• ...and so much more!
  • Glocker99

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2020
    Westfield
    I have an 80% receiver that I buggered up the safety hole. I have drilled it out to 1/2" have fit a 1/2" alum. rod to replace the material that I removed. My question is how do I secure the rod in the hole, permanent Loctite, epoxy, JB weld, what would be best to use? I will route the excess out of the inside the receiver. Thanks for your help.

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    I have an 80% receiver that I buggered up the safety hole. I have drilled it out to 1/2" have fit a 1/2" alum. rod to replace the material that I removed. My question is how do I secure the rod in the hole, permanent Loctite, epoxy, JB weld, what would be best to use? I will route the excess out of the inside the receiver. Thanks for your help.
    Hmm, tough decision. If it were me, I would fixture a piece of stainless rod of the proper diameter through the safety hole, and MIG enough aluminum in to be able to machine it back to fit the safety. Lacking that, there are industrial adhesives even better than the choices you mentioned.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    I use permatex sleeve retaining liquid to install barrel liners. Resist heat to over 400 degrees. This would hold the sleeve well.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Hmm, tough decision. If it were me, I would fixture a piece of stainless rod of the proper diameter through the safety hole, and MIG enough aluminum in to be able to machine it back to fit the safety. Lacking that, there are industrial adhesives even better than the choices you mentioned.
    I'd use adhesives rather than ruin the heat treat and fill it with microcracks. I'd go with what jcj54 said

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I had that same problem early on in my "building" experience.
    I looked around and found an hollow aluminum tube of the proper diameter to fit the safety, I don't remember the exact size.
    After reaming the hole to fit the outside diameter of the tube, I JB Welded it in place and trimmed the outside flush.
    Make sure to remember to drill out the catch hole in the frame.
    It worked great and is still strong many rounds later.
    It can be done.
    Edit...
    I should add that the aluminum tube needs to be cut to only fit in the frame holes, not all the way through. It can be installed all the way through, but after setup, gets cut on the inside and trimmed on the outside of the frame so the safety will function properly.

Last edited:

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    So I had this happen on my ar9 for the trigger group when the bit broke.

Buy aluminum flux brazing rods off amazon and be very careful with the heat. Get a pocket torch. It worked perfect.

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso

Read the cases here tons of them. On the ATF site. Where the ATF has went after people which is insane.

It should be 100% legal according to our constitution. I can't find the exact letter the atf put out on the topic off hand. It is still an on gong fight in court with the ATF overstepping their power. Along with the pistol brace BS. I think it boils down to "intent" when making a firearm. Just not worth the risk.

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    You'll find a contingent here that would disagree with that. Thats probably the challenge - "source?"

I never have, but I do like to encourage the freedoms and the truths.
    If you just use the ATF website and read through articles you can make an informed decision in any firearms transaction. Risk vs reward. I personally disagree with the ATF and their actual existence! I was a felon for those few months with pistol braces.

Top Bottom