• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This is a big part of why I'm getting out of my current job soon. Tired as hell of 60 hour weeks, being up all night, leaving work and having to be back in 8 hours, double shifts every holiday, double shifts every Saturday, being on call 24/7/365, missing everything, not having a life outside of work except sleeping and trying to recover in time for more work. Just over it.

My reward for all that was being told a few months ago that I'd be eating a 2/3s pay cut. Then they tried to "save" me with an offer for a more regular schedule, at lower pay with a lot more work and responsibility. Said thanks but no thanks. Coworkers are all angry that their reliable hard-worker buddy is going away. Sorry y'all, been killing myself at this job for almost five years and I have nothing to show for it but subpar offers of pay cuts. Good freakin' luck finding someone else who will take that deal. :dunno:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    This is a big part of why I'm getting out of my current job soon. Tired as hell of 60 hour weeks, being up all night, leaving work and having to be back in 8 hours, double shifts every holiday, double shifts every Saturday, being on call 24/7/365, missing everything, not having a life outside of work except sleeping and trying to recover in time for more work. Just over it.

My reward for all that was being told a few months ago that I'd be eating a 2/3s pay cut. Then they tried to "save" me with an offer for a more regular schedule, at lower pay with a lot more work and responsibility. Said thanks but no thanks. Coworkers are all angry that their reliable hard-worker buddy is going away. Sorry y'all, been killing myself at this job for almost five years and I have nothing to show for it but subpar offers of pay cuts. Good freakin' luck finding someone else who will take that deal. :dunno:

Sounds like management is a little short sighted, or penny-wise, pound foolish.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I could write so much right now, but I won’t. All I will write is that I doubt I’ll work 40 hours a week for anyone ever again for the rest of my life.
    I think I may understand how you are feeling. I had quite a soliloquy written and then I deleted it. I could say a lot.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I am right on the edge of deciding if I will retire soon. Hit 60 with 40 years total time on the job. If I stay two more years, it bumps up my retirement pay by 5k a year. If I leave, I no longer have to deal with daily drama and weekend shifts. It is not the way I planned to retire, but the well is running dry.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I am right on the edge of deciding if I will retire soon. Hit 60 with 40 years total time on the job. If I stay two more years, it bumps up my retirement pay by 5k a year. If I leave, I no longer have to deal with daily drama and weekend shifts. It is not the way I planned to retire, but the well is running dry.
    I'm right there with you, just two years younger. I hope to be out of it by this time next year. The question is - will I actually do it?

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    My opinion is to each their own. Few years ago I had heart attacks that led to triple by pass surgery. I took two weeks off for surgery and rest. I still work 40 + hours a week cause, that is what I do. If that type of schedule is not your thing, so be it.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Sounds like management is a little short sighted, or penny-wise, pound foolish.
    Well, you're only hearing my whiny side of the story.

But from the stuff they throw money at like it's candy around here, it's pretty crazy that they weren't willing to put up even a little money to keep an employee everyone seems to think is great.

Oh, well. About had it with this town anyway. Learned everything I'm gonna learn from this job. Time for a new start.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Reminds of the other day driving into the nearest town and discussing pants versus kilts with the better 2/3's. This song came up in conversation...
    :)

Top Bottom