• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Well... I have been a long time supporter of Midwest Gun Exchange and Midwest Gun & Range.

I have always tried to buy from them before going to an online store and between me and my two shooting buddies, we probably spent more than $10k last year across both stores. I was a gun hobbyist before this crazy price hike and will be one long after the panic buyers have moved on to something else.

I've read mixed comments about them here on INGO, but had only had good experiences there until recently. I understand that the workers are a bit stressed out about the extra workload and I have no problem with them putting whatever prices they want on any of their items or services.

If people are willing to pay a buck a round for 5.56... then so be it. However, last night left a sour taste in my mouth...

Last night I was considering re-upping my membership to their indoor range which comes in at $450 for 1 year ($50 more than last year... but whatever I understand the panic). Being that its March... and given that we have always been pro-rated in years past, I naturally thought that this year would be no different.

I approached one of their sales guys and asked him how much it would cost me for a membership and he told me $450. I asked him how much it would be pro-rated... and he then proceeded to look at me like a ****ing idiot and tell me "$450... its only 2 months and I should have re-upped in January" then he rolled his eyes. I asked him "what if I wanted a membership in June?" ... got a similar response and reaction. Very short and very "you and your money aren't important".

Now... before I go any further. I could care less about getting pro-rated. Their place... they can create any rules they want and had he not been such a nonchalant prick about it, I probably would have paid it. However, a little respect and customer service go along way and I know where this attitude comes from. It comes from their manager who I've seen talk to other customers (not myself) with the same exact demeanor. It seems obvious that the subordinates are taking ques from leadership.

As a customer, I get the hint. My money isn't important enough for this guy to at least act like I was worth talking to. Needless to say I didn't purchase a membership... I instead whipped out the 2 free-range passes that I was given for purchasing a $600 rifle from them last week.

I did have to purchase 4 targets which came to $2. I pulled out my debit card (I don't carry cash usually) to pay for them and in typical prick fashion he laughed at me for pulling out a debit card for 2 bucks. The funny thing is... I planned to use that debit card to pay for a $400-$450 membership.

My budget this year for firearms related activities is somewhere between $4k-$5k and because of this experience Midwest won't see another penny of it unless absolutely necessary. They went from being my "go to" place to purchase to being blacklisted... and my buddy who was with me feels the same.

It would be different if I was being an ass and he returned the favor... but because he couldn't answer a simple question with a little courtesy, I'll be taking my business to Granger Guns or ZX or ****ing Cheaper than Dirt first....

Shame too, because there are some really squared away guys on their staff. Josh works at the range and he is absolutely awesome! He can't be more than about 25years old and is the most impressive firearms guy I know.

sig40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    I have had nothing but crap service when going into midwest. I was in there when they had a shipment of ammo come in and was going to buy alot of .22lr since they do not have a limit. The person who was helping me said that it was not fair that I bought the last two cases that they had. I asked him is there a limit he responded no but it will leave us with nothing. I told him there is not a limit i want the last two cases. i feel if they have a problem with buying in bulk they need to set a limit. I wasnt buying all of it for me anyhow it has been divided up between 4 guys not that that matters. i will never go to midwest again.

np241or

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    I know this post is old but i have said i will never step thru mgexchange in mishawaka again, i did go in yesterday to get 1 box of 9s,they finally limit to 1 box ,before they would let people buy up everything in one shot, or so it seemed.:ar15:Stand by the ammo counter for 5 min. and watch them take people that just walked up:ugh:. I will never step foot in there again, until next time.;) I dont mean buying up the last 2 boxes . Your right sig40,its none of there concern ,someone has to be the last taker .ive watched people buy the last 10 boxes . I think it depends on the person behind the counter

Last edited:

Seabass

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Shame too, because there are some really squared away guys on their staff. Josh works at the range and he is absolutely awesome! He can't be more than about 25years old and is the most impressive firearms guy I know.

I couldn't agree more about Josh. I didn't know that was his name but he really knows his stuff. He is also friendly and very helpful.

Dealing with him almost made me forget about the a$$&@!e manager that treated me like dirt, AFTER buying 2 1911's from him personally.

I bought 2 Para P 14.45's and a Sig Tac Op's from them and I'll never go back.

On the other hand, ZX in Goshen is as good as advertised.

BaseDeltaZero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    South Bend
    I went in there the other night to finally buy an AR and they were $300 higher than Bass Pro but I would rather spend money at a local store. The salesman asked the manager if they would price match but he said it had to be the same exact rifle and in stock. I stopped by Bass Pro to take a picture of it the next day and it was gone. The more I thought about it I should have just bought it at Bass Pro the first time I saw it, at least they were only $10 over MSRP. I guess the extra $290 was for the lube when Midwest was trying to give it to me.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    When they marked their AR-15 up to $2800 is when they lost me as a customer. I know people will not agree, but I've been taking mental notes as to what shops are trying to take advantage of the situation and who has not. I understand that items need to be marked up due to demand, but 3x was ridiculous. $2800 was never the going price, hence, they always had inventory. I'm just not seeing $300 over mrsp not flying off the shelves now for AR's. just my opinion.

