• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Except when the parents destroy their children.

At what point does a society intervene? Never? When the vaccines are just administered? When there is an outbreak? When the child is ill? When the child dies?

When do we a society take action against the parents?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You may wish people would listen to reason, but where do you draw the line with interventions? Parents smoking around their children is a health risk, too. Gonna make them stop? Smoking has already come under a lot of restrictions. Are you ok with that? What if they don't make them wear helmets when they ride their bikes? And what are the penalties going to be? Gulag? Parents in other countries don't all meet our standards. Should we invade them and enforce? I'm thinkin this could get a lot uglier than a measles outbreak. Sometimes things suck, and people suck, but there are things worse than measles.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My kids cannot catch head injuries from that kid without the helmet. My kids cannot catch COPD from that kid that is around the smoking parents.

Sometimes things suck, and people suck, but there are things worse than measles.

Falling off your bicycle is one thing, but dying from the measles is another.

Do we allow kids to die for the political position of the parents?:dunno:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My kids cannot catch head injuries from that kid without the helmet. My kids cannot catch COPD from that kid that is around the smoking parents.

YES! It is called freedom and parental responsibility/choice. If I have my children vaccinated, there is no danger to my child. So, the risk is all on the parent and child who choose not to follow society's norms.

If a child is being physically or sexually abused, I would intervene.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If there is an increase, unvaccinated kids should stay at home. And the parents should go play with some Hep B infested poo.

Yeah, there's a vaccine for that too...but you know, they didn't vaccinate their kids...

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If your kids are vaccinated, they won't catch measles either. You want to protect everybody's kids? Adopt them.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    "Your child might get measles and do well. But if you are the one who brings measles back into the community and your child infects someone else in the classroom who can't be vaccinated because of being immunocompromised, you might be responsible for the death of another child or an infant who can't be vaccinated," he said.

is this your right also? If a child dies of complications of measles, (immune system not functioning well, old vax, poorly made vax...) shouldn't you be held accountable? Aren't you going to stand up and say it was your decision and you will take the consequences?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    There's a thing called herd immunity. If a large enough portion of the population is vaccinated the the overall risk is decreased. Non- vaccinations make it worse. Not necessarily for those who are vaccinated, but for others who may not be and are high risk.

I understand some may not "believe" in vaccination, but the science is there to prove that its safe for most. Unless you are trulyvat risk from the vaccine, it's rather dumd not to or to deny vaccination to your kids.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    My kids cannot catch head injuries from that kid without the helmet. My kids cannot catch COPD from that kid that is around the smoking parents

Hmmm, well, I don't know about invading other countries, or enforcing a national governmental standard, or anything else mentioned is a good way to go. To me it was just a matter of personal choice.

We prefer that our daughter NOT get sick, she already has a low enough immune system, and is fighting bronchitis that she got from a coworker (don't get me started on THAT subject...it's one of my pet "soap box" peeves) and as usual has passed it along to me, and my immune system isn't the greatest either. We've both been battling it for about 2 months now. Trying to avoid having it go into Pneumonia as it sometimes does.

I had her vaccinated against ALL of the childhood diseases that are out there, and for her new job, she had to get the Hepatitis B vaccine. She works in the Health Care field now, and 1) can't afford to get sick herself, and 2) her patients can't afford to get sick either. The only vaccine that they'd not come out with back then was the one for "Chicken Pox" and I exposed her to that, just to get it out of the way. Having grown up in the 50's, they didn't have any vaccines back then, and I had almost every childhood disease there is. Well, except the new one that reared it's ugly head sometime in 91, called "Fifth's Disease", or "Slapped Hand Disease" because that's what the rash looks like.

I had mumps, measles (both kinds) chicken pox, and all the ones that were around back then, except Pertussis, which fortunately I was never exposed to. I even have the little scar from the Polio Vaccine, that was given back then by the SubQ prick . Personally, remembering how miserable I was one entire summer (yea, I got them back to back) and all the icky meds I had to take because of being sick, I decided not to put her thru that, and she had no complications from any of the shots she got.

I don't know how long "Fifths Disease" has been around, but when she had it, she had the full rash and a fever of 105, enough so that I brought her into the ER one night because I couldn't get her fever to drop to a safer level. Also, it's contagious, and even adults can get it. I was the only one of our group of friends who hung around at our house most of the time, that didn't get it. It was miserable for her, and I'm glad she didn't have to go thru the other ones as well.

She's also had Mono TWICE, and I wasn't aware that you could get that more than once. Apparently I was wrong. Thankfully I didn't get it, even tho I was her caregiver when she had it, I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with how old I am.

I believe in vaccinating kids against the bugs out there, altho granted there are complications that can arise from getting vaccinated, but they're not that prevalent, and back when she was getting the vaccines, they weren't really known, or at least broadcasted about. As I said, my sole intention was to prevent her from getting sick, not cause her to have complications from it.

