• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Here's what I found to be authentic Mexican food. When I was in Puerto Vallarta, each day I would get on the local bus and travel out to the farthest point it went then spend the day in that town. One day I was walking past the local school and all the kids came up to the fence yellow and green go gringo. A little farther down I came across a little place hamburguesa sign. I thought to myself well never had a hamburger in Mexico so I ordered one. To my surprise the lady walked out behind the counter across the street into the Carniceria across the street. She came back with a half pound of fresh ground hamburger and commence to cooking me one of the best hamburgers I ever had

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    On one of our scuba trips to cozumel the ex and I had gone with a different group. The guide took us to all the usual tourist traps for various meals and libations to the delight of the group. I got to speaking to him several days into the trip and asked him if he could take us to some of the local places instead of the places more closely related to Chi Chi's or some of the other large American Mexican Food chains.

He presented the idea to the group and only 3 couples were interested but the rest of the group said they were comfortable enough without him so the 3 couples and the guide ventured out into the local economy for various treats during the rest of the trip. On one occasion we were discussing lunch and he knew of a place so off we trekked. It was so local that nobody in the place spoke English except the dishwasher that ended up waiting on us.

On the table were various bottles of something, soup bowls and a bowl full of salt. The meal was great and started with chicken soup dipped out of a HUGE cauldron in the middle of the open air restaurant and include pork chops, fresh fruit, tortillas and beans etc. All for the lowly sum of $2/person.

It even included entertainment; when the soup was delivered I reached over for a little salt and the ex chided me "Don't over salt it". So we're sitting there enjoying everything about the place when I scooped into my bowl and pulled out a full CHICKEN FOOT. Nobody else had seen it and I didn't make a big deal of it but pushed the bowl away. Of course the ex started in about "I told you not to put too much salt in it". I told her that wasn't the case. She asked what was wrong with it and I responded nothing I'm sure, we requested authentic and that's what we got.

By this time pretty much everyone in the place is watching us as she grabbed the bowl and sampled it finally admitting that it wasn't over salted. After a couple of spoons full I finally grabbed her hand and dug into the bottom so she would extract the aforementioned chicken foot.

She screamed bloody murder when she saw it to which everybody in the place busted out laughing! Of course it was my fault as she was screaming at me that "YOU DID THAT ON PURPOSE"! I still laugh thinking about it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On one of our scuba trips to cozumel the ex and I had gone with a different group. The guide took us to all the usual tourist traps for various meals and libations to the delight of the group. I got to speaking to him several days into the trip and asked him if he could take us to some of the local places instead of the places more closely related to Chi Chi's or some of the other large American Mexican Food chains.

He presented the idea to the group and only 3 couples were interested but the rest of the group said they were comfortable enough without him so the 3 couples and the guide ventured out into the local economy for various treats during the rest of the trip. On one occasion we were discussing lunch and he knew of a place so off we trekked. It was so local that nobody in the place spoke English except the dishwasher that ended up waiting on us.

On the table were various bottles of something, soup bowls and a bowl full of salt. The meal was great and started with chicken soup dipped out of a HUGE cauldron in the middle of the open air restaurant and include pork chops, fresh fruit, tortillas and beans etc. All for the lowly sum of $2/person.

It even included entertainment; when the soup was delivered I reached over for a little salt and the ex chided me "Don't over salt it". So we're sitting there enjoying everything about the place when I scooped into my bowl and pulled out a full CHICKEN FOOT. Nobody else had seen it and I didn't make a big deal of it but pushed the bowl away. Of course the ex started in about "I told you not to put too much salt in it". I told her that wasn't the case. She asked what was wrong with it and I responded nothing I'm sure, we requested authentic and that's what we got.

By this time pretty much everyone in the place is watching us as she grabbed the bowl and sampled it finally admitting that it wasn't over salted. After a couple of spoons full I finally grabbed her hand and dug into the bottom so she would extract the aforementioned chicken foot.

She screamed bloody murder when she saw it to which everybody in the place busted out laughing! Of course it was my fault as she was screaming at me that "YOU DID THAT ON PURPOSE"! I still laugh thinking about it.
    And that is why she is an "X" instead of a current.....:):

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Here's what I found to be authentic Mexican food. When I was in Puerto Vallarta, each day I would get on the local bus and travel out to the farthest point it went then spend the day in that town. One day I was walking past the local school and all the kids came up to the fence yellow and green go gringo. A little farther down I came across a little place hamburguesa sign. I thought to myself well never had a hamburger in Mexico so I ordered one. To my surprise the lady walked out behind the counter across the street into the Carniceria across the street. She came back with a half pound of fresh ground hamburger and commence to cooking me one of the best hamburgers I ever had
    Like in Boca De Tomatlan?

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Azul Agave in Covington is pretty good. Sometimes there is a wait for the food if they are busy. But worth it. Make sure you tell them first time visitor and from out of county, and there is a discount.
    Haven’t been to that one in a while but there‘s at least 4-5 Azul Agave scattered around west central illiana.
    We were at the Attica one last week and I noticed a C grade from the health department, that’s not good

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    Can't remember the name of the place, but about a block east of 231 in downtown Crawfordsville, there is a Mexican grocery that has a "mini" restaurant inside. It is not your typical fare. The last time I was in there, it was mostly Spanish speaking day laborers eating in there.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    2 Amigos on Southeastern is a grocery store with a lunch counter. Good stuff.

Birrieria Ocotlan on southeastern is good, too, but if you don't speak Spanish it's difficult to communicate in there.

All (ok not ALL but a lot) the places with the gaudy chairs and same menu are just a front for the cartel to launder their drug money.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom