Looking to buy an Ak. What do I need to know?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mousegun87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mead
    Like the title says. I'm looking get into AKs. Want to go with 7.62x39, fixed or side folder stock. What should I look for? Any brands to avoid or recommend?
    If the trunion is anything other than forged steel just walk away. Next is the bolt and bolt carrier should be forged as well. Chrome lined bore and chamber is what an AK was equipped originally. Make sure the front sight base is straight, not canted.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    You can still find a Norinco MAK-90 for under $1500. Best factory trigger of any AK imported into the land of shall not be infringed. If you can put up with the Bush-hole stock, great. If you want to remove (and save) that abomination and install the standard stock and pistol grip, great too but make sure the rear of the receiver is straight cut (squared off) and not angle cut. Do it quickly as Chinese stock parts are skyrocketing like the rifle.

As others have said, the newer WASR-10s and ZPAPs are also good choices.
    Jeez, I remember going to a fun show in South Bend and MAK-90's were $125 but then I remember when the Dead Sea was just sick. Shoulda bought a whole crate.

Kalashboi794

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2023
    Lafayette, IN
    Like the title says. I'm looking get into AKs. Want to go with 7.62x39, fixed or side folder stock. What should I look for? Any brands to avoid or recommend?
    I'd go with either a WASR, WPB, or maybe a Yugo Zastava model such as a Zpap or Mpap. Avoid pioneer arms, riley defense, and VSKA's. VSKA's have a reputation of rear trunions being weak specifically if I remember correctly. PSA is a decent option too, however make sure you get a newer one as the older ones have a reputation of poor QC but it seems to be better now. I have a WASR10 V2 and haven't had any issues with it. Wasr's can sometimes have canted sights so I'd inspect first in person if possible. I guess I got lucky with my sights having barely any cant to them. It's not that noticeable if you aren't looking for it. The wings on the front sight protector are slightly different sizes than one another but I don't think its a big deal as you don't notice it that much either since its barely noticeable if you aren't looking for it. Very accurate gun imo.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Jeez, I remember going to a fun show in South Bend and MAK-90's were $125 but then I remember when the Dead Sea was just sick. Shoulda bought a whole crate.
    It is hard to believe that when the MAK-90 showed up they gathered dust on dealer shelves. Now they are realized as among the better factory AK variants.

The problem that the SAR series ran into was they were imported as complete 100% Romanian AKMs. To meet the sporting purpose clause of the new AT and unconstitutional F second amendment the importer, Century replaced the fire control group with their own parts which weren't 100% to spec causing many rifle to have major trigger slap. Century also replaced the gas piston and instead of leaving it loose as was designed, they welded it in place which in some rifles cause problems. Turned out it wasn't the rifle but the importer that gave them a bad reputation.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Ok, I gonna chime in , my advise don't! Why would you (or anyone) want a rifle with a poor trigger, mediocre (at best) accuracy & poor sights?
    I personally refuse to spend my cash on something that doesn't meet the above criteria.
    Yes I know I'm gonna get piled on, anytime you wanna get together and shoot your rifles vs my service rifle, let's do it. Rapid prone at 300 yards? OK slow prone at 600 yards ok, or even offhand at 200, no problem. I will even shoot irons on my rifle while you shoot optics on your AK .
    Save your cash, build a 700 Remington (or clone) buy a Rock River Arms, one of the several other accurate rifles out on the market

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ok, I gonna chime in , my advise don't! Why would you (or anyone) want a rifle with a poor trigger, mediocre (at best) accuracy & poor sights?
    I personally refuse to spend my cash on something that doesn't meet the above criteria.
    Yes I know I'm gonna get piled on, anytime you wanna get together and shoot your rifles vs my service rifle, let's do it. Rapid prone at 300 yards? OK slow prone at 600 yards ok, or even offhand at 200, no problem. I will even shoot irons on my rifle while you shoot optics on your AK .
    Save your cash, build a 700 Remington (or clone) buy a Rock River Arms, one of the several other accurate rifles out on the market
    That's really apples and oranges. It would be like telling someone that wanted a good shotgun for trap shooting to buy a rifle instead because you can hit a clay target at 500 yards. :scratch:

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville

Variety is the spice of life. Shooting AKs is just good fun. Granted, I enjoyed it much more when ammo was 20 cents a round delivered to my front door.....

StumpGump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2022
    Avon
    I would go check out psa daily deals for a blem gf3 4 or 5. You can get one starting at $600 and some of the bundles come with 10 mag + rifle case. Great way to check out the platform and leaves plenty of money on the table for the price of ammo.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    No, but recommending a bolt action to someone looking for a semi-auto makes no sense. I bet I can fire 30 rounds faster with my AK than you can with your Remington 700, so nyah! :p See how little sense that makes?
    Maybe you did notice I also suggested a RRA (semi auto)

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    And I would have no problem ringing steel at 100 yards (or more) with my AK. It was designed for minute-of-man, not MOA. It's not a sniper rifle.
    Offer a different option then the group think and your the bad guy, the OP asked for thoughts and opinions, so I rendered mine.

By the way, no "sniper rifle" not even a match rifle, a service rifle with iron sight and me on the ground with a sling no bi pod...but we are now off topic

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Offer a different option then the group think and your the bad guy, the OP asked for thoughts and opinions, so I rendered mine.

By the way, no "sniper rifle" not even a match rifle, a service rifle with iron sight and me on the ground with a sling no bi pod...but we are now off topic
    No, you're not the bad guy. It's all good. :thumbsup:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Zastava ZPAP, WBP Jack or FB Radom Beryl

I wouldn't recommend any Arsenal rifle made after 2019.

I wouldnt recommend a WASR either unless you know what to look for before buying/transferring.
    If you're not a purist and want 5.56 in AK, those are the bee's knees; very well made.

Top Bottom