• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Drunk, hanging out outside someone else's house at night... and he raised a small, pistol-gripped object up and aimed like it was a gun. At police officers.

Does the family have a right to be angry? Maybe. None of them were there, so they don't really know what actually happened.

Had I been walking down that street and he pointed that thing at me, would I have likely thought he was trying to shoot me? Probably. And I probably would have responded the same way the officers did.

This situation sucks, but you have to look at it from the other side before passing judgment. :twocents:

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Drunk, hanging out outside someone else's house at night...

4:40pm is not night time in California.

The title of this video is misleading, he was not watering the yard and it wasn't attached to a garden hose.

I don't blame the police in this, they responded to man playing with a gun call in the city and responded. Sucks for the dead guy, but he should not have pointed anything that even closely resembles a gun at a cop.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    "He raised it at me," could also be a nifty way to justify a bad shoot.

This happened out in gun-hating California. They don't really understand the concept that not all people with guns are bad guys. Bad shoots happen. Like that guy whittling on a board last week.

We need to see the dashboard video or something. They are not disputing the fact that nobody said a word to the guy before shooting him 6 times. I think instead of waltzing up on private property they should have hung back, exchanged some words, called the homeowner, something...

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    4:40pm is not night time in California.

The title of this video is misleading, he was not watering the yard and it wasn't attached to a garden hose.

I don't blame the police in this, they responded to man playing with a gun call in the city and responded. Sucks for the dead guy, but he should not have pointed anything that even closely resembles a gun at a cop.

PM? Right, I missed that. Thought it was AM.

Still, he was drunk and sitting outside someone else's house. He looked and acted like he had a gun. I wouldn't have waited to see that it was just a hose nozzle.

Yeah, there is no blame for the officers here.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Another MWAG call that worked out as they are designed to.
    This happened out in gun-hating California. They don't really understand the concept that not all people with guns are bad guys.

MWAG calls happen everywhere, not just CA. I blame the gun-hating pantywaists who originally launched the propaganda campaign of "man with a gun - dial 9-1-1".

Sounded like the dispatcher at least tried to get a description, maybe to ascertain if it actually was a gun.

Quick clarification before someone tries to misinterpret: just calling to say there's a man with a gun is not the same as reporting a crime in progress. Numerous threads here and elsewhere over the last several years indicate to me that the propaganda was at least partially successful at its intended goal. From the open carry group in VA who met for pizza (manager had no problem with it) and got the cops called on them by one lone patron, to the guys in PA at a restaurant (again with manager's OK), to the more recent case of a man open carrying on his own property in WI, to occasional incidents right here in good old Indiana, often lost in the multi-page threads arguing whether the police overreacted or not is that someone made that call, out of ignorance, spite, or otherwise.

Last edited:

lane440

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    whiteland
    The leos knew it was a gun call , did they forget training stay back undercover and use a spotlight, shout commands ect,ect, Dont they love shining people in the eyes ? ? sounds like they got worked up for a shoot out and that poor drunk man got bushwacked . Poor police work and they will get away whith it . GOD bless the murdered mans family.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I hope the neighbor is so proud of him/herself. The excuses just don't sound right. Shouldn't someone at least have a chance to surrender their weapon and give up?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The officers are reporting that he pointed the nozzle at them with a two handed grip. If that part is correct, I can't blame them for that. You shouldn't have to wait until someone shoots before you react.

Of course, let a citizen react the same way and only find a water nozzle and now we're talking about a different thing entirely.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Shot and killed due to a Garden Hose Nozzle...
    Really?! WTF...

Who can not at 16:40, 4:40 PM, 20 till 5 that a Garden Hose Nozzle is not a gun?! Simply Criminal. The Officers that actually shot should be Jailed.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    That is, if they ever had training to begin with.

Yeah, they had minimal "training". Forgot their training? No, they aimed and fired didn't they. Did they know how to identify a legitimate threat? Did they choose the best tactics to resolve the situation effectively with as little conflict as possible? No.
    What happened here is that the responding officers were incapable of controlling their own fear and anger, combined with their lack of skills, resulted in the needless death of a drunken man who was never given the chance to surrender but merely gunned down.
    Some may call it justified or an unfortunate outcome. The man was cut down by multiple officers with no warning period. I call it what it is TOTAL FAILURE on the officers part and MURDER.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Hopefully we gun owners are given more of a chance to defuse the situation when some busybody calls us in for being seen with a real gun. Just thought you'd all like to see how badly it can turn out for us.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    it wasnt even dark out but then again they tell you to drop it you should do as your told

This is the controversy, he was never told to drop it. Two officers took positions waiting for backup to arrive before confronting the man and he pointed the nozzle in their direction.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Hopefully we gun owners are given more of a chance to defuse the situation when some busybody calls us in for being seen with a real gun. Just thought you'd all like to see how badly it can turn out for us.

We smart firearm owners would not be carrying our "gun" in our hand. It would be holstered. That would make a major difference in the outcome in any situation. Gun in hand, bad choice. Gun-looking thing in hand, not thinking.

Still a "DROP IT" would seem to have been the prudent first choice.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Some may call it justified or an unfortunate outcome. The man was cut down by multiple officers with no warning period. I call it what it is TOTAL FAILURE on the officers part and MURDER.

Still a "DROP IT" would seem to have been the prudent first choice.

He aimed it at the officers. Two hand grip, raised it to aim it.

At that point, would YOU have taken a few seconds to see if he was ready to listen to commands?

I see it as self-defense on the part of the officers. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom