• ...and so much more!
  • MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Can you "over-pull" from a tree? Or does it stop before that point for self-preservation.

It's kind of macabre, but reading this yesterday I started thinking of maple syrup as "tree blood". (Yes, I know, I have issues.)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Can you "over-pull" from a tree? Or does it stop before that point for self-preservation.

It's kind of macabre, but reading this yesterday I started thinking of maple syrup as "tree blood". (Yes, I know, I have issues.)
    If you overtap you do weaken the tree making it less vigorous and more susceptible to insects and disease. That's why you don't want to make too many taps for the size of the tree. 2-3 is the most for large trees. One on a smaller (8" diameter breast height) would be too many, but sometimes I tap that tree anyway because I know I'll be taking it down eventually, or to hinder its growth over some other more valuable tree. It's not tree blood, but stored food. More like taking a few nuts the squirrel spent all Fall stashing away.

I just finished putting in all of my taps for the season. I put in 62 taps today making my total 189 taps. The hardest part was running all new lines for this expansion. But today I collected about 40 gallons of sap already. The next few days are going to be busy!

decalguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    I was just wondering what part of the state you are in if you are tapping already. I'm up in lake county, far NW corner. It's still too cold here.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So.... made my first syrup today a tiny amount compared to you guys it is the best tasting syrup I have ever had. Even buying “the good stuff” can I store it at room temp?

Attachments

• 5D565329-FE61-4964-B537-CAB77A320777.jpeg
      5D565329-FE61-4964-B537-CAB77A320777.jpeg
      1.6 MB · Views: 7

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    So.... made my first syrup today a tiny amount compared to you guys it is the best tasting syrup I have ever had. Even buying “the good stuff” can I store it at room temp?
    For a short period of time. More than a few days, store it in the fridge. If you get a little mold on it, heat it back up to near boiling, skim off the top, and you are good to go.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Thanks guys what canning procedure do you guys use to seal the jars? Will most likely can in half pints for my tiny amounts I will be getting. My trees are tiny not like the ones you guys are tapping

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Pack it in mason jars with new lids at greater than 190f, or immerse the sealed jars in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes or more.
    We just pack ours hot from the boiling process and leave it at that. Make extra sure the rims are clean. All of our 2020 crop sealed properly. Like you say, the few that have molded in the past are just skimmed, reboiled and repacked.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    We just pack ours hot from the boiling process and leave it at that. Make extra sure the rims are clean. All of our 2020 crop sealed properly. Like you say, the few that have molded in the past are just skimmed, reboiled and repacked.
    I hot pack what we keep on inventory to sell in the short term. Our longer term storage gets hot packed -and- the water bath. I found some from 2013 that were still perfect.

Top Bottom