• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I can't "just" wear safety glasses. I need some Rx too. I can wear my Rx shooting glasses or I can wear contacts + my SSP. Depends on what type of shooting I'm doing.

I have the Top Focal Assortment kit from SSP. The kit came with clear, yellow and smoked lenses. The 1.5 were a bit too strong so settled for the 1.25. Focus is right on my front sight & didn't cost >$300 like my Rx shooting glasses. I'm not sure if SSP sells them as X magnification or diopter.

[video=youtube_share;kpDi0v7KhbU]http://youtu.be/kpDi0v7KhbU[/video]

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I can't "just" wear safety glasses. I need some Rx too. I can wear my Rx shooting glasses or I can wear contacts + my SSP. Depends on what type of shooting I'm doing.

I have the Top Focal Assortment kit from SSP. The kit came with clear, yellow and smoked lenses. The 1.5 were a bit too strong so settled for the 1.25. Focus is right on my front sight & didn't cost >$300 like my Rx shooting glasses. I'm not sure if SSP sells them as X magnification or diopter.

I am glad those worked out for you. I could not get them to work for me, and in fact they drove me crazy when not focused on the front sight. They probably would be a good choice for bullseye or static target work, but for the "run and gun" types of sports like USPSA and IDPA, it would be difficult to navigate the course with correction up top.

Well I be able to clearly see my target 500 yd. away?

ABSOLUTELY!!!

(not) :laugh:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yeah, I have a set of the SSP glasses that I would sell. They didn't work for me either. I couldn't keep my head oriented just right to keep the lens in line with my eye and the front sight.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Well I be able to clearly see my target 500 yd. away?

The higher the magnification, the blurrier the target will appear. We are talking about using these at typical pistol distances. I'm guessing 500 yds will be difficult.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I received my tinted pair of Elvex bifocals, and I don't care for them. I really thought they were the full lens magnification when I ordered them, so I am pretty disappointed.

With the bifocal at the bottom, you really have to tip your head up to see the front sight, and there is no way I would be able to shoot an entire stage that way. The SPP's are just the opposite with the bifocal at the top, but then you can't see to move around, so those are no good either.

I ordered some of these to see if they will work, but I am not optimistic. I am not a fan of the magnified insert type of glasses, which is what my $500 prescription progressive glasses are. This is basically all I can find in tinted sunglasses with "full lens" magnification. We will see if it was a waste of money ($30).

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B005QVO1OY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I received my tinted pair of Elvex bifocals, and I don't care for them. I really thought they were the full lens magnification when I ordered them, so I am pretty disappointed.

With the bifocal at the bottom, you really have to tip your head up to see the front sight, and there is no way I would be able to shoot an entire stage that way. The SPP's are just the opposite with the bifocal at the top, but then you can't see to move around, so those are no good either.

I ordered some of these to see if they will work, but I am not optimistic. I am not a fan of the magnified insert type of glasses, which is what my $500 prescription progressive glasses are. This is basically all I can find in tinted sunglasses with "full lens" magnification. We will see if it was a waste of money ($30).

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B005QVO1OY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

helix, I have a pair of those. I used them for quite awhile and currently I have just the right lens being used. I removed the left. Had to separate (break) it from one another. They should be large enough that you won’t be hunting for the lens.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Let us know how these work for you. I saw them but was afraid it would be a strange effect. Appreciate you taking the time/expense to try these and to share your learnings with us. It is really appreciated.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    helix, I have a pair of those. I used them for quite awhile and currently I have just the right lens being used. I removed the left. Had to separate (break) it from one another. They should be large enough that you won’t be hunting for the lens.

Interesting. So do you like them? I will try breaking one of the lenses out depending on how the testing goes. Thanks.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Just got mine. Got home from work and they they were. I have dry fired for about 20 min and boy the difference they work great,the front sight was not blurry but sharp and clear.
    Only problem I was never any good shooting have always blame it on my old man eyes. So don’t know what I will blame it on now.
    I went and got 2 pair so I am set for a while will have to wait till my finger heals to go to the range but so far blue ribbon idea. Thank you for your review and suggestion.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Interesting. So do you like them? I will try breaking one of the lenses out depending on how the testing goes. Thanks.

They seem to be the best option so far. I bought all the other stuff that I mentioned after I got those and I’m back to using them. I imagine I look a little goofy but I’ve never really cared about how people think I look.

It does get fatiguing during a long day and i switch to a pair of standard glasses when I’m not actually on the line shooting.

It would be nice if these new ones that you have suggested work even better.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Safety glasses across the entire lens. I keep meaning to buy these. Trick, as discovered throughout, is finding a middle ground.
    I have the ssp eyewear, which works great for seeing the sights, but not the target. Sadly, I discovered parallax within the ssp lens (I have a thread on it somewhere on here). You have to view directly in the center of the magnification area. Not a big deal left to right, but a HUGE issue up and down since the magnification is just a small portion about 1/3rd of the entire glass near the top.
    If you look too low, or too high through the lens, it will throw your POI off your POA. Things nearer refract differently than things furthers

These glasses spread that parallax across the entire lens, so less chance of shifting POI would be my thought.

It always sounds like some sort of excuse to others. People will say 'practice lining up sights on a white background' to excercise your eyes...

All I know is, I've gone from doing very technical detailed graphic design and sign work all of my life without the need for glasses up until about 4 years ago. And now I cannot read my computer screen without 2x glasses... let alone a front sight or pill bottle. Yet I have 20/20 vision (at 20'). And when you get lenses to focus on those up close things, everything else is a complete blur.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    On a side note, if you wear such lenses and shoot scoped rifle, try them with your scope. I accidentally discovered I could see much better with such lenses when I forgot to switch to normal shooting glasses. I'd always assumed the scope was doing the work for me. I was wrong. Many have told me to focus the reticle, of course that's a textbook answer for those who don't have similar eye problems. Everything is crisper with the lenses even when behind the scope for me.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Just got mine. Got home from work and they they were. I have dry fired for about 20 min and boy the difference they work great,the front sight was not blurry but sharp and clear.
    Only problem I was never any good shooting have always blame it on my old man eyes. So don’t know what I will blame it on now.
    I went and got 2 pair so I am set for a while will have to wait till my finger heals to go to the range but so far blue ribbon idea. Thank you for your review and suggestion.

Awesome news! I am loving mine, but as has been mentioned multiple times in this thread, I wish they made tinted versions.

gregkl said:
    They seem to be the best option so far. I bought all the other stuff that I mentioned after I got those and I’m back to using them. I imagine I look a little goofy but I’ve never really cared about how people think I look.

It does get fatiguing during a long day and i switch to a pair of standard glasses when I’m not actually on the line shooting.

It would be nice if these new ones that you have suggested work even better.

To refresh everyone's memory and make things clear, @gregkl and I are talking about these glasses as an option for full-frame magnification sunglasses:

https://amazon.com/dp/B005QVO1OY/?coliid=I28X9GW5ZEAWUV&colid=76D5Q07DJC88&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I just got my pair last night, and tried them on briefly, and honestly, they seemed to work pretty well around the house for the few minutes that I wore them. I am planning a range trip today and will check them out.

I wonder if the fatigue is caused by having only one lens installed? Makes your eyes work harder to try and adjust??? I am no expert, but just thinking out loud...

This is me to a T! I’m 58.

You're just a Youngin'!!! I turn 59 on Saturday!!! :oldwise:

Top Bottom