Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Look closer. Same idea, but two different manufactures. One is by SB Tactical and the other by Maxim.

At first look, the clamping mechanisms are different.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    AFAIK the Maxim one uses a proprietary buffer system (the same one they use in their PDW stocks) and the SB tactical one uses standard buffers and springs.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have the maxim. I think I paid around 420 or so. It's very short. Shorter than the other version which just basicly uses a standard length tube and standard buffer. No offense meant to anyone who has one of those but for me I didn't see the point of that system other than looks, because it isn't really any shorter than a regular stock or it didn't seem to be wjen I was reviewing which one to buy.
    The maxim has a shorter tube and a shortened buffer weight and spring. So it truly does shorten the firearm. I've had Zero issues with it both suppressed and unsuppressed and it makes for a very very compact package. This is my 7.5" troy industries AR pistol with the maxim brace and the rail has been milled out in front to accommodate my sandmanL suppressor. It's fun.
    FP55uKy.jpg

a5vbjOU.jpg

Last edited:

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    thanks trigger, that's the info I was looking for. I think I'll just save up a little more cabbage and get the Maxim. I'm a believer in buy once cry once. The other looks good and provides adjustability, but why not get all you can out of it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The benefit to the SB PDW is the adjustable length (compared to other braces) and the use of a standard spring/buffer. The Maxim is a different beast altogether. While I like the idea of getting the rifle as short as possible, I'm wary of non standard buffer/spring/BCG setups and I avoid proprietary parts if at all possible.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Good points to consider. It would be nice to be able to hold both for comparison.
    The benefit to the SB PDW is the adjustable length (compared to other braces) and the use of a standard spring/buffer. The Maxim is a different beast altogether. While I like the idea of getting the rifle as short as possible, I'm wary of non standard buffer/spring/BCG setups and I avoid proprietary parts if at all possible.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

True and if this was originally for self defense I might have followed your good logic, but it's just a toy, or started out as one. I've put a lot of rounds through this one and now id have no worries grabbing it for self defense if it was next to me. Likely not gonna happen but if it did.
    Whatever you decide to go with just run it and run it hard and get it HOT and dirty. That's when guns become hero's or zeros.

If anyone needs a Maxim brace, I believe beech grove firearms has some in stock

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Looks like the Maxim offer the ability to drop the brace and add an actual stock later down the road. That's a pretty nice feature for those who are starting with a pistol and waiting for a stamp to go SBR.

Top Bottom