• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The Federal Government thinks it can impose its will worldwide.

NC Man Banned From Hunting Worldwide In Plea Deal
    A North Carolina man who bagged a deer and a bobcat in Kentucky without getting the proper permits has found himself banned from hunting anywhere in the world for two years. Rodney Poteat of was sentenced in federal court in Kentucky last week after pleading guilty to charges of killing the deer and bobcat and transporting them to his home in Salisbury, N.C., in the western part of the state. He didn't get a permit required of non-residents or report the kills.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kinda ridiculous? Yes. But this technically is a plea deal, meaning that defendant acknowledged that he would abide by it so that the judge wouldn't gve him the FULL sentence. If he ddn't think t was fair, he could have rejected the offer. Now if teh judge had tried to impose a worldwide ban then, THAT would be an issue.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I loath a poacher. But yeah, how does USF&W prevent him from hunting abroad - unless his probation prevents him from leaving the country.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    The Federal Government thinks it can impose its will worldwide.

The US has been trying to impose its will worldwide, for sure, otherwise we wouldn't be called a superpower. But I'm not sure whether this case is a good example.

The quote below makes me think it's the case of a bizarre judge:

The plea deal cost him $5,350 and two years' probation, during which "the defendant shall be prohibited from hunting or accompanying anyone hunting anywhere in the world," reads the judge's order, which was first reported by The Salisbury Post.

How is such an order enforcible? The rest of the article suggests to me that this order is at variance with laws governing hunting, to an alarming degree.

If anything, I'd say this case has a judge overstepping his boundaries to dominate and control the defendant in a way that is probably not backed up by law.

Da Bing

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The US has been trying to impose its will worldwide, for sure, otherwise we wouldn't be called a superpower. But I'm not sure whether this case is a good example.

The quote below makes me think it's the case of a bizarre judge:

How is such an order enforcible? The rest of the article suggests to me that this order is at variance with laws governing hunting, to an alarming degree.

If anything, I'd say this case has a judge overstepping his boundaries to dominate and control the defendant in a way that is probably not backed up by law.

Da Bing

Fed probation has the ability to restrict travel and notify foreign govts to have the supervise. It's a safe bet, that if he's allowed to travel (which I would doubt), it would be a big pain.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I have no love lost here. He broke laws, he was charged, he accepted a plea, live with it. When I was younger, I had some "youthful indesgressions". My plea deal included probation and no alcohol in the house. I lived with it. He can live with his.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Fed probation has the ability to restrict travel and notify foreign govts to have the supervise. It's a safe bet, that if he's allowed to travel (which I would doubt), it would be a big pain.

How effective is foreign government supervision in such a situation? It seems that if the judge really wants to prevent the defendant from traveling, he would just confiscate his passport, rather than leaving a foreign authority to decide whether to grant him a visa (probably the surest way to prevent him from hunting in their country), and (if they give him a visa) how to supervise him. Of course, the article didn't mention anything like this.

Da Bing

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How effective is foreign government supervision in such a situation? It seems that if the judge really wants to prevent the defendant from traveling, he would just confiscate his passport, rather than leaving a foreign authority to decide whether to grant him a visa (probably the surest way to prevent him from hunting in their country), and (if they give him a visa) how to supervise him. Of course, the article didn't mention anything like this.

Da Bing

Honestly, I've never seen it happen (I imagine because no one want to put their a$$ on the line). I just know, in theory, it can fall to the host nation (which would have to approve it prior to travel), or, they simply aren't contacted and the embassy/consulate is given notice.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I can't say that I really take issue with the plea deal. He was allowed a lesser punishment and he agreed to the terms presented. Sounds something like a contract to me. If he felt his rights were violated by it, he certainly didn't have to accept the contract.

On the other hand, was he hunting on publicly owned land or privately? I certainly have a problem with government controls of hunting on private property.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    The Judge is short-sighted. All the guy needs to do is build a spaceship and he'll be hunting aliens in no time. As far as I know, "the world" only refers to Earth.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    What's on the backside of the arrangement, lets say a pic shows up of him bagging a Zebra in Antarctica, does he get U.S. Jail time and loose his US hunting privileges for ever instead of just 2 yrs? That I can understand.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Typically violation of probation received as a plea deal has as a consequence the possibility for the prosecution to seek full prosecution of the original charges as well as whatever new charges are added.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Typically violation of probation received as a plea deal has as a consequence the possibility for the prosecution to seek full prosecution of the original charges as well as whatever new charges are added.
    I always thought it meant part or all of the suspended portion of the original sentence could be imposed in addition to possible new charges.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I was amused by the image of a hunter suddenly getting jumped in the backwoods of Kenya or somewhere by a bunch of Federal agents.

Top Bottom