• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I slept with a gun on the pillow beside me for several years when I was single. No criminal behavior, just lived in an area that I didn't feel safe in and response time would be faster. If the first guy through my door was SWAT at the wrong address then I don't know what to tell you. Double oops
    Yeah, people do, it's just not common. I went through the Police Academy in 1997 having 0 firearms experience. I remember the training Sgt (with whom I'm still friends and one of the most well rounded self defense instructors I've ever met) was talking to us during our firearms qualification week. He suggested having a gun with you while sleeping was actually a bad idea (or at least not a good idea). For many people, it can take time to clear their head when awoken suddenly and that isn't a good time to have a gun in your hand while making a shoot/don't shoot decision. He suggested that keeping it on a dresser, or similar, and forcing yourself to get up to retrieve it, will allow you to break through that brain fog quicker. It's advice I've listened to since. No right or wrong , just different perspectives.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

Officers secured the accident scene, and attempted to assess injuries to determine whether emergency first aid needed to be administered. Officers then began to interview witnesses to determine what happened during the traffic accident. When the driver became aggressive, combative, and unsafe, they waited until he was away from anyone else who could be immediately injured and attempted the use of a non-lethal means to restrain the driver and ensure the safety of those nearby. When the non-lethal means was obviously insufficient, and the driver became an immediate threat to those nearby, officers used the appropriate level of force to stop the knife attack.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think we both know that not everyone who gets the midnight raid treatment has a reasonable expectation that it’s a possibility.

Hell I don’t think hardly anyone goes to sleep thinking “it’s a likely possibility that my door could get bashed in and I get held at gunpoint by the police” if that was a likely scenario in someone’s mind I doubt they would stay where they are that night.
    Do "we" know that? Cause I don't. How many people have you spoken to who have been at the receiving end of a no knock warrant? I think just maybe you don't know what you think you know. Instead since you can't stand authority and look for every opportunity to bash those mean pigs you're more than happy to jump to conclusions and make assumptions because you've watched every episode of cops and are a C.S.I. fan club member.

I happen to have talked to more than a few. I guess it's really strange that those most commonly visited in this manner have a propensity for spending a lot of money on good camera and alarm systems to alert them when the police are coming. Some pay people to keep watch through the night and alert them if anything jumps off or doesn't look right. Definitely sounds like the type who would have no idea why the police might visit.

Grow up already.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Do "we" know that? Cause I don't. How many people have you spoken to who have been at the receiving end of a no knock warrant? I think just maybe you don't know what you think you know. Instead since you can't stand authority and look for every opportunity to bash those mean pigs you're more than happy to jump to conclusions and make assumptions because you've watched every episode of cops and are a C.S.I. fan club member.

I happen to have talked to more than a few. I guess it's really strange that those most commonly visited in this manner have a propensity for spending a lot of money on good camera and alarm systems to alert them when the police are coming. Some pay people to keep watch through the night and alert them if anything jumps off or doesn't look right. Definitely sounds like the type who would have no idea why the police might visit.

Grow up already.
    Does all of that negate the effectiveness of the raid, or do the police circumvent those precautions?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Does all of that negate the effectiveness of the raid, or do the police circumvent those precautions?

Odds are they don’t even check for security. That’s how those two FBI agents got shot and killed and three wounded last year in Florida. Executing a early morning raid for CP on someone with a security system unaware that he had it. He saw them on camera and came at them with an AR bc he was in his own home with access to rifles. If they had waited for him to walk out the door on his way to his computer programmer job then he probably wouldn’t have had said AR and multiple people would be alive.

Billythekid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Phylo, I'll agree the shooting appears to be justified. That doesn't necessarily make it a good shoot. How long does it take you to wake up from a deep sleep if someone is yelling and kicks the couch you're sleeping on? And recognize what they are saying? It seemed to me to be about 6-7 seconds from when they started to yell to shots fired. If I'm sleeping pretty soundly it will almost guaranteed take me longer than that before I start comprehending what's being shouted.

Whether the no knock was justified, I have no idea. I will say IMO that they have been overused in the past, no idea on current.

I will say it appears that Locke had some training at least, it looks like he has his finger indexed along the slide rather than on the trigger. If that's ingrained enough to do it while waking up, he's probably has some experience.
    i am 100% pro police even though there a few bad ones... if i was to wake up like that with all the all the screaming and lets face it 6or7 people screaming it at the same time ti would be hard to under stand them.. your eyes not use to the light and being some what confused i would be grabbing for my gun!! this could happen to all of you when they come looking for your gun accessories, maybe even your guns!!!!

Billythekid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Indianapolis
    i am 100% pro police even though there a few bad ones... if i was to wake up like that with all the all the screaming and lets face it 6or7 people screaming it at the same time ti would be hard to under stand them.. your eyes not use to the light and being some what confused i would be grabbing for my gun!! this could happen to all of you when they come looking for your gun accessories, maybe even your guns!!!!

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I sometimes wonder if these aren't actual paid hits.
    WAH2pF5.gif

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Yeah, people do, it's just not common. I went through the Police Academy in 1997 having 0 firearms experience. I remember the training Sgt (with whom I'm still friends and one of the most well rounded self defense instructors I've ever met) was talking to us during our firearms qualification week. He suggested having a gun with you while sleeping was actually a bad idea (or at least not a good idea). For many people, it can take time to clear their head when awoken suddenly and that isn't a good time to have a gun in your hand while making a shoot/don't shoot decision. He suggested that keeping it on a dresser, or similar, and forcing yourself to get up to retrieve it, will allow you to break through that brain fog quicker. It's advice I've listened to since. No right or wrong , just different perspectives.

Yep.

That's why I keep my firearm on one side of the house and my ammunition on the other....gives me time to clear my head in an urgent situation.

IMG_0680.PNG

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yep.

That's why I keep my firearm on one side of the house and my ammunition on the other....gives me time to clear my head in an urgent situation.

View attachment 180734
    I keep all my guns in a locked safe in the basement. Just gotta call a timeout when the bad guys come busting in. "Hang On! Gotta go get my gun!"

Top Bottom