• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've decided to try something here. In honor of our soldiers and saliors and airmen and police and firemen and paramedics and eveyone that keeps us free and safe I would like to start a picture thread dedicated to them. We have a funny picture thread and a show and tell thread but we have failed to create an "Honor" picture thread... Until now! So let's post our pictures, shields, crests, funny, serious, beautiful, anything about those who serve and protect. More to be a serious thread but more strictly an on subject thread. Also if you find them via a website, post referance to that website! Thanks!

I have a lot of military pictures but I'm starting with some Navy pics I came across.

Found here... USS HOWARD (DDG 83)

080815-N-5961C-001_s.jpg

080916-N-0857H-1415_s.jpg

big20gun.jpg

mainwaves.jpg

Overall20First.jpg

Overall20Second.jpg

Sailors20First.jpg

Scenic20First.jpg

Scenic20HM.jpg

Scenic20Third.jpg

Ships20First.jpg

Ships20HM.jpg

Ships20Third.jpg

tomahawk.jpg

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I have some with myself and the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders. They visted my ship (USS Marvin Shields FF1066) when we were out in the middle of the Indian Ocean. I'll have to see if I can dig them out and scan them.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I took these near Khe Sanh during the TET offensive in 1968. Puff the Magic Dragon doing his thing.........

puff1.jpg

puff2.jpg

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    The picture is a little faded from I believe 1974/75. This was taken just after PO Michael E. Thornton received the Medal of Honor at the White House. He's the one without the cover.
    spxm9v.jpg

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    That's awesome. I guess I could also add that any stories, be them stories of honor, humor, or anything those would be cool too. Anything we can do as a tribute and to honor.

How did he get his Medal Of Honor?

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    This is the basic reading of the Citation........

for service as set forth in the following:

For consipicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while participating in a daring operation against enemy forces in the Republic of Vietnam on October 31, 1972.
    Petty Officer Thornton, as assistant U>S> Navy Advisor, along with a ULS> Navy lieutenant serving as senior advisor, accompanied a three-man Vietnamese Navy SEAL patrol on an intelligence gathering and prisoner capture operation against an enemy-occupied naval river base. Launched from a Vietnamese Navy junk in a rubber boat, the patrol reached land and was continuing on foot toward its objective when it suddenly came under heavy fire from a numerically superior force. The patrol called in naval gunfire support and then engaged the enemy in a fierce firefight, accounting for many enemy casualties before moving back to the waterline to prevent encirclement. Upon learning that the senior advisor had been hit by enemy fire and was believed to be dead, Petty Officer Thornton returned through a hail of fire to the lieutenant's last position, quickly disposed of two enemy soldiers about to overrun the position, and succeeded in removing the seriously wounded and unconscious senior naval advisor to the water's edge. He then inflated the lieutenant's lifejacket and towed him seaward for approximately two hours until picked up by support craft. By his extraordinary courage and perseverance, Petty Officer Thornton was directly responsible for saving the life of his superior officer and enabling the safe extraction of all patrol members, thereby upholding the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Last edited:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    This is the basic reading of the Citation........

for service as set forth in the following:

For consipicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while participating in a daring operation against enemy forces in the Republic of Vietnam on October 31, 1972.
    Petty Officer Thornton, as assistant U>S> Navy Advisor, along with a ULS> Navy lieutenant serving as senior advisor, accompanied a three-man Vietnamese Navy SEAL patrol on an intelligence gathering and prisoner capture operation against an enemy-occupied naval river base. Launched from a Vietnamese Navy junk in a rubber boat, the patrol reached land and was continuing on foot toward its objective when it suddenly came under heavy fire from a numerically superior force. The patrol called in naval gunfire support and then engaged the enemy in a fierce firefight, accounting for many enemy casualties before moving back to the waterline to prevent encirclement. Upon learning that the senior advisor had been hit by enemy fire and was believed to be dead, Petty Officer Thornton returned through a hail of fire to the lieutenant's last position, quickly disposed of two enemy soldiers about to overrun the position, and succeeded in removing the seriously wounded and unconscious senior naveal advisor to the water's edge. He then inflated the lieutenant's lifejacket and towed him seaward for approximately two hours until picked up by support craft. By his extraordinary courage and perseverance, Petty Officer Thornton was directly responsible for saving the life of his superior officer and enabling the safe extraction of all patrol members, thereby upholding the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Ok. You got the tears flowing and the lump in the throat going with that one!

Thank you for starting this thread! It's fantastic! :patriot:

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Ladies and gentlemen, I present "The Battered Bastards of Bastogne"

D-Day-Eisenhower.jpg

BastSig-1.jpg

101_bastogne.jpg

306.jpg

NUTS!

On 15 March 1945, the entire 101st Airborne Division was awarded the Distinguished Unit Citation for it's actions in Bastogne. It was the first time in the history of the US Army that an entire division was so honored.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    USS Jonas Ingram DD 938 during an unrep (underway replenishment for all you lubbers). I am honored to say I was serving aboard her when this shot was taken. She was a proud ship and home for many fine sailors, and is now serving as reef off the Jersey coast.

Top Bottom