• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Ok Video Is up. Its my first gun video so be kind. I will post another videos after this weekend over ammo selections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy9gQ1EFvXo

Hey guys, Im starting a project video soon on a comparison of the M1A to a M1 Garand. This will be a side by side comparison of both rifles, with both rifles being present on the table. I want to talk about the history and finer points of both rifles. The M1A representing the M14s history. Pointing out where the design changed and where it stayed the same. Anyone have any points they think I should make sure I point out aside from the obvious such as the magazine, ammo, ect..?

This will also be a introduction to series of videos where I will take a brand new never fired NM Loaded M1A and progressively show what upgrades will increase accuracy and show this accuracy increase after each upgrade. Since the M1A NM Loaded has become such a popular rifle, over the more expensive National Match model, I want to show shooters what simple inexpensive and some more expensive upgrades can do to increase the accuracy dramatically. The goal it to inform shooters that the little things that they don't think would matter much matter quite a lot. Once the rifle is done I plan to have it upgraded to the National Match spec.

I plan to start by showing how your ammo selection affects your accuracy and how surplus ammo isn't your best bet for accuracy. Not that Surplus ammo doesn't have it place in our hearts, it just doesn't have the accracy as higher quality ammo or "properly" reloaded ammo does.

Next I will start by scoping the rifle, looking at good mounts/bases and a descent quality scope that will not break anyones bank. This is also a step that I might move farther down the line do to cost. After paying $1,700-2,000 for the rifle some people might not have the spare cash for a $150 mount and $100s for a scope. Plus I like the Sights of the M1A.

Then start looking into NM spring guides, and maybe a few USGI part swaps. Not sure if the USGI parts like the bolt and firing pin will increase accuracy but that are of superior quality.

I can go on and on about the other upgrades such as the NM Piston, Muzzle Break, Gas Lock Front Sight, Extended Bolt Stop, and Shim Set. Most likely I will combine a few of these upgrades into the same videos so I don't just draw things out.

This will be a project over time. It will take few days/weeks between youtube video releases, but I feel it will be well worth it to educate others on the M1A. I just hope my videos get views and not just lost under Call of Duty videos and airsoft crap.

PS, I want to point out I love the M1a/M14 but my favorite battle rifle of all time is still the M1 Garand! You have to love a 2 stage trigger and the feel of that action. :patriot:

SAM_0776.jpg

SAM_0781.jpg

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Great idea.

In addition, a series on getting all those thousands of M1 Garands more accurate, but still within the rules for CMP Garand matches would probably be appreciated by those M1 owners.

sakima

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    M1A / M1

There is a lot of upgrade/accuracy info in print. I don't recall ever seeing anything in a video format. I look forward to seeing your project video(s)...

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Kinda confused. You're talking about a NM configuration, yet you're going to scope it?

Irons man, irons.

Well scoping a M1A has been a popular theme for quite some time. It wont be the first upgrade, but it is in my to do list. I understand where you are coming from with the "Irons" I love'em too. The scope is just something I want to do.

Making the gun "National Match" its not my true intent. My true intent is to make this the most accurat rifle I possibly can anyway I can. Im not saying it will ever rival a M21 or M25.

Ok, this will be my goal and now its in writing.

*Take a M1A and make it as accurate as possible. Taking a Loaded National Match and upgrading and tuning it to a Sub-MOA target rifle. I will compare it to a National Match rifle in terms of accuracy and parts, I may also compare it to the Super Match and M21, but my intent for this rifle is not CMP. I may touch on the subject, but it is not the goal.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I too enjoy my M1A(Socom). I love the shorter barrel! I sold off my SAR8 to fund the purchase. I am torn between just keeping with the iron sights. I shoot 2" w/ iron @ 100yds and the gun is far more accurate than I. Right now though I have a Millet DMS-1 on it.

picture.php

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Well, get started on it. I have a loaded M1A that I have never shot that I probably bought 10 years ago. I bought most of the accessories with the coupons that came with it including a 3rd generation Springfield Armory 4-14x56 scope. You might just inspire me to dig it out, dust it off, improve it a little and then go shoot it.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Well, get started on it. I have a loaded M1A that I have never shot that I probably bought 10 years ago. I bought most of the accessories with the coupons that came with it including a 3rd generation Springfield Armory 4-14x56 scope. You might just inspire me to dig it out, dust it off, improve it a little and then go shoot it.
    I should be done videoing the comparison tonight. Editing by tomorrow. Next week I will start the upgrading. As for upgrades goes I plan to start with the guide rod first. See what kinda help that gives me.

I plan to do some shooting this weekend just to get some 100 yard groups together with NATO ball ammo. Then compare the groups to groups I get with Federal Gold 168 grain match, and 168 grain sierra match king reloads.

I want to start the upgrade videos with ammo selection so some new shooters can really see what your choice of ammo does to your accuracy.

Do you guys think I should try to get actual shooting videos of the M1A? Im not doing anything fancy just grouping at 100Yards. I don't know if people would find that boring? I know I think most shooting videos are boring unless its someone like mag30th on youtube shooting 1000 yards with a Mosin Nagant or something. I just want to see what you want to see.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

vick1

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   1
    Dec 24, 2010
    Indiana
    VID

Nice... I have owned both and sold the M1A do to 7.62 going way up... Still have my Garands due to CMP Ammo but it has gone up and 308 has gone down... I hope the CMP gets some 7.62....

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Ya, the price is kinda high right now. Its not too bad reloading. I will be doing a video on ammo for the M1A and will address the prices also.

mikebaker1129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Houston ,TX
    I would also recommend shimming the gas cylinder. Shim sets are cheap and this is a good easy way to get more accuracy out of your rifle with just a few $ spent.
    I concur about the NM spring guide, I use a Sadlak in a couple of mine.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    I would also recommend shimming the gas cylinder. Shim sets are cheap and this is a good easy way to get more accuracy out of your rifle with just a few $ spent.
    I concur about the NM spring guide, I use a Sadlak in a couple of mine.

Good point. I will look into ordering a set. Right now I holding back on a few things I'm ordering for the M1A. My uncle is pressuring me to finish his 1925 Enfield restoration. Rebuing, replacement stock, and a few extras are killing my budget. lol

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Hey guys, I have been trying to get out all weekend and shoot but where I am the wind has been blowing so hard I didn't get a chance to shoot.

For those of you that don't know I do not live in Indiana. I am from Marion, but Im active duty military and Im stationed in the Mojave Desert in California. So when the wind blows... its blows lol

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Hey guys, I have been trying to get out all weekend and shoot but where I am the wind has been blowing so hard I didn't get a chance to shoot.

For those of you that don't know I do not live in Indiana. I am from Marion, but Im active duty military and Im stationed in the Mojave Desert in California. So when the wind blows... its blows lol

Thanks for your service, and for your contributions here at INGO! :patriot::ingo:

Top Bottom