• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrentC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Louisville
    I just bought my M&P Shield 9mm. While there, the guy who sold it to me showed me his Shield and let me feel the difference in my stock trigger versus his which he did a trigger job on (he is a Smith M&P Armorer) and I am 99% sure I want to get the trigger job on my Shield. I did the trigger job on my Glock 23 myself a year or so ago, bought the parts at Lotus Gun Works and did it in a matter of a few minutes by watching an instructional video on You Tube a few times. I am told the internals of S&W M&P's while similar to Glocks, are not near as simple. Saying that, I am wondering if I should just pay the Armorer who I bought the Shield from $90 to do it for me or if I can do a Glock by watching instructional videos I should be able to do the same with the Shield. What are your thoughts?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    $90 for a trigger job and installation? Damn, M&Ps aren't hard to work on. Is he polishing the trigger bar too? Or is he replacing the firing pin block and sear too? Or polishing the firing pin block?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    $90 is a little high but I wouldn't do it myself unless I was very familiar with the process. How much does it cost to repair a botched trigger job? If you bought an after market trigger kit and installed it, you would probably be in at least $90?

Imo somethings are worth paying for to have them done correctly the first time.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I've used Bowie Tactical for M&P trigger jobs. The price tag is $75 plus. Also he is in OH so there could be shipping costs depending. But factory parts so no additional cost there. The result is a very nice trigger and IMO worth the money. I'd love to compare my trigger to the USDS or DIY just as a reference point.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    USDS charges $50 labor to install apex parts. That's $50 + the parts.. As Chezuki said it's not rocket surgery but if you haven't had one apart it can be a little frustrating and possibly you will wish you paid the $50. :). That being said the worst that will happen is that you take it to someone disassembled. $50 is what I would charge and it wouldn't matter if it was together or in pieces. (as long as all the pieces are there) :) There is 1 small spring that retains the takedown lever that is very easy to misplace.. keep that in mind if you are doing yourself.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

BrentC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Louisville
    How does the term "liability" strike you?

Are you referring to the legal liability I could get into should I have to use the gun in self defense and it comes up in trial that I had a trigger job done and the prosecutor try to portray me as some quick to shoot cowboy type? I have been trying to find a case where this came up in a case and it was used against the gun owner but cannot find one. Have you found one?

BrentC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Louisville
    $90 is a little high but I wouldn't do it myself unless I was very familiar with the process. How much does it cost to repair a botched trigger job? If you bought an after market trigger kit and installed it, you would probably be in at least $90? .

The $90 covers all parts and the installation, I have to bring nothing but the firearm itself

Imo somethings are worth paying for to have them done correctly the first time.

I was thinking that too. Glocks are so simple I think anyone who can watch a video could do it. I don't know if M&P's are that simple also. This is the first I have ever owned so I don't really know what I am getting myself into whereas I had taken Glocks apart and reassembled several times and knew exactly what I was getting myself into.

BrentC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Louisville
    $90 for a trigger job and installation? Damn, M&Ps aren't hard to work on. Is he polishing the trigger bar too? Or is he replacing the firing pin block and sear too? Or polishing the firing pin block?

It was getting close to closing time so I didn't have a chance to go into the details but he did say that when I got the gun back he would include all the original parts should I have want to go back to stock.

BrentC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Louisville
    It really is a simple DIY...

It very well maybe and I just need to get online more to watch the process. While there are plenty of You Tube videos on how to field strip a Shield, I have only found a few about how to do a detail strip. One I watched this guy was beating the snot out of the pins with punches to get them out. Is that really necessary or was this guy going overboard? I am used to my Glock where you just have to push them out and your are good to go, no banging required.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It very well maybe and I just need to get online more to watch the process. While there are plenty of You Tube videos on how to field strip a Shield, I have only found a few about how to do a detail strip. One I watched this guy was beating the snot out of the pins with punches to get them out. Is that really necessary or was this guy going overboard? I am used to my Glock where you just have to push them out and your are good to go, no banging required.

M&P pins will not just push out like a Glock, you have to persuade them a bit. Other than getting the pins out, it's not any more difficult than a Glock, just a little different. Beware of the devil spring under the rear sight.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Yup, roll pins require them being hit instead of pushed. Doesn't hurt to have a slave pin for the trigger and rebound spring. They're pretty easy, the modular system is pretty slick and user friendly

BrentC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Louisville
    M&P pins will not just push out like a Glock, you have to persuade them a bit. Other than getting the pins out, it's not any more difficult than a Glock, just a little different. Beware of the devil spring under the rear sight.

OK, just wanted to make sure that is the correct method before beating on my Shield. While watching his video, all I could envision were internal parts being damaged. If I have some free time this weekend, maybe I will disassemble and reassemble my Shield to get my confidence up that I can do the trigger job myself.

I have taken the striker out and when putting it back, after pushing down on the safety, I really have to play with the striker to get it to "snap" into place. Not sure what I am doing.

Top Bottom