• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    My cousin is going to ask DNR about using it for deer and turkey. I am going to go for squirrel and other small critters. My old shop teacher wanted me to tap one for a choke tube to use on birds.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Im pretty sure its legal to electronically set it off I think CVA has a electric inline. Im not sure about DNR regs though.

I started a bed for my pop can mortar its from some ugly pine until i can get some better wood.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a lot of maple and elm. I had a couple of trees come down last year. I am going to rough cut something with the chain saw for my popcan mortar. Then belt sand it in to something that looks ok.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I am going to look at some of the fire wood at my uncles house to use for some new mortar beds.
    Dad played around with the videos and got a pretty cool still shot.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am going to look at some of the fire wood at my uncles house to use for some new mortar beds.
    Dad played around with the videos and got a pretty cool still shot.

Wow! A lot comes out of that vent!! lol How big a piece of maple you want Ethan?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    You should look at quills for setting the thing off.... they are easy to make.

Take a piece of scotch tape and dip the sticky side into 4f powder.
    Fold in half with the powder to the inside.
    Insert into paper craft straw (correctly sized for your vent)
    Leave a small portion sticking out the bottom (you can cut the straw at an angle to help penetration into the powder)
    Leave an inch or so hanging out the top
    "open" the portion on the top to expose the powder.

Will be more reliable than priming the vent and will have ALOT less powder flying around during ignition. Near instant detonation as well.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You should look at quills for setting the thing off.... they are easy to make.

Take a piece of scotch tape and dip the sticky side into 4f powder.
    Fold in half with the powder to the inside.
    Insert into paper craft straw (correctly sized for your vent)
    Leave a small portion sticking out the bottom (you can cut the straw at an angle to help penetration into the powder)
    Leave an inch or so hanging out the top
    "open" the portion on the top to expose the powder.

Will be more reliable than priming the vent and will have ALOT less powder flying around during ignition. Near instant detonation as well.

Wow! I just got a education! I always wonder what the quills really were. I should be able to use those on my mortars?
    Thanks IndyGunworks

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If you want instant ignition, and not have to wait on a fuse with an unknown detonation time, then yes you can absolutely use them in your mortar. See my thread for a linstock as well.... its the tool that is used with the quill to ignite it. There are many ways to make a linstock, a lot easier than others... I took the hard way. You could use a stock of copper pipe and some fittings to make something that's just functional.

Making your own slow match will also give you a much larger and hotter ember that way you spend less time fiddling with getting the tail of the quill to ignite.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Yea there was quite a bit of flame coming from the vent, Im experimenting with different vent diameters. I have used quills before I just need to put aside the time to make some lol.

1911ly The ugly base im making now is 14"x6.5"x4". Its made of 4 pieces of beat up pine bolted together.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If you want instant ignition, and not have to wait on a fuse with an unknown detonation time, then yes you can absolutely use them in your mortar. See my thread for a linstock as well.... its the tool that is used with the quill to ignite it. There are many ways to make a linstock, a lot easier than others... I took the hard way. You could use a stock of copper pipe and some fittings to make something that's just functional.

Making your own slow match will also give you a much larger and hotter ember that way you spend less time fiddling with getting the tail of the quill to ignite.

I will check that stuff out too. Thanks IndyGunworks!

Yea there was quite a bit of flame coming from the vent, Im experimenting with different vent diameters. I have used quills before I just need to put aside the time to make some lol.

1911ly The ugly base im making now is 14"x6.5"x4". Its made of 4 pieces of beat up pine bolted together.

I can provide you with a plank of elm or maple that big. I can plane it down to size. I want you to make me a knife or two! We'll talk in a PM.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    BP add

This is cool. Something my friends and I would probably try while our wives were busy checking on life insurance coverage.[ They typically think that if we've made it, and it goes bang, it's dangerous]. Please keep us updated on progress. I would imagine the DNR would have no problem with this for hunting, but I seem to remember something about cap and ball pistols not being legal, for deer anyway, so I'd like to hear the response on that.
    The whole idea looks fairly inexpensive and fun.
    Luck,
    Jim
    I think black powder would really enhance the whole experience. Picture the cloud coming out of that!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This is cool. Something my friends and I would probably try while our wives were busy checking on life insurance coverage.[ They typically think that if we've made it, and it goes bang, it's dangerous]. Please keep us updated on progress. I would imagine the DNR would have no problem with this for hunting, but I seem to remember something about cap and ball pistols not being legal, for deer anyway, so I'd like to hear the response on that.
    The whole idea looks fairly inexpensive and fun.
    Luck,
    Jim
    I think black powder would really enhance the whole experience. Picture the cloud coming out of that!

Freekforge makes some awesome mortars and knifes. I have a golf ball and a pop can mortar that he made. Very talented young man. I need to make base for them.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    1911ly I just saw this shoot me a PM whenever you're ready.

I'll give you a yell week after next. My daughter just dinged me for a $500 prom dress and some collage money :-( It kills the toy money but she'd a a good girl so I'll suck it up and pay out lol.

Top Bottom