• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    so how much difference in accuracy between an 18" and a 22" say out to about 500 yds? If its not much id think the less weight would be ideal.

The Scout can be an accurate gun. Like most M1A you will probably have to tweak it some to get it to it's full potential.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Ooo! an M1A thread!!!

Mine:

DSCN2606_zps4376dda2.jpg

Best gun I've ever owned. 1997 vintage.

My ARs are nice and good for clearing a room & tacticool play. But even though it's heavy with its NM parts, it is still my go to gun in any SHTF scenario.

So, my vote is 22" NM grade barrel. You will happily place precision shots out to 500 yds (+) all day long.

Last edited:

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Probably just target shooting as there isn't much use for this rifle in Indiana except for maybe yotes. I'd say shooting no more then 600 yds.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Going for range... I would say no less than scout (18") ideally 22". Better to have too much than not enough

The Socom IIs have way fewer USGI parts, the stocks are cheap and flex a lot,
    Socom 16s aren't bad but also fewer USGI parts. If you find one with a black crinkle stock they are nice.

If anyone wants to try out a 22" let me know. Here is mine

IMG_20121110_112407.jpg

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The iron sights on a Socom are a close range affair, intentionally. That wide front post looks huge when shooting at something any farther than 100 yards.
    OP these last4 guys to post all have what would be a good M1A for what you want to do.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    The iron sights on a Socom are a close range affair, intentionally. That wide front post looks huge when shooting at something any farther than 100 yards.
    OP these last4 guys to post all have what would be a good M1A for what you want to do.

Yep, the sights on my Socom are only good out to 200M. Mine came with an USGI fiberglass stock not the crap plastic stock. I upgraded to a VLTOR Modstock and will be putting a Vortex Viper 1x4 on it. It will easily be a 500M capable rifle then.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Very nice rifles fellas. Santsnsinners, I appreciate the invite, might have to take u up on ur offer one of these days. Another question I have, is what makes these rifles worth 12 to 17 hundred dollars!? I'm not saying its not worth it to spend that much on a firearm but by the time you spend that much money you usually have a higher end weapon equipped with optics and the whole 9 yards. Are they really worth that much or are you just paying for a legendary name.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Warranty, history, demand, ability

Anything other than socom series is an out of the box precision rifle.

Not many other rifles are 2 moa or less out of the box.

BTW I have more than 12-17 into mine.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    what makes these rifles worth 12 to 17 hundred dollars!? I'm not saying its not worth it to spend that much on a firearm but by the time you spend that much money you usually have a higher end weapon equipped with optics and the whole 9 yards. Are they really worth that much or are you just paying for a legendary name.

My M1A has never stopped cycling because it was too dirty.

My M1A will always land a cold shot in the 10 ring at 500 yds if I dial in 22 minutes of elevation.

My M1A can land a shot in the target black at 1000 yds if I do my part.

My M1A doesn't require anything special to break down & clean.

If I take care of my M1A, it will take care of me.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    I see. Whats the warranty all about? Sounds like the 22" is the way to go. When it comes to cleaning, how would it compare to cleaning say an AR (I know these are totaly different but its what im most familiar with). Easy break down? Maybe a 1-10 scale would help. Also, what is gained when going to a NM or super match over the standard besides bragging rights? Can a guy get by with the standard 22" version or should you spend the extra and go with the top dog?

If im asking too many questions just say so, i understand...my wife drives me nuts with too many questions!

bullet293

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    OMOKOK
    the m1a is a great rifle but i bought a federal ordinance with chinese parts for 500$ that shoots real nice groups at 400yds. my buddy has a polytech(600$) and a m1a national match (1500$) that shoot the same all day long. shop around there are some good guns and prices out there.

Top Bottom