• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    So, I'm a bit of a sucker for a bargain which often leads me to undertake more projects than I should, but when you run across 30 sheets of inch and a half poly iso-insulation for a total of 75 bucks, you don't just turn down that 75% off discount.

Fast forward to this evening when I am in the process of putting up the last sheet in the back corner of the pole barn ceiling. All the sheets are hung, but I like to spray foam the gap's from the top side. At one point earlier in the day, I had thought this through on the last sheet and had decided that foaming it from the bottom would be prudent, especially since it is getting a coat of andeck fire guard anyway. Unfortunately I had forgotten this prudent decision.

To this end I had laid out a piece of lumber across the trusses so that I could climb up and foam that last sheet. All the other sheets could be done from the ladder. I succeeded in filling the far gaps, but as I shifted to extricate myself I managed to bring the piece of lumber with me and the end of it off the truss. I then went headfirst 8 feet to the ground, with a brief encounter with my workbench along the way.

Fortunately, I had cleared most everything off the workbench, so I didn't impale myself or anything but pretty much everything hurts and I have a fabulous collection of bruises and scrapes. There was a inch and a quarter drywall nail sticking out of a piece of lath that I had started to hang, which was bent approximately 15° as my belly flab caught it. I also tore a S hook out of my pegboard with my left butt cheek.

Some takeaways:

When you decide to do something the safe and prudent way, you should probably take your own advice.

A sheet of inch and a half poly iso-makes a 210 pound body riding an 8 foot headfirst fall much more pleasant.

It is possible to feel like you have disemboweled yourself, without actually disemboweling yourself.

When you are nearing the end of the project, but are starting to get tired, just be willing to put it aside.

KszlfM.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The fall in itself is not all that bad. The sudden changes in direction and the abrupt stop at the end suck badly. How do I know this.....:):

Glad you did not damage yourself worse. Let us know how you feel tomorrow.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Oh, and definitely do wear safety glasses when using spray foam. I had a huge glob stuck to my lens and eyebrow, as well as some in my hair when I landed. I probably would be in the ER having them dissolve it and half blind but for the glasses. As it is, I just lost some eyebrow and hair.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thanks much! I would post up a picture of my damaged rippling abs and steely buns, but I wouldn't want the ladies on here getting too bothered and my wife getting jealous.

No one wanted to see my bloody toilet pics either. :)

Man, I'm glad you came out all right (relatively).
    As was previously mentioned, that could have been deadly.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Glad you are ok. Take it easy for a few days. You are going to be sore tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    OMG. Glad you are ok.

I watched my boss fall about 5ft off a ladder and compression fracture his wrist. He had to get rods, pins and brackets from his finger tips to his elbow. I can still hear the crack sound as he landed.

You are lucky!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Remember when you left the house as a child and your mother would shout, "Careful!" at your back as you flew out the door for some daring do?

This is what she was worried about. Hope you can move this morning.
    Caught my belly on a nail one day as a kid going over a wood fence. Still have the scar.

Top Bottom