• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So been doing some research after my new to me STI 1911. Historically I have utilized oil but lately I am running across several articles that are recommending grease instead of oil. I have already discarded the articles that recommend minimal if any oil. So what is your preference?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    So many choices it is like choosing a personal lubricant.

I like A thin layer of white lithium grease on the slide and guide rod /spring.
    Temperature can make some grease less well greasy. Can effect oil also. In modern grease and oil you would be talking artic temps to make the grease ineffective.

Normally use it on my auto rifles also. It can catch powder residue in dirty 22 rounds like remington golden bullets. I have not seen this in my auto pistols.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am a grease guy also. I use the grease made for variable pitch props in airplanes.

I use it on all my military stuff like Garands and 1911s.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    CM told me to grease the slide.
    You should grease anything that slides with a light grease like Black Rifle Balm. Grease top and side of rails, disconnect and disco slide. Use thick synthetic motor oil on pivot points and friction points. You want good oil that will stick. Grease will hold in contaminates. Oil will spread them out so clean and lube after a few hundred rounds.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    CM told me to grease the slide.
    You should grease anything that slides with a light grease like Black Rifle Balm. Grease top and side of rails, disconnect and disco slide. Use thick synthetic motor oil on pivot points and friction points. You want good oil that will stick. Grease will hold in contaminates. Oil will spread them out so clean and lube after a few hundred rounds.
    I Believe black rifle balm had put out a very extensive article that made a lot of good points for a quality grease versus oil. Knowing the Mouse recommended it gives it a high degree of credibility.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I Believe black rifle balm had put out a very extensive article that made a lot of good points for a quality grease versus oil. Knowing the Mouse recommended it gives it a high degree of credibility.
    I don't know what grease he used.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    You grease guys: how does your grease stay slick enough to not interfere with operation?

Every grease I've encountered will be OK immediately after application, but completely fouled and nearly gummy after just a couple of magazines.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    You grease guys: how does your grease stay slick enough to not interfere with operation?

Every grease I've encountered will be OK immediately after application, but completely fouled and nearly gummy after just a couple of magazines.
    Light grease. Heavy grease will absorb energy needed to cycle, especially when cold. Heavy silicone and anti seize is better than not having anything, but the lighter the better. Only on things that slide. Heavy molecular bonding oil on friction points, and lots of it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

You can't get past it. Grease is going to collect and hold the contaminants. The good news is it is still lubricating if you use an EP grease.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Light grease. Heavy grease will absorb energy needed to cycle, especially when cold. Heavy silicone and anti seize is better than not having anything, but the lighter the better. Only on things that slide. Heavy molecular bonding oil on friction points, and lots of it.
    I'm not sure the reason you have anti seize and grease in a different category.

Top Bottom