• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I saw a couple comments in threads today about people not knowing for how long their mechanical safeties did not work !
    I check mine every time I touch the weapon, doesn't everyone!:dunno:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Was the one post in question where the guy was shocked that his trigger moved as his safety was on?

If so - that's a non-issue. Lots of triggers move a considerable amount if/when the mechanical safety is on.

-J-

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Was the one post in question where the guy was shocked that his trigger moved as his safety was on?

If so - that's a non-issue. Lots of triggers move a considerable amount if/when the mechanical safety is on.

-J-
    One was for a long gun, he never knew it didn't work till he moved on to another gun. The other was for a pistol i believe, but checking them every time is the best way to know if they are functioning.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Check them like how? Put it on and pull the trigger? Flip it off and pull the trigger?

No, I don't do that.

I do, but only as a function check after a disassembly and cleaning. None of my carry guns have manual safeties, but I still verify the striker block plunger is functioning properly.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I do, but only as a function check after a disassembly and cleaning. None of my carry guns have manual safeties, but I still verify the striker block plunger is functioning properly.

After stripping and re-assembling, that only makes sense, but I don't do it on a daily basis.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Check them like how? Put it on and pull the trigger? Flip it off and pull the trigger?

No, I don't do that.

I had a Ruger 10/22 that if you did this, it would fire when you flipped the safety to the fire position. If you pulled the trigger in the safe position, it would unseat the hammer from the sear, so as soon as you released the safety, it released the hammer. Because of this I never release a safety with on a loaded firearm unless it is pointed down range at a firing range.

Franchi also had problems with the lever safety on their dino-killer SPAS-12. Regardless as to what you did to the trigger, flipping the safety from the safe to fire position could release the hammer and if there was a round chambered, that shottie better have been pointed down range. They did issue a recall on them to fix it.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I posted about the pistol.

It was a Taurus PT-22 (the old steel version). With the safety engaged, the trigger would move all the way to the end of travel, the hammer would retract and then fall with a click (same as with safety disengaged). After repair, the trigger would pull back about 1/4", the hammer would slightly retract and then return when the trigger was released, no click. It was definitely a failure of the mechanical safety.

At the time it had never occured to me that the safety would just stop working. It seemed like a pretty simple device and I was used to safeties on rifles where you slide a pin and it blocks the trigger. I now perform a function check as part of cleaning. They can and will fail without any warning.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    I posted about the pistol.

It was a Taurus PT-22 (the old steel version). With the safety engaged, the trigger would move all the way to the end of travel, the hammer would retract and then fall with a click (same as with safety disengaged). After repair, the trigger would pull back about 1/4", the hammer would slightly retract and then return when the trigger was released, no click. It was definitely a failure of the mechanical safety.

At the time it had never occured to me that the safety would just stop working. It seemed like a pretty simple device and I was used to safeties on rifles where you slide a pin and it blocks the trigger. I now perform a function check as part of cleaning. They can and will fail without any warning.

Interesting. Wife has one and I carry it sometimes, but neither of us have ever checked the safety. It's just loaded with one in the spout, safety in 'Fire' position.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I had a Ruger 10/22 that if you did this, it would fire when you flipped the safety to the fire position. If you pulled the trigger in the safe position, it would unseat the hammer from the sear, so as soon as you released the safety, it released the hammer. Because of this I never release a safety with on a loaded firearm unless it is pointed down range at a firing range.

Franchi also had problems with the lever safety on their dino-killer SPAS-12. Regardless as to what you did to the trigger, flipping the safety from the safe to fire position could release the hammer and if there was a round chambered, that shottie better have been pointed down range. They did issue a recall on them to fix it.

Holy crap!

What was up with the 10/22? Did it have any aftermarket parts or alterations?

Top Bottom