• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Serious question here. I'm not a handgun guy. I have two, a .44 mag Ruger Blackhawk and a .25 Raven. I don't have a LTCH, and don't desire one.

In the classifieds, I often see "must see Indiana DL and LTCH". What happens when Indiana passes open carry, not requiring LTCH? Just a question....

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Serious question here. I'm not a handgun guy. I have two, a .44 mag Ruger Blackhawk and a .25 Raven. I don't have a LTCH, and don't desire one.

In the classifieds, I often see "must see Indiana DL and LTCH". What happens when Indiana passes open carry, not requiring LTCH? Just a question....
    I suppose they will do all their transactions with FFL holders in the future.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't have an answer, but that is a good point. Not one I'd considered! Of course it's not required by law to show your LTCH to buy a handgun, privately or through an FFL. People in the classifieds usually do it just to ease their own minds that the buyer is a "proper person". They don't know if the LTCH is valid or not of course, but at least they've done their due diligence.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I suppose they will do all their transactions with FFL holders in the future.
    iu

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Technically, nothing. Law abiding Indiana residents will no longer have to show a LTCH to legally carry a handgun. Nor will they have to wait for the State to grant them permission to carry a handgun.

In the context of gun purchases, the LTCH is not required to purchase a handgun in Indiana. Individuals who sell guns to others in private transactions often require the buyer to show their LTCH to provide some assurance that the buyer is clean and can probably pass a background check.

I would probably conduct a private sale at a FFL and do the background check.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Technically, nothing. Law abiding Indiana residents will no longer have to show a LTCH to legally carry a handgun. Nor will they have to wait for the State to grant them permission to carry a handgun.

In the context of gun purchases, the LTCH is not required to purchase a handgun in Indiana. Individuals who sell guns to others in private transactions often require the buyer to show their LTCH to provide some assurance that the buyer is clean and can probably pass a background check.
    Exactly, and if they are that queasy about their potential buyers, the FFL is the only alternative that will appease their sensibilities.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I would probably conduct a private sale at a FFL and do the background check.
    I said it first!
    :p

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Isn't Indiana going to still offer the LTCH? Like Arizona does not require it to carry but they still offer a license, permit, or whatever they call it. Reason being for when they are in another state that has reciprocity, they need to hold a license from Arizona to legally carry.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    We each have our lines in the sand.

I, personally, have no problem flashing my IN DL for a long gun purchase and (lifetime) LTCH for a handgun purchase, from an individual selling a firearm to a total stranger.

Like @DoggyDaddy said, due diligence.

For those that disagree strongly... just find a like-minded seller or one that is not a stranger.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Isn't Indiana going to still offer the LTCH? Like Arizona does not require it to carry but they still offer a license, permit, or whatever they call it. Reason being for when they are in another state that has reciprocity, they need to hold a license from Arizona to legally carry.
    That was / is my concern.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It will be interesting to see how they adapt. My guess is that some will get over it and others will go dealer only. No cash bets on the percentages.
    Oh I'm sure the more skittish might do exactly that. As you know, even as an 03 FFL holder, I have to require DL information if I sell one of my C&R firearms. I haven't had a lot of people balk at that, but it has happened before. And vice versa when I've explained to some sellers (especially GB) that they can ship directly to me. That's the same type of person that would require the LTCH probably.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Oh I'm sure the more skittish might do exactly that. As you know, even as an 03 FFL holder, I have to require DL information if I sell one of my C&R firearms. I haven't had a lot of people balk at that, but it has happened before. And vice versa when I've explained to some sellers (especially GB) that they can ship directly to me. That's the same type of person that would require the LTCH probably.
    IMO, documentation of information is different than seeing an IN DL with your picture... I really don't care what your name is just that you're an Indiana resident of age and don't give me reason to believe you are unauthorized for transfer... and yup, I'll sell you my rifle/shotgun.

Understood, you have to follow FFL rules... orange is overrated, it's not the new black. :)

Top Bottom