30 minutes. I knew what this one was going in. If I hadn't known, I would have walked out as soon as I worked it out. Also, this one was just an online vid, so I didn't have to go to a fake dinner somewhere.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    A VERY good friend of mine tried to get me to do something similar. He was claiming that I could make 50k in a year's time. I respect him too much to beat around the bush so I told him I was not interested. After some "negotiating" I told him that as soon as I saw HIS 50k I'd get onboard with it...

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I feel the same way about those BS "parties" where the host(ess) gets a free gift and invites all of her friends. Candles, cooking crap, whatever. The attendees always come home with some overpriced piece of crap because they feel "obligated."

EXCEPTION: I want to be invited to any of these "ladies" parties where they're selling lingerie and "toys." They're always cavorting around half-naked at those, right?? (Lie to me!)

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I feel the same way about those BS "parties" where the host(ess) gets a free gift and invites all of her friends. Candles, cooking crap, whatever. The attendees always come home with some overpriced piece of crap because they feel "obligated."

EXCEPTION: I want to be invited to any of these "ladies" parties where they're selling lingerie and "toys." They're always cavorting around half-naked at those, right?? (Lie to me!)

yes. yes they are. you can work the right side of the room, i get the left!

:patriot:

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've seen so many MLM pitches this year. Seems like since late January. I finally got to look some up tonight. Sure enough, they are MLMs - you know, just a bunch of smoke and mirrors. I did a trace of all the transactions I had heard about...

the all lead back to OBAMA!!!! :) [Wall Street bailout, etc]

Top Bottom