• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Is it me or do these devastating wildfires always seem to happen in democratic states.

Its a shame Maui is so far away from a large source of water or they could utilize the following to fight it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    High density flammable housing in brushy areas that combined with very high winds create the conditions, much like CA. At the end of the day states will just have to reduce density in those areas or change codes to use more fire resistant construction. I understand everyone loves the weather, and wants to live in "paradise", so I don't see any changes as long as the right people are making big money with things being the way they are.

I wonder who is paying the three law firms to sue the electric company?

Always follow the money

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Maui actually had restrictions on density, size etc for building codes. The main problem was a small fire fed by hurricane winds coming in off the coast. The fire was moving so fast people had no chance to save much and their egress was limited to either hopping into the ocean or trying to outrun the fire on the only real road on that side of the island. We can blame politics all you want, but that's not the cause here.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    another "wild" fire,this one stopped.

"
    Detectives determined that an unattended cooking fire started one of the fires.

The second fire "may"(*because, incendiary devices may not be to blame?) have been intentionally set as investigators found an incendiary device on the roadway where they believe the fire started.

Both fires were extinguished by fire personnel.

The investigation found that just after the fires began, a male operating a green All-Terrain Vehicle was seen leaving the area of Mill Camp Road. His identity is currently unknown.

According to police, the fires in Pahala are not related to the fires in the North and South Kohala Districts. The cause of those fires is undetermined."

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    My guess is they have the same problem as CA, they refuse to do what's needed to clean out the underbrush and instead let "nature take it's course" or something. Morons.
    They both interfere with “nature taking its course” by stopping natural wildfires, AND refusing to clear the underbrush by other means. So they are kinda correct, West Coast fire disasters are human-caused — and pinko libs are the cause.
    Morons all around.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Maui actually had restrictions on density, size etc for building codes. The main problem was a small fire fed by hurricane winds coming in off the coast. The fire was moving so fast people had no chance to save much and their egress was limited to either hopping into the ocean or trying to outrun the fire on the only real road on that side of the island. We can blame politics all you want, but that's not the cause here.
    iKKR7HK.jpg

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is my understanding, all politics aside this would be a horrific situation to be trapped in with your family.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    This is my understanding, all politics aside this would be a horrific situation to be trapped in with your family.
    We honeymooned there in 2002. The before photos of the banyan tree from the ocean, you can see a couple of "X" shaped buildings. That was the hotel we stayed at (Lahaina Outrigger IIRC). There's one main ring road running through there that runs north/south there. West is the ocean, east is the mountain. Something like a wild fire being fed by hurricane force winds from a passing hurricane would be absolutely terrifying. There's no where to go. Just hope and pray that 2 lane highway isn't clogged with cars.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I don't know how that are doing things in Hawaii but I worked a training fire/prescribed burn with canadian and Cali wildland guys that are just blown away when you talk about prescribed burns and other prevention methods. The Canadians were straight up ready to fight over it. Arizona guys were cool as hell they just wanted to burn everything lol. I haven't kept up with the fire on maui but maybe they aren't being very good stewards.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    We honeymooned there in 2002. The before photos of the banyan tree from the ocean, you can see a couple of "X" shaped buildings. That was the hotel we stayed at (Lahaina Outrigger IIRC). There's one main ring road running through there that runs north/south there. West is the ocean, east is the mountain. Something like a wild fire being fed by hurricane force winds from a passing hurricane would be absolutely terrifying. There's no where to go. Just hope and pray that 2 lane highway isn't clogged with cars.
    I was there for Christmas- NYE in 1981, We stayed at the Hyatt on the ocean and had NYE dinner at the Lahaina Yacht Club. As I recall there was not a lot in Lahaina at that time.
    We spent a day driving around the island on the one lane rd that covered maybe 3/4 of the island.
    I still have a shirt I bought on the main island the morning we were flying home.

thumbnail5566.jpg

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    A whole lot of these people don't even have cars. Typical island life, not much reason to. The emergency sirens failed but frankly it sounds like it wouldn't have mattered when they were essentially driven into the sea by wind-blown fire. Tropical climate buildings burn like tinder. That's a real worst case to be caught in.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom