Lost Hikers - How often does this happen and who pays for the search?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Anyone who decides to walk out in unknown woods, without basic 10 items(under a cost of $75)and leaves no message with a responsible party, or clothes to sustain deserves a little anxiety of being lost.
    Sat phone, cell phone, cheap 22 cal gun and 100 cartridges, might save your life.

Go light, learn stupid lessons, and hope you're found. If you are hurt, hope you had first aid class in Boy Scouts. At least put out a distress call, hang an orange or yellow shirt visible to ground or air S&R.
    Most lost could be prevented with a little reading and backyard practice. Compass and map and GPS doesn't hurt either. Water. little non perishable snacks and food.

I have been turned around a couple of times and a map/compass and calm solved my dilemma.
    DNR even drove up and offered me a ride, was only 3 miles turned around during deer hunting season. Got home in time for dinner. Wifey knew to call if too late, and my boot impression was on dashboard of my truck in tin foil. Good luck.
    At least take water. it amazes me how many people I see on the trail (just park loops, not backpack trails) that dont even have a water bottle.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    At least take water. it amazes me how many people I see on the trail (just park loops, not backpack trails) that dont even have a water bottle.
    We did a loop hike down inside Bryce Canyon. A couple trail host at the trailhead of the loop answered a couple questions we had. Then thanked us for being prepared: map, whistles, Garmin, hats, water! and the gear they couldn’t see but assumed we had.

1ECA22F4-0C5B-4252-9602-03B6269DB889.jpeg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I'm guessing those that get lost in Indiana, Deam especially, don't have any more backcountry experience than state parks. I will say it is hard to walk a straight path in the forest. Especially so when it's in bloom. The show Mythbusters did an episode about walking 'straight' in the woods. So the inexperienced, unprepared probably wind up walking in circles. Upthread the mention of phone and gps... I was under the impression that most phones use land based GPS now. Pinging towers to triangulate. I don't understand how downloading a map to the device would help if the device can't find itself, so to speak. My antique Garmin uses satellites. It will burn up the batteries so carrying spare batts is a must. However, if the canopy is thick or I'm in a particularly low spot it's connection to the satellites can be spotty at best.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Deam is my favorite Indiana backpacking area. I've done many overnight hikes there, and a couple of multi-nighters. For me, the charm of Deam is all of the off-trail areas you can bushwhack out to, and be pretty much alone for as long as you want. I normally use my Iphone with the All Trails app, and I don't remember ever not having a cell signal anywhere in Deam. I also always have a backup power source for my phone. In fact, on my last Deam trip in June, I found a nice solar charger just laying in the grass at the horse camp. I'm a bit "directionally challenged" myself, but I've never been really lost. Probably because, knowing how I am, I try to always be prepared. Also, like other HNF areas, it can be hard to find water during the dry times at Deam. Wonder if the couple got off the trail looking for water and lost their way.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I had texted my son to tell him about the lost couple and he told me he was at Deam by himself that weekend testing out a new tent and he saw them carrying to the woman out.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm guessing those that get lost in Indiana, Deam especially, don't have any more backcountry experience than state parks. I will say it is hard to walk a straight path in the forest. Especially so when it's in bloom. The show Mythbusters did an episode about walking 'straight' in the woods. So the inexperienced, unprepared probably wind up walking in circles. Upthread the mention of phone and gps... I was under the impression that most phones use land based GPS now. Pinging towers to triangulate. I don't understand how downloading a map to the device would help if the device can't find itself, so to speak. My antique Garmin uses satellites. It will burn up the batteries so carrying spare batts is a must. However, if the canopy is thick or I'm in a particularly low spot it's connection to the satellites can be spotty at best.

I don't know about 'most phones' but smart phones of any quality have a GPS chip that uses the satellites. Some of the newer/top end ones even support dual frequency.

My S10+ does not need towers or a data signal for the GPS to work, I can use it in airplane mode and still navigate just like I can with a Garmin.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Many, many years and a war ago, I went to PLDC, at Camp Cook, LA. I thought it was strange how they had us wear bright yellow fluorescent vest with LOTS of reflective plastic white vinyl. They kept STRESSING "don't go past a tree with a purple band painted at eye level!!!!" The land navigation area was HUGE with lots of thickets, hills, and swamps.
    Then they told us why they had all the SAFETY MEASURES!!!!
    A guy, 10 years ago, got lost, climbed the fence and kept walking.....he ended up going about 5 miles from the course. He walked up to an observation tower that was getting ready to observe 155mm howitzer rounds impacting!!!! He had partially walked right thru the impact area of an artillery range!!!!

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I guess I forgot to type, EVERY tree on the border of the Land Navigation/Compass course had a 8 to 12" purple band painted on it. One of my waypoints was close to this "wall" of purple.....it was quiet impressive!!!!!

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I almost got lost at Willow Slough years ago. In an area I was familiar with no less. There is a building panic that takes over and you really do start walking in circles. It was only a few hours of time but I leaned a lesson. I pay attention to my bearings even when I know exactly where I am.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Somewhere in these forums is a discussion about a lost hiker at Fort Ben who called 911. Dude was literally 100 yards from Boy Scout road on a trail if memory serves. Some people just aren't able to process the idea of direction or visual and audible clues.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Somewhere in these forums is a discussion about a lost hiker at Fort Ben who called 911. Dude was literally 100 yards from Boy Scout road on a trail if memory serves. Some people just aren't able to process the idea of direction or visual and audible clues.
    Fort Ben? Brah... :rolleyes:

I don't understand. It's swarming with people, the longest loop trail is only a couple miles, and you can't go more than a few hundred yards on one of those trails without seeing a road.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Fort Ben? Brah... :rolleyes:

I don't understand. It's swarming with people, the longest loop trail is only a couple miles, and you can't go more than a few hundred yards on one of those trails without seeing a road.
    It was getting dark, so that probably contributed to him getting the willys and calling for help. :nailbite:

O Kelps

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2022
    Nashville, IN
    911 dispatcher here. Typically if these calls come through the 911 system, tax money is the primary means of paying for search and rescue service. Usually a combination of police and fire response is needed to find people. DNR gets funds from licenses and permits as well as park fees that contribute to conservation officer budgets but they get tax money as well. In this case, Monroe Fire Protection District is primarily funded through local taxes and are big suppliers of manpower in lost persons. Lost persons vary by location as others have pointed out. Here in Brown County, we get them somewhat regularly. It's not uncommon in the warmer and busier months for us to get at least one a week. I don't think I've gone a month without hearing about or dealing with one myself. Most are not a very difficult response and are quickly dealt with but others take quite a long time to find them.

Top Bottom