Now they're recommending booster shots for several of the diseases, Rubella being one, even tho you'd been vaccinated as a child, (however off the top of our heads we can't remember which other ones) to prevent you from getting them now. I do know that if you haven't had Chicken Pox, or had an extremely light case of it, you're more likely to acquire Scabies as an adult, as it's the same virus, albeit a bit different. Chicken Pox, Scabies, and some of the lighter STD's are classed the in the same virus category, that being the Herpes Simplex 1, strains that aren't generally broadcast about, even if you do get cold sores in the winter. Versions 2 and 3 are more likely STD's, and no known cure or vaccine is available. Altho they have come up with meds to either try and prevent them, or at least lighten the symptoms. One example is the OTC cream Abreva.

Back to the original topic (sorry, my medical wandering got a bit lengthy because of my beliefs and experience) at least we don't have to worry about any of us getting measles, and since we don't have grandchildren yet, that's not a worry either. When/if we do, they'll be vaccinated as well, mostly because our daughter is getting a very similar education in the medical background we have. We've researched it, and she's in the process of doing so now, as a qualification for her job. It's my own opinion that the kids need to be vaccinated, but I would never force that opinion on anyone else. They're not my kids, and it's not my decision to make. However making it a governmental mandate is in my opinion wrong. We won't stand for anyone telling us how to raise our child, or for that matter, how she should raise our grandchild(ren) as well. We'll give her our views on it, but the decision is solely hers.
    :twocents:

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If your kids are vaccinated, they won't catch measles either. You want to protect everybody's kids? Adopt them.
    Not quite true. There's been an outbreak in Europe in the last few months and a significant number of the kids that have contracted measles have been vaccinated. Vaccines can mitigate the disease, but are not a guarantee of immunity. That said, my kids have been vaccinated and have had their boosters, but we know that there's still a chance that they can come down with almost any illness they're vaccinated against. My SIL was vaccinated and still managed to catch measles twice when she was a kid. This latest outbreak, in the US and Europe is rightly being laid at the feet of vaccine refusers. It's all Wakefield's fault.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    :) I had chicken pox when I was 14 and it was pretty awesome. It was late spring, I slept 23 hours a day for three days, then I was out of school for a week, while the teenage girl at the backdoor neighbor's was out sunbathing every day. I'd do it again. And again...

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    "Your child might get measles and do well. But if you are the one who brings measles back into the community and your child infects someone else in the classroom who can't be vaccinated because of being immunocompromised, you might be responsible for the death of another child or an infant who can't be vaccinated," he said.

is this your right also? If a child dies of complications of measles, (immune system not functioning well, old vax, poorly made vax...) shouldn't you be held accountable? Aren't you going to stand up and say it was your decision and you will take the consequences?

There was an episode of Law & Order/SVU that centered on that. A mother hadn't had her child immunized, and when he contracted the disease (I can't remember which one, I think it was measles) another child in his class caught it and died from it. They tried to hold the mom for "involuntary manslaughter" because of her not getting her son vaccinated. But I don't remember the end, whether she was or wasn't convicted.

I do agree with some of the posts on here, if YOUR child gets sick, for heavens sake KEEP HIM/HER HOME!! Deal with it yourself, or have your Dr do it, but DON'T expose an entire class of other peoples children who may or may NOT have been vaccinated as well. At least keep them home until they're past the contagion stage, same goes for an adult in the work place. If you're sick, stay home instead of getting the entire office or place of employment sick as well. Same goes for the servers in restaurants, the last thing I want is someone delivering my food, after having hacked up a lung while bringing it to me. I won't eat it at that point, it's not safe.

Unfortunately most employers don't share the same view I do. Their employees are forced to either stay home, deal with it and get well, then be fired because they did. Or show up, and infect everyone they're around, other employees AND customers alike. That to me is unfair, and STUPID!

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    SO if the vaccine your kids got may or may not work how do you even lay an outbreak at the hands of those that were not vaccinated? Maybe it was one of those illegal aliens that brought it around and the vaccinated kid was the first one to get it. Who the hell knows?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    SO if the vaccine your kids got may or may not work how do you even lay an outbreak at the hands of those that were not vaccinated? Maybe it was one of those illegal aliens that brought it around and the vaccinated kid was the first one to get it. Who the hell knows?
    One of the first things they do in an outbreak is try to trace the disease back, to find the point of origin, Patient Zero. In almost every outbreak they can trace it back to an unvaccinated person. In an outbreak in San Diego they traced it back to a kid who was unvaccinated and exposed during a trip to Europe. Vaccines aren't a 100% guarantee against disease, but, at the least they can mitigate the disease if you do manage to catch it.

Measles Outbreak Triggered by Unvaccinated Child - US News and World Report

Top Bottom