• ...and so much more!
  • jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    Looking for Medical Training

I have known for some time that I would like to increase my knowledge in the medical field. Today, that thought was pounded home once again. I have noticed that some of the training groups will offer a medical class on occasion. Is there somebody that you recommend contacting? I live in the N.E part of the state but am not opposed to traveling.

This morning I rounded the corner of my intersection to pull in the driveway. To my surprise I found a Geo Tracker laying on its side across from my driveway in the ditch and a Blazer in the field, both had obviously rolled to their final position. The driver of the tracker was crawling out of what was supposed to be the sunroof except it was much closer to the ground. The occupants of the blazer were not visible from where I stopped the truck. I jumped out of the truck grabbing my GHB( I keep some first aid supplies there) and confirmed with the first occupant that he was not in serious condition while calling 911 and heading to check on the other occupants. They were both exiting the blazer and did not appear to be seriously hurt. Everybody was lucky today. The driver of the tracker had cut his ear and those in the blazer were scraped up with a few cuts on their arms. The blazer blew the intersection and slammed into the Geo Tracker.

I acted with the best ability and knowledge I have.
    1) Called 911 while checking on occupants
    2) Supplied bandages. They were able to proved pressure to the cuts themselves.
    3) Convinced them with some verbal understanding, all 3 were in their late teens, to stop moving around and wait for paramedics. They could look over their vehicles later.

This time the situation worked out for the best, everybody was ok and the knowledge I do have worked out. I do not know what I would have done if somebody would of been trapped and severely injured except wait for help. I am not looking to become a paramedic, but want to make sure I can provide help when it's needed until better help can arrive.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    There are a lot of things to triage in your head, and making sure the scene is safe would be top priority before telling anyone not to move.

RandallX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    hamilton county
    im not sure what CLS (combat lifesaver) manuals are priced at these days but they make for interesting reads. the pdf's might even be free now with as often as they are updated.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    tagged for interest

I'd be especially interested in courses that go beyond classroom lecture into hands-on application using various gear and techniques.

jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    esrice, that is exactly what I am looking for. My personal style of learning is hands on. I can read every manual or book written on the subject and it just does not sink in. On the other hand I can perform the action 2-3 times and I have it.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    It's along way off and not to far of a drive. TDI offers a very good hands on Med class. When I took it 3 yrs ago it was taught by an active special operations Dr. He knew his stuff. They teach the TCCC format for currently deployed soldiers. I'm rusty on the skills now and may retake the class this winter. This class gave my the direction I needed to prioritize scenarios like the OP and to build my med. kit. Read up on the class on TDIohio.com.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    If there is enough interest, ACT can present some medical training. Need to start with some fundamentals as a baseline, as in the material you need as opposed to the "cool" stuff. We can take it as far as you care to go (within reason).

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Has anyone ever taken a class with Active Trauma Management (http://www.activetraumamanagement.com)? It seems that Ken Campbell had the guy teach a class, so he must be quality. From what I can tell of his website, it seems that his materials aren't just medical treatment, but they involve a security component. I'm guessing that's for saving your teammate when your team is potentially under fire from hostiles.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Tagged because I want more medical training!

Just like shooting and self-defense in general, I believe this is a skill that must be gained and maintained as it is perishable. With regards to medical knowledge I am at the stage where I need to gain skill to have confidence that what I am doing is effective.

Does anyone have recommendation on any good books? This is typically where I start.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If there is enough interest, ACT can present some medical training. Need to start with some fundamentals as a baseline, as in the material you need as opposed to the "cool" stuff. We can take it as far as you care to go (within reason).

And we can include a significant amount of "hands-on" practice if the students desire. For example, seeing someone use an IBD or watching a video is great, but actually applying one several times and to different body parts is better. Then doing it to yourself, sometimes with just with one hand, is even better than that.

Has anyone ever taken a class with Active Trauma Management (http://www.activetraumamanagement.com)? It seems that Ken Campbell had the guy teach a class, so he must be quality. From what I can tell of his website, it seems that his materials aren't just medical treatment, but they involve a security component. I'm guessing that's for saving your teammate when your team is potentially under fire from hostiles.

I haven't had his class, but I've known Bayan D for years and trained beside him several times. He's a good guy and he knows his trade well.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    If you have an interest in becoming IDHS certified as an Emergency Medical Responder or an EMT, I know that Ivy Tech provides these classes in their standard curriculum. I've been an EMR (formerly First Responder) for several years and been part of my company's Emergency Response Team. The information has been very helpful at work and in the public.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    If you have an interest in becoming IDHS certified as an Emergency Medical Responder or an EMT, I know that Ivy Tech provides these classes in their standard curriculum. I've been an EMR (formerly First Responder) for several years and been part of my company's Emergency Response Team. The information has been very helpful at work and in the public.
    Is this the same as their Basic EMT course?

3steps

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    NWI
    I recommend Frank Sharp's Tactical Medical class. Part one is a summery of what bullets do to the human body. The second part is focused on stopping blood loss, maintaining an open airway, and chest wounds. Third, there are airsoft exercises where you get to practice securing a scene and treating gunshot wounds is a stress simulated environment. I took the class two years ago and it helped me to be better prepared for all sorts of trauma situations. When a coworker was injured at work, I took charge of getting him help in a way that I do not think I would have before the training this class offered.

For more info email... info@fortressdefense.com or call (708) 522-8060

November 23, 2013 - Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds
    South Suburbs of Chicago
    $150
    9am-5pm
    Ages 16, and up. (Under 18 requires a parent or guardian in attendance)
    This is a non-live fire course - Airsoft equipment is used for the team/"live fire" drills.

Last edited:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I recommend Frank Sharp's Tactical Medical class. Part one is a summery of what bullets do to the human body. The second part is focused on stopping blood loss, maintaining an open airway, and chest wounds. Third, there are airsoft exercises where you get to practice securing a scene and treating gunshot wounds is a stress simulated environment. I took the class two years ago and it helped me to be better prepared for all sorts of trauma situations. When a coworker was injured at work, I took charge of getting him help in a way that I do not think I would have before the training this class offered.

South Suburbs of Chicago
    $150
    9am-5pm
    This is a non-live fire course - Airsoft equipment is used for the team/"live fire" drills.

Might even get "real life" events in Chicago...:D....thread jack over.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL

South Suburbs of Chicago
    $150
    9am-5pm

As stated, our next Tacmed class is on the 23rd of this month near Dyer, IN. Cost is $150. It takes place indoors.

info@fortressdefense.com
    708-522-8060

We still have some spaces left.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Just a thought...but have you considered obtaining your EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) Certification and becoming a volunteer EMT at one of your local EMS units in Wells County?

I was a Volunteer / Certified EMT for 21 years...soooooo much practical knowledge and experience in triaging acute injuries! Was also a Certified and Licensed Athletic Trainer for 21 years...which the EMT helped when it came to responding to acute, life-threatening, on-field injuries. Worth a couple of years experience to help you better triage and prioritize on-scene injuries in a mass-casualty situation! Well worth the time, effort, and $$! The experience will last a life-time!

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I would check with Wells Co EMS and Adams Co EMS and see if they have any EMT classes coming up. Going into the winter months it tends to be when services do these types of classes. You never know you might enjoy the training and job so much you end up as a Paramedic. Pretty sure that is the way it happened to me 20 some years ago. Believe me there are worse jobs out there.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    That's what happened to me. I started out as a First Responder w/ my plant's Emergency Response Team. Decided to get my EMT/B from my local hospital/fire department. Ended up as a volunteer with a local fire department. Then when my plant closed I went back to school and became an RN. It can be addictive.

Top Bottom