• ...and so much more!
  • 1SG USA Ret

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Pendleton
    Need a little bit of help here. I am reloading some 22-250 and I need the overall maximum length for Hornady 75 gr. ELD match. My book shows 70 grain at 2.320 and 80 grain at 2.610. I went to Hornady web site and, of course, they want to charge for any information they give out. I guess I could do it the old fashioned way and feed a round into the chamber slowly and close the bolt all the way, then take out the round and measure. BTW a Remington soft point measures 2.333. Thanks in advance.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Need a little bit of help here. I am reloading some 22-250 and I need the overall maximum length for Hornady 75 gr. ELD match. My book shows 70 grain at 2.320 and 80 grain at 2.610. I went to Hornady web site and, of course, they want to charge for any information they give out. I guess I could do it the old fashioned way and feed a round into the chamber slowly and close the bolt all the way, then take out the round and measure. BTW a Remington soft point measures 2.333. Thanks in advance.
    Its not just OAL of a cartridge, Its important, but it changes with each bullet or each lot of bullets.
    The ogive is also a factor with each bullet you shoot out of that rifle with its correlational with the lands of the rifling.
    And what will fit in the magazine.
    Some barrels have an overabundance of free bore in them.
    I just use an old Stony Point Over all Length Gauge and I drill and tap my own cases for it.

Or like you posted, you could just partially size a case and use that with a bullet.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I'm not a reloader, but why not goto a store with your calipers and measure both loads and stick to those specs so that your personal rounds measure the same every time to make your shot as accurate as can be.

1SG USA Ret

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Pendleton
    I'm not a reloader, but why not goto a store with your calipers and measure both loads and stick to those specs so that your personal rounds measure the same every time to make your shot as accurate as can be.
    I bought the bullets on sale and really didn't plan on reloading them unless SHTF. I was looking for a Hornady manual and it seems most gun shops and retailers are running low right now.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    75gr a max and bthp are 2.490 don't have anything on the eld. you can paint bullet with permanent marker and chamber to make sure your not jamming into rifling, jamming in to rifling could raise pressures.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Old fashioned way is pretty reliable. Anyone who reloads much should have a bullet ogive comparator. About $25? It's a large hex nut with 6 different caliber holes, one for each side. Makes it easy to maintain the same base to ogive length when changing bullets. Available thru Brownells, I'm sure.

CCPLuvr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Elkhart
    I assume you have a custom barrel on that rifle? I haven't seen a factory chambered 22-250 with an 8 twist to stabilize those bullet weights.
    With that aside your limitations are the max length the gun can feed and extract a loaded round, and the distance to the lands. Like you said, you can seat it long and keep pushing the bullet deeper until it chambers. Or buy a tool that makes the job much easier.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I assume you have a custom barrel on that rifle? I haven't seen a factory chambered 22-250 with an 8 twist to stabilize those bullet weights.
    With that aside your limitations are the max length the gun can feed and extract a loaded round, and the distance to the lands. Like you said, you can seat it long and keep pushing the bullet deeper until it chambers. Or buy a tool that makes the job much easier.
    several manufacturers make fast twist 22/250 rifles

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    Not many any more, as the 22 Needsmoor has over taken the 22-250. As the Needsmoor comes with a fast twist barrel (1/8 or 1/7) and longer magazine lengths, it out proforms the 22-250. And the other thing not many notice is that bullet makers are making longer bullets in .224 caliber for the same weight. Even some 50 grain bullets won't stabilize in the slow twist 1/14 barrels many 22-250's have. So do you spend $600 to $900 to re-barrel your 22-250? Or buy a new gun in 22 Needsmoor?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Not many any more, as the 22 Needsmoor has over taken the 22-250. As the Needsmoor comes with a fast twist barrel (1/8 or 1/7) and longer magazine lengths, it out proforms the 22-250. And the other thing not many notice is that bullet makers are making longer bullets in .224 caliber for the same weight. Even some 50 grain bullets won't stabilize in the slow twist 1/14 barrels many 22-250's have. So do you spend $600 to $900 to re-barrel your 22-250? Or buy a new gun in 22 Needsmoor?
    Should I re-barrel my two slow twist 223 rifles also? Have they ceased to stop killing the varmints I bought them for? Why re-barrel or replace it with the newest they think we should buy.
    Do you believe the manufacturers are going to stop making new 22-250 ammo and stop making reloading components available to the public?