I would like to thank Midwest as their price gouging left a bad taste in my mouth, which led me to discover ZX guns.

sig40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Midwest does have the worst customer service known to man but the one thing that I will say positive about them is that if they have ammo in stock they do not limit you to two boxes like most places are doing. because if you are going to have a day at the range two boxes just wont cut it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When they marked their AR-15 up to $2800 is when they lost me as a customer. I know people will not agree, but I've been taking mental notes as to what shops are trying to take advantage of the situation and who has not. I understand that items need to be marked up due to demand, but 3x was ridiculous. $2800 was never the going price, hence, they always had inventory. I'm just not seeing $300 over mrsp not flying off the shelves now for AR's. just my opinion.

I would like to thank Midwest as their price gouging left a bad taste in my mouth, which led me to discover ZX guns.

I agree on this. I was surprised when suddenly all of their ARs jumped up into that type of price range. They started out holding prices down but then suddenly the dam burst and they were a local CTD.

Tatorchip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    There are a fair amount of D-bags that work at Midwest Mishawaka (at least in my opinion). However, Tim has always been helpful, attentive, knowledgeable and genuinely willing to help. I believe he only is working on weekends but if anyone is willing to give them another chance, I would suggest seeking out Tim. My :twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    South Bend
    I bought a fal from them a few years ago for around 800. Fell on hard times and needed quick cash...I figured the place I bought it (and many other guns) would take care of me. They offered 150 for a gun I bought from them 3 months prior, even the kid back that took it to the manager looked shocked. That left a very bad taste in my mouth....it wasn't until I saw their "sales" flyer and the obvious price gouging that I vowed never to shop from them again.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Ive said it a couple times but when i went to midwest i always dealt with a guy named cameron. He was the nicest guy, and was always willing to help no matter how small the purchase. There were a couple other guys there whom are good people. I always thought as a whole though they were complete jerks. I once had a employee make fun of me for looking through mosins. I also thought it was in extreme distaste that the day after the sandy hook shootings they started promoting an ak blow out sell. It was pretty obvious they were trying to jump on the panic wagon immediately.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Holy cow, Midwest seems to have irritated a lot of INGOers! I would imagine that it's partly because of how big the store is. Bigger = more customers = more pissed-off people. I get it.

However, I've visited a lot of other gun stores and, while the folks who work in the smaller stores may (or may not) be friendlier, if they don't have guns, then what's the point?

A nice, big, bright store with LOTS of inventory costs more to operate than a dingy, dinky gun store with a couple of cases of guns. Pure economics. Buying guns is a lot like buying tires, batteries or any other commodities -- a Goodyear M/TR is going to perform exactly the same whether you buy it from a Goodyear store or from Sam's Club. Service is the only variable.

If you're in the market for a specific gun and it's available at both Midwest and at a smaller gun shop, it's likely to be cheaper at the smaller shop. Buy it there.

My wife likes to go to Nordstrom's. I hate the place. I wouldn't spend a dime there for any of their stuff. But it makes her happy. She might find the exact blouse somewhere else for less, but she wouldn't be as happy. What do I care?

I've been to Midwest during crazy times, with sales people running all over and customers being ignored. I've also seen pushy customers just ignore other customers who were patiently waiting and interrupt sales guys.

I have no beef with Midwest. Service has always been good for me, even if their prices are a little higher than others. Their overhead requires a higher price, and if some are willing to pay for the large inventory to peruse, what's wrong with that? It's the price of business.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Ive said it a couple times but when i went to midwest i always dealt with a guy named cameron. He was the nicest guy, and was always willing to help no matter how small the purchase. There were a couple other guys there whom are good people. I always thought as a whole though they were complete jerks. I once had a employee make fun of me for looking through mosins. I also thought it was in extreme distaste that the day after the sandy hook shootings they started promoting an ak blow out sell. It was pretty obvious they were trying to jump on the panic wagon immediately.

Cameron is a good dude... bought my first gun from him. Whenever I would purchase from the main store in Mishawaka, I went to see Cameron.

Mishawaka --> Cameron
    Elkhart --> Josh... I won't even look at the other guys. Its a no brainer!

Nelg

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Elkhart
    Cameron is a good dude... bought my first gun from him. Whenever I would purchase from the main store in Mishawaka, I went to see Cameron.

Mishawaka --> Cameron
    Elkhart --> Josh... I won't even look at the other guys. Its a no brainer!

Mishawaka store I like Lucas and Steve
    Elkhart store I have to agree about Josh he is the man

Bigdaddybell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    Crown Point
    I have purchased two firearms at MGE. Both times I delt with salesman named Chris Tucker. He was very knowledgable and took alot of time helping me out with the firearms, ammo, and accessories. I have had good luck in there and their prices are very competitive.

Top Bottom