• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    This is what trouble might look like IF you were carrying and SHOULD you have taken a wrong turn and IF you thought you were headed to Terre Haute AND you wondered "why in the Sam Hill am I crossing the Wabash River if I'm on my way to Terre Haute??" AND you found yourself on a bridge the other end of which had a big sign that said, "Welcome to Illinois." (This scenario is hypothetical and is presented for discussion purposes only.)

2e3d6b75-8fd8-499d-8ada-406d354b1a20_zps12d4e8ac.png

Kinda similar to what happened to Marine Sgt Andrew Tahmooressi driving out of San Ysidro, CA, on 31 March.

Fate of jailed Marine lies with unpredictable Mexican legal system | Fox News

Attachments

• 2e3d6b75-8fd8-499d-8ada-406d354b1a20_zps12d4e8ac.png
      2e3d6b75-8fd8-499d-8ada-406d354b1a20_zps12d4e8ac.png
      70.3 KB · Views: 6

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Unload the firearm, secure it as best as you can and get the hell out of Dodge as soon as you can.

You can have the weapons in IL, just not loaded and not quickly accessible. Not the same as going into Mexico, although I don't want to go back to either.

This would be my scenario as I am not from the area. If I lived closer I believe I would have a lock box or gun case in the vehicle at all times, just in case.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Actually, you can carry a loaded weapon in the car in Illinois now if you have an IN LTCH. Just do not exit the vehicle with it.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Yep, as of right now, it is legal to have a loaded gun in the vehicle in Ill, with a valid carry permit from any state. No checkpoints crossing the border yet, so no worries there.

As far as the Mexico border crossing, it is possible to get mixed up and not realize you are headed in that direction and not be able to turn around, but when traveling in that area, its a good idea to be extra cautious of where you are, and where you need to turn off. Worst case, stop the car along side the road, and figure out something to get yourself turned around. Looking like a fool doing something stupid on the hiway is far better than landing in a Mexican jail for not paying attention.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Actually, you can carry a loaded weapon in the car in Illinois now if you have an IN LTCH. Just do not exit the vehicle with it.

I guess I was just remembering the last time I purposely went to IL. I had to stop there and that is why I did the lock-up. If you don't plan on stopping then you are good to go, which is what this scenario depicted.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Isn't Mexico just north of Peru? But I didn't think it was on the Wabash...
    The fun of Indiana town names...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It was farther north, but I found myself accidentally in Illinois about 15 years ago. If you're driving on those county roads among the tall corn with no road markers in west central Indiana, it's easy to stray across the border.

Top Bottom