36   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I got my mom the Kimber pepper blaster II. They have 2 shots and from the demo videos they appear to be pretty nasty shots at that. They also have a trigger guard so it won't accidentally go off in her purse. It is easy to shoot though, just push the guard away with your booger hooker and press the bang switch. It may not be perfect, but it is something.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    The Kimber is $40 at Gander Mountian, take one out of the box and play with it if you like, I bought my wife one, now I want one myself.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    I bought one of the original Kimber guardians for my GF. I like it. Less chance of blow back in windy conditions due to the very high pressure spray. She does need to be sure she knows how to aim it though.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Mace triple action.

I got these for my wife and daughter. It gives them multiple shots from up to twenty feet away as well as a combination of Pepper,CN tear gas, and a Dye Marker that shows up under ultra-violet light to help identify a suspect. :)

Mace link: Mace Triple Action Police Pepper Spray - Personal Defense Store - Mace®

triple-action-pepper-spray-standard-1.jpg

triple-action-pepper-spray-standard-2.jpg

victor 1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    The region
    I bought my self the pepperblaster II because I work right over the stateline in Chicago. It's always in my pocket. And then, my fellow hoosiers who work with me, bought them too, since we can't carry in the peoples republic of Chicago. Very handy device.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    Id say neither, get ordinary OC spray, the liquid stream or foam have some range to them and you could hold it down. Two shots of the pepper doesn't leave much room for error. Tazer would be much better than the pepperblaster since even if you miss it still acts as a stungun, and if you do hit them it will take the bad guy down. Whatever you get her, she needs to practice using it and have a prepared mindset and easy access to it. If its not within reach or you don't think of using it its useless.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The guy the videos may be at the 1500 in Jan at the Raven table if you have any questions:

Trek is my go-to guy for anything involving OC/CS or Tasers. He's a wealth of knowledge in that arena. (also, he's just accepted a position as Raven's operations guy, so I'm guess he'll DEFINITELY be at the 1500)

Here's an AAR from when I hosted him down in Brown County for his Less-Lethal Defensive Options Course. Good stuff.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tions_course_lovemywoods_range_8_13_11_a.html

After having a chance to get my hands on a variety of OC devices, I REALLY like the Kimber offering. Its very ergonomic, points naturally for those of us used to firearms, and can be easily carried in a purse or pocket.

Trek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    RCS HQ
    Hi all,

Tom just yelled across the office here at RCS to tell me to get on over to INGO- as he knows I love to talk Less-Lethal!:D

As with all tools- (especially ones in defensive roles) we need to evaluate our capabilities and then find a tool that can fill the gap and meet our needs as well.

The Kimber PBII and Mace OC gun are two interesting Atypical units that although similar in appearance- perform completely different.

Here are links to the write-ups on each:

Mace OC Gun
    https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=144401595631066

Kimber Pepper Blaster Series
    https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=121369571267602

to summarize both reviews- The Kimber is a handy, slim EDC OC unit that sends a pyrotechnicly fired "burst" of OC gel to 13 feet- you do need to aim and you only have two shots. The MACE OC Gun is an aerosol fired unit that is rather large and has a range of about 13 feet initially, then tapers off considerably.

Both are effective OC formulas- but bear in mind that OC takes 15-30 seconds to take full effect- what is immediate (99% of the time) is that the bad guys eyes clamp shut.

If you want 5-10 second effective time- find some Freeze +P. It is a typical unit in stream form with an 7-8 foot max range- but it shuts people down fast.

Freeze +P
    https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=121371044600788

For my protective work that I do- my Less-Lethal OC of choice is the JPX Projector- but it is big! If my work involves crowds- I use a Taser X26C. Tasers are another fun topic as they stop working the moment the juice stops flowing. So I know that a motivated person may decide to keep fighting after the battery runs out.....

Piexon JPX Projector
    https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=142431625828063

The biggest thing about OC choice is to NOT trust the claims of the manufacturer as far as range and effectiveness go. We have found aside from the Kimber and Zarc units- that dividing the claimed range by half seems to be the operational range of the unit.

As far as effectiveness- getting OC in the T-zone of the attacker is paramount. Most US OC ranges from 2 to 6 million SHU (heat units) and I can tell you after 19 hits that I cant tell the difference in heat- but the effects are the same once the OC hits the mucus membranes.

If you choose a typical "can" style unit- buy two and use one safely to test it. If you buy a Kimber or MACE OC Gun (JPX, HOTSHOT, ASP Key Defender Etc) That have training shots- use them!

I hope this helps- Great to be back on INGO!

Stay safe!

-Trek

If you have any questions- please get in touch with me through the website as it is a direct route to me BLUE CELL PROTECTIVE SERVICES - Welcome. Thanks!

Top Bottom