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    I run 8 twist barrels on my .223's and 9 twist barrels on my 22-250's but just for the record 22-250 brass is getting harder to find and good brass for 22-250's even harder now that Lapua stop making it. 22 Creedmoor I can get Peterson and Alpha brass without too much problem. And with a good rifle action rechambering to 22 Creedmoor with a fast twist barrel makes sense. The Creedmoor is going to be about 0.20" longer so you need to check your magazine length to see if it fits, or see if you can add new bottom metal for the ACIS mags(308) or upgrade to a new stock that takes ACIS mags.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I run 8 twist barrels on my .223's and 9 twist barrels on my 22-250's but just for the record 22-250 brass is getting harder to find and good brass for 22-250's even harder now that Lapua stop making it. 22 Creedmoor I can get Peterson and Alpha brass without too much problem. And with a good rifle action rechambering to 22 Creedmoor with a fast twist barrel makes sense. The Creedmoor is going to be about 0.20" longer so you need to check your magazine length to see if it fits, or see if you can add new bottom metal for the ACIS mags(308) or upgrade to a new stock that takes ACIS mags.
    Not so many years ago no one made fast twist in many calibers.
    The company's keep bringing out new products and some just keep buying the latest and greatest.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    Like I said bullets have gotten longer and everyone wants boat-tails on them for better BC. Longer bullets and boat-tails mean faster twist. Good barrels are not cheap and with some P-dog towns you can shoot 250 to 500 rounds a day. With 2 guns you can burn out a barrel in 5 days with hot loads. Heavy bullets and wanting flat trajectory means hotly loaded ammo.
    But that is why we have gunsmiths and barrel makers!

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    I have a friend that works at a Cabela's and he had customer bring back a bolt action rifle because he said it wouldn't shoot (Remington 223 old model) ammo he was using was 75 grain Hornady.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Why not just form it yourself? We shoot many wildcats, I'm big with a bunch of little ones in the 17 to 19 calibers. And we form many cases along the way.
    The left is a 22 Hornet case that has been run through the first sizing die. And the next case is formed from a Hornet case into a 17 Squirrel.
    One the right is a necked down 218 Bee case to 17 caliber and the next case is a fire formed case thats been reloaded, its a !7 HeeBee.

You want fast?? The Squirrel will push a Burger 15 grainer right at 3500 fps and the HeeBee will push a Burger 18 grainer just under 4000 fps.

aa987.jpg

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have a friend that works at a Cabela's and he had customer bring back a bolt action rifle because he said it wouldn't shoot (Remington 223 old model) ammo he was using was 75 grain Hornady.
    A 223 for the most part is a Varmint cartridge and rifle. That rifle easily could be a 1-10" or a 1-12" twist rifle. It was not designed to shoot 75 grain bullets.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    I find light bullets in 30 mph winds blow around too much, Looking after my Switch barrel 22 GT/6MM GT build , I might try a 22 PRC build, then I can shoot 73 grain bullets at 4000 fps.

No 223 is not designed to shoot heavy bullets but shoots 73 to 77 grain bullets into 1/2" if I do my part, others have shot my rifles and have gotten 3/8" groups from them with heavy bullets.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I find light bullets in 30 mph winds blow around too much, Looking after my Switch barrel 22 GT/6MM GT build , I might try a 22 PRC build, then I can shoot 73 grain bullets at 4000 fps.

No 223 is not designed to shoot heavy bullets but shoots 73 to 77 grain bullets into 1/2" if I do my part, others have shot my rifles and have gotten 3/8" groups from them with heavy bullets.
    What?

Top Bottom