• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • punker39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    north west side indianapolis
    i have a m1 and i was out shooting it today and i have noticed many times that the gas tube plug under the end of the barrel loosens up when i shoot, dose any one that uses m1 have any sugestions what i should do or what you have done to fix this ?

Glennster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    You could build one of these if you're a cheap Redneck like me........
    P1050640.jpg

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I bought a special tool from the CMP several years ago and it works great. The Garand combo tool works great also. I keep both of these tools in my range tool box. I use them a lot. Some people are afraid they might over tighten the plug. Don't be afraid to crank it down.

Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    Are we talking M1 Garand or M1A? Glennster, that is a totally awesome castle nut wrench. Unfortunately I don't have the tools to make that bad boy. Can you make handguard pliers too?

Last edited:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I use an M1 Combo tool or a large philips screwdriver, either works well.... and it does have a specified torque but tighten it down well and you shouldnt have any more issues.

indycruzr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Indy Westside
    I know I sure to like to squeeze the rounds off my M1. I agree with others posts that a large phillips screw driver will work to tighten the "Gase Cylinder Plug". But there maybe another reason it's loose. You might need to check that the fins on the "Gase Cylinder Lock" are locking down tight with the barrel. Then tighten with the phillips driver.

I also notice my plug get loose in cold temperature as well, regardless of how tight the plug was originally.